• Tweets

• If a DCA supplies a reconstituted copy of the CCA what would be the next step. It seems that a reconstituted copy must be a " true copy " of the executed agreement, it must contain the Prescribed Terms. But given that there is no copy of the applicants signature surely it could be an agreement form with the details filled in. How can it be assumed that this " copy " represents a true copy that the claimant has supposed to have signed. Cabot have demonstrated a bit of sabre rattling when they say "Until we're able to provide this information , your account is unenforceable. This means we're not permitted to obtain a County Court judgement against you . Whilst we cannot pursue legal action, your balance remains outstanding ". I looked up a case... Cabot UK Ltd  v  Bachellier (2010) which might help, but it's tough reading, I'd prefer to plough through War and Peace. This particular case with Cabot is not huge , approx' £140, but the only other worry that I have is also with Cabot...£2100. They may try to make a point with lesser case.        
    • you'll never find a court open on a w/end MB. all courts are closed Good Friday and Bank Holiday Monday. However as Andy points out, that does NOT mean you get 2 extra days to file, you get one, same as xmas/new Year. UKPC have not filed their, so no rush on yours as dave says.  
    • Top US magazine slams Britain after 14 years of Tory ‘psychodrama’ The New Yorker’s excoriating report on the state of the UK lays bare how Britain’s withdrawal from the European Union (EU) “catalysed some of the worst tendencies in British politics”. “The only way to think about it is as a psychodrama enacted, for the most part, by a small group of middle-aged men who went to élite private schools, studied at the University of Oxford, and have been climbing and chucking one another off the ladder of British public life" Top US magazine slams Britain after 14 years of Tory ‘psychodrama’ WWW.INDEPENDENT.CO.UK The New Yorker’s excoriating report on the state of the UK lays bare how Britain’s withdrawal from the European Union (EU) “catalysed...  
    • UK travellers are being caught out by post-Brexit passport rules.   When do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule? WWW.BBC.COM UK travellers have been turned away at airports because their passports are not valid for EU travel.                                   
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 160 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Computeach! or will they?

leaves007
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3348 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I've joined the Facebookgroup!

It would be rather pointless of me to share my experience with con-puteach, because it's exactly the same experience, as though it would seem, as what everyone who signs up to con-puteach experiences! SMcBeanhead pretty much summed up my experience, but in a nutshell, what con-puteach do is legal day light robbery. Anyone reading this forum whom is considering doing a con-puteach course - I just want to echo what others have already said:

DO NOT DO IT- It is nothing more than a legal way of conning innocent people by the means of the crappiest course material going. At the time I was annoyed that I'd willingly let these cowboy teachers steal my money. Now however, I see it as just a really bad decision I made all them years ago. What led me to search on Google about con-puteach complaints was the fact I'm bored and was just thinking of ways I could harass Con-puteach to see if I could reclaim my money and for a bit of fun! I might start a legal battle just for the fun of it and see where I get! These professional conartists deserve everything that gets thrown their way.

• 3 months later...

Another unsatisfied customer here... I started with Computeach in 2003, also with a CDL. I signed up to their "special offer" for two modules for the price of one. Microsoft Certified Database Administrator plus some programming stuff. Total cost, about £4,500.

The accelerated nature of the course to fit in with the payment timescale of the CDL was not explained to me when I originally signed up, otherwise I think I would have been put off. Neither was the timescale for the double module structure made clear.

Like most here, I found the course materials poorly put together, feedback on exercises confusing and tutors not readily available. I went to the first workshop, and found most of the other students had had similar experiences and were mostly farther behind than me.

Then November 2003 I suffered a severe breakdown, followed by a very sudden bereavement. I had to take a period off and when I returned to study, I hit the wall of the first really major exam. I read all the materials over and over again, but the answers simply were not in there. They updated my course mid-way (to SQL Server 2000) and took two months to send the new materials. I took the exam twice, failed twice (I have read online of people who took this test nine times and failed), and the second time sent in a very detailed list of queries to try to get to the bottom of some of the theory.

It took two months to get an answer to my queries, and when it came, it was a generic list of answers rather than addressing any of the points I was struggling with.

Also at this time, my partner became severely depressed, and I spent a lot of time caring for him. This swallowed up a lot of study time, but more than that, I had no idea how to proceed with the course since there seemed no way to get the information necessary to pass the exam. I couldn't find anything online that seemed compatible with the way the test was constructed.

Between my partner's depression (and alcoholism and debt crises) and my own continuing illness, I made little further progress. I was granted two extensions on health grounds, but did not know how to progress past the blocks in my way.

I never received any course materials - books or software - for the second part of my course. I only went to one seminar at CT Headquarters. I never got as far as using their careers service. I am still confused as to whether they set my course deadline correctly to allow for both the modules that I paid for, or whether I could have accessed any teaching for the second part of my course (can anyone clarify this?). I understand that Computeach may say it wasn't their fault I couldn't complete the course, but it wasn't exactly mine, either, and they did not do much to help.

I feel that I was poorly advised on the choice of course, on the double module offer, and on the decision to take out a CDL. I think that the timescale was not properly explained, that the materials and "tuition" were largely not fit for purpose. This thread makes me feel a little less stupid that I couldn't finish the course, and maybe a little less guilty that I got suckered in, but a little more angry and keen to get some kind of compensation.

I have looked for the Facebook group but it doesn't seem to be available anymore. Are there any other groups for people trying to get compensation, and does anyone have any success stories in this area?

• 2 months later...

How to get your money back from Computeach.

(1) Write & tell them your complaint. Keep ALL paperwork

(2) Get a form from small claims court & sue for just under £5,000

Write your complaint to the court in detail i.e. they didn't check

you were suitable

(3) My friend sent copies all documents to court.

(4) Strangely Computeach didn't even reply

(5) You should get a judgement against Computeach without attending court

(6) Look on internet, find HCEOs (High Court Enforcement Officers)

in Walsall. Send them a copy of judgement, phone them

(7) They will send a bailiff round who should easily extract your money & their costs.

(8) Then tackle Barclays Partner Finance & say how awful it is that they should be connected with such an awful company that flouts the law. Ask for most of the interest back. Sit back & wait.

Good luck

Come on, people; for 4 grand you could do a full time MSc and be far more employable.
Now, unfortunately, the above is definitely NOT true! There is noway to find a degree course for just 4K. That is precisely the reason why I was tempted to try the HLC - I needed some UK certificate as my MAs and an ongoing PhD from my country didn't get me very far in the UK. If only university courses in the UK had been more affordable, with flexible payment schemes like these rip-offs!

As to misrepresentation/mis-selling: did you have a chance to sample the course before you committed to a contract, or during the cooling period? Like, read the books they had sent, do some assignments, have a look around the VLC etc? My guess is your answer is most probably no, and you could use that when you launch your complaint.

I'm afraid the original poster has left and has hopefully solved the problem and forgotten about it, but if anyone else is in a similar situation: maybe it might be worthwhile to make a SAR? I'd specifically request them to provide what data they hold on you related to academic activity: attendance of webinars (if any), submitted assignments, attempts (successful or not) of talking to tutors etc. Just a hunch, might help if you need to escalate it by taking the problem to the Ombudsman, small claims or wherever.

P.S. Edited to correct inaccuracies & add a suggestion.

Edited by fractal

• 1 month later...

hello and thank you in advance.i was wonderign if u can help me wiht ur advice.

just before christmas i received a debt collector for amount of 10000. after i have been in touch with them they said is regarding a course that i have taken wiht computeach through barclays finance.

i was approach from one of their agent back on 2008 and they manage to enroll me with a microsoft course.

i did reseach on them an i saw it was not the right decetion. so i sent a letterr to cancelled it. latter on after a while i received a letter from barclays. then i contact computeach to check why i receved a letter for finance when i cancell it. they told me that they did not received my cancellation and that i cant cancell it now. i was adviced to send on writting which i did.

had no responed and now 3 years later i still have issue with debt collector. the debt collector is requesting a letter of confimation from computeach that i have not taken the course. the computeach says that i have taken it.

the irony is that i have no taken any lessons or attend any of their class or anyhting.

i was wonderign if u can advice me what should i do. thank you for your time.

• 6 months later...

Hi

After finding this thread I have to say my bit.

I signed up for computeach in October 2011 (distance learning), I was sold a fantastic course by the salesman, I could take as many exams as I wanted, re sits included, which is true.... to a point.

I started doing the course, you have to get over 90% in the mock exams (in each subject area, not just overall) before you can do an exam, which in my opinion is ridiculously high, when the exam pass mark is not that high!

If you fail the exam, you have to get 90% in another mock WITHIN 3 ATTEMPTS - putting pressure on the students, in my opinion just wasting time.

When I complained I got nowhere, the tutors were not all that helpful and said 'thats our policy' which I requested a copy of but was told it wasn't a written policy! I gave up in the end as the year passed and I only managed to take 2 exams.

The books they send are available on ebay for about £50, with the CD containing mock exams, and the exams themselves are only about £100.

If only I had read this forum before signing up.

Please no one else make the same mistake and waste nearly £2000.

I'd just like to say thanks to all who have contributed to this post as for the last few months I have been giving some serious consideration to the computeach thing. By chance I googled the word computeach with various other words like [problem], unhappy, etc and found this forum.

Ive been repairing / servicing / upgrading PC's and laptops for the last 10 years now aswell as building highly bespoke systems... all this as a sideline to my main line of work as a delivery driver. Last year my delivery work started drying up to the point where I can no longer count on it to pay the bills so naturally im looking for a prestigious route to break into the world of IT.

Computeach ticked all the boxes for me because it appeared to be flexible enough to study while I continue to earn. Im 31 now and it seems to me that the older you get the harder it is to secure any funding to support educational desires. Thanks to you peeps im still in the position to choose who to give my hard earned cash to rather than contributing to the lengthy list of extremely unhappy c̶u̶s̶t̶o̶m̶e̶r̶s̶ victims that I am so sorry to see here.

I hope you can all draw a small amount of solice from knowing that you've saved this guy from the clutches of this septic tank.

Best wishes to all

Does anyone know if that Facebook group is still active? Ive a request to join it and share myy experience but noone seems to be responding!

I woz trapped with the 'cooling off period' [problem] that they run in their small print. When you sign on the dotted line, your supposed to get so many days to cancel. Now, as anyone else would do to make sure the company is a good one, I logged into their student site to check them out and after seeing it didn't want to go on with it. So I tried to cancel.

But, they told me that cuz I had 'accessed their services' within the cooling off period, I woznt entitled to my money back. Its something their sales dont tell you but their quick to lie and promised 24 hour tutor support when thats just not tru.

I read on another review site (The review centre dot com), like daisy-chain said, that a student of theirs (username of ProfessorMesser on that site) woz complaining cuz their subscription period had come to an end and Computeach, rather than it just expiring like every other fixed period contract in the world, just kept on taking his money without notifying him!!! Plus he said their careers department were rubbish, the bloke in their office just surfing the internet for job and other links that everyone just does for free. I woz about to respond with my own review but Computeach had the review removed to boost their reputation. I asked the review website and they said its 'validity' was being checked but it woz obvious it woz from a real student wehn you read similar stuff on the net from other exstudents. Then a load of questionable reviews popped up in its place with marketing type slogans for the titles! Moral of the story? Their fighting for every bit of reputation boosting they can get - go on to the review site and leave tru reviews before they con more people.

If your signed up with them and your contract period is coming to an end, cancel your direct debit! If your just signed up and want to cancel cuz youve searched the net and found out their tru reputation, dont access their student web site! Research the exam, buy a book on amazon for £20 on the topic, register for the £50 exam at a test center near you. Its faaaar cheaper than giving them 4 grand for nothing!

On an additional note, I woz contacted not so long ago by them to ask if their woz anything else theyd like me to see them doing, like selling second hand computer parts or insurance!!! Come on ... they must be struggling! Would you trust a distance learning company to sell you insurance when their so quick to lie for a quick buck? They wouldnt pay up if you needed them!!!

Edited by Batesy2012
Additional info

It's also clear that Computeach are getting so many complaints about them they've set someone on the case of trying to go out there onto the forums and attempt to censor everything.

Sorry Computeach but it's never going to happen people will hear about your con, nothing you can do about it. If you knew anything about computers you would probably understand that, there's too many forums and networks out there. You would be better off trying to keep your head down now and counting your ill gotten gains (maybe thinking of your next con?).

Please people Computeach training you and getting you into the IT industry is about as likely as you suddenly receiving 2 million dollars from a nigerian benefactor (one that just needs you to send them 4 grand to release the funds first).

It's a [problem].

If ya need anymore justification for not joining Conputeach, then take a gander at the YouTube video that a bloke posted up (called "Computeach s cumbags"). He's bein hounded by debt collectors now for a course they never sent him, chased for the last 6 years!! If that aint reason to keep your dosh in your pocket, I dont know what is!

• 2 weeks later...

I signed up to do one of their course on a 12 month pay monthly scheme. After 5 monthly payments and failing my first exam and after being told that any further studies would increase in difficulty, i decided to quit study. I wrote to them and returned the manuals despite having paid for them and i cancelled my direct debit.

I was signed up over the phone, but it was not checked at all if i was suitable to study the course, nor was i informed that i could elect to not attend in center days thus reducing my total costs. I have also just read my contract and it states that i can cancel within 14 days after receiving an email of my contract which i never even received. I just got one via the post.

I am wondering if i am still liable to pay the remaining 7 months even though id be essentially paying for no service?

• 1 month later...

Thats a tuff one, JB70. I would say youve might have a case if theyve breached there own rules on the cancel period by saying you have an option to cancel and then deliberatly not provide you with it to trap you into the course . Im no contract expert but I suppose its like car insurance - once youve signed up your tied in until it finishes, even if you have no car because it got pinched. So canceling your direct debit may go against you.

Its just another reason for not signing up wiv them! If your thinking of changing career, avoid people like this. On Computeach theres too many bad reviews, even in 2012. I see theres another two on The Review Centre (www reviewcentre com/reviews218525.html) from 2012. And Ive noticed theyve got a new shiny website that opens up the student forum now for all to see and you can see some of there own students arent that happy with them. Not to mention that the tutor support on there consists of just posting up links to Wikipedia or other free links around the internet, so why pay loads a cash for something you can do and study for free if there own tutors have no experience!

My advice still stands - research the qualification yourself, buy a book, trial the software, study in your own time, go to the exam board "usually Pearson Vue" and pay and register for the £100 exam yourself. Itll save you enormous amounts for what you can do if you dedicate yourself for free. :whoo:

Hi Batesy I signed up to one of there training courses in IT about 3 months back and lost my job. I called them up and told em about money being real tight and they were not sympatetic to me, there people told me i had to keep paying fee every month and that it. i scared to not pay it and my grandma said she would pay. Its bad cos i read that they will keep taking fee from my bank account even once term ended, not good when people dont want too carrie on course. there salesman told me i cud cancel course aswell when u wana too but they carry on takeing your money.

Have real badly been strugling with course found it hard. i phoned up the customer care helpline to speak to a mentor but when i call up i speak to a grumpy women who dont wanna help but rush me off call. No mentor calls me back at all. I talk to mentor one time and he said i had to read book and leanr it. Lot of money £150 course fee and no help. Mentors are never there to discuss course and i was told there was help all time. All lies to get people to sign up for training. I got from em 1 book and that toook so long to come about 6 weeks so i woz payin every month for nothin in returnn.

Worse decison i made to do course if i had found this site and checked out reviews i wouldnt neva have signd up with this [problem] company. i found out the local colege in other town does same course for loads cheaper.

Hi Batesy I signed up to one of there training courses in IT about 3 months back and lost my job. I called them up and told em about money being real tight and they were not sympatetic to me, there people told me i had to keep paying fee every month and that it. i scared to not pay it and my grandma said she would pay. Its bad cos i read that they will keep taking fee from my bank account even once term ended, not good when people dont want too carrie on course. there salesman told me i cud cancel course aswell when u wana too but they carry on takeing your money.

Have real badly been strugling with course found it hard. i phoned up the customer care helpline to speak to a mentor but when i call up i speak to a grumpy women who dont wanna help but rush me off call. No mentor calls me back at all. I talk to mentor one time and he said i had to read book and leanr it. Lot of money £150 course fee and no help. Mentors are never there to discuss course and i was told there was help all time. All lies to get people to sign up for training. I got from em 1 book and that toook so long to come about 6 weeks so i woz payin every month for nothin in returnn.

Worse decison i made to do course if i had found this site and checked out reviews i wouldnt neva have signd up with this [problem] company. i found out the local colege in other town does same course for loads cheaper.

Sorry you lost your job Rcox70 but sympathy from them woz never gonna happen. I hope your gran can keep paying when it all costs soooo much but take my advice, and others on other forums, when your 12 months is up from when you signed up then CANCEL your direct debit cuz otherwise theyll keep taking money on an automatic renewal without telling you in hope of getting more money out of you. Thats caught many people out already!. Trading standards should stop that cuz its bad.

But I think you and many others, r_hx2012 for example, have had the same. Dont no if you had the pleasure of goin to one of there incenter days like I did. if not, consider yourself lucky. The drink machine didnt work, the provided lunch that they were sooooo pleased about supplying was not that edible and the mentor wasnt that helpful either in person cuz just read it all from a book and didnt answer any questions that werent written down. There woz only 2 others in the class as well and we all a greed the help there woz not enough to help pass the exam. All my money wasted for poor help an poor facilities that the sales boast about all to get you to sign up. I woz promised "24hr support" but thats a lie cuz another student told me they only work to 5.

I wish I found this site earlier when I woz deciding :-x, my choice would have been different and I would have more of my money in my pocket not theres.

If anyone is interested, I have posted up some information that may help if you are someone who is thinking of cancelling your contract. Being in a Credit Control position, but not a customer, I have put some notes together on the Money Saving Expert forum (thread called Computeach Course Rates?).

Bearing in mind, I am not a qualified legal representative and it is no substitute for gaining proper advice from Citizens Advice or a legal advisor but my current working experience might provide an avenue to explore that you haven't tried before.

Good luck everyone, and thanks to your posts I have decided not to sign up.

Jenny

Sorry you lost your job Rcox70 but sympathy from them woz never gonna happen. I hope your gran can keep paying when it all costs soooo much but take my advice, and others on other forums, when your 12 months is up from when you signed up then CANCEL your direct debit cuz otherwise theyll keep taking money on an automatic renewal without telling you in hope of getting more money out of you. Thats caught many people out already!. Trading standards should stop that cuz its bad.

But I think you and many others, r_hx2012 for example, have had the same. Dont no if you had the pleasure of goin to one of there incenter days like I did. if not, consider yourself lucky. The drink machine didnt work, the provided lunch that they were sooooo pleased about supplying was not that edible and the mentor wasnt that helpful either in person cuz just read it all from a book and didnt answer any questions that werent written down. There woz only 2 others in the class as well and we all a greed the help there woz not enough to help pass the exam. All my money wasted for poor help an poor facilities that the sales boast about all to get you to sign up. I woz promised "24hr support" but thats a lie cuz another student told me they only work to 5.

I wish I found this site earlier when I woz deciding :-x, my choice would have been different and I would have more of my money in my pocket not theres.

Wished i didnt get signed up to couse now. I woz told cud cancel it when i wished this is not true as woman said i must keep paying fee every time. am sad cos the people do not tell you truth about it.

didnt go to a colege day cos it was far away from my home. i told woman this on phone she kept trying to tell me i should come ther. my book was sent to me in post it took 6 weeks. waiting for such long time but books had beeenn sent too my old address by mistakke. My name was spelt wrong too.

there is no help on phone to help with course mentors are never in colege.

will cancell fee once i can cos they will keep taking my money.

Guys, first of all please stop moaning and crying. **** happens.

First of all everyone hear deserved to be stung because you did not have the intelligence to research the market, and instead of whining and crying if you used that energy to actually use your training and put it into practice maybe you would get your foot through the door in the it industry.

Success has to be earned and that means you have to be willing to go through hell, you guys did expect everything on a plate, hence you did not do enough research on the courses. We are salespeople, that is our job, our job is to make people like you to sign on the dotted line. Do you think alan sugar get where he was by sitting on his a*se ?

At the end of the day anything and everything is possible if you are hungry enough, so stop complaining grow a pair, and get out there earn some money, there is a reason i drive a top of the range £75,000 bmw and you guys are at home unemployed.

You need brass balls.

Peace.

Guys, first of all please stop moaning and crying. **** happens.

First of all everyone hear deserved to be stung because you did not have the intelligence to research the market, and instead of whining and crying if you used that energy to actually use your training and put it into practice maybe you would get your foot through the door in the it industry.

Success has to be earned and that means you have to be willing to go through hell, you guys did expect everything on a plate, hence you did not do enough research on the courses. We are salespeople, that is our job, our job is to make people like you to sign on the dotted line. Do you think alan sugar get where he was by sitting on his a*se ?

At the end of the day anything and everything is possible if you are hungry enough, so stop complaining grow a pair, and get out there earn some money, there is a reason i drive a top of the range £75,000 bmw and you guys are at home unemployed.

You need brass balls.

Peace.

So Richsalesman you are one of them lying cheating no good sales scumbags that works for companys like Conputeach that go out a their way to prey on and cheat people out a their money?

Many people on here just wanna get on in life but with the likes of you and companys like Conputeach promising wot you obviously have no intention of delivering just to earn commision and pocket their money, then its no wonder the world is like it is.

So the moral of the story is, sales people like you and companys like this cannot be trusted. Research the course and take it yourself! Trust your money to them at your own peril!!!

So Richsalesman you are one of them lying cheating no good sales scumbags that works for companys like Conputeach that go out a their way to prey on and cheat people out a their money?

Many people on here just wanna get on in life but with the likes of you and companys like Conputeach promising wot you obviously have no intention of delivering just to earn commision and pocket their money, then its no wonder the world is like it is.

So the moral of the story is, sales people like you and companys like this cannot be trusted. Research the course and take it yourself! Trust your money to them at your own peril!!!

Well I don't lie or cheat, my job is to ''SELL'' meaning it is my Job to convince/persuade for people to part with their money. This entails the art of selling the benefits, of a brighter future, a better career.

the problem arises when people are too weak to complete the course, or complete the course then expect the job on a plate..instead of relying on computeach etc - why dont you people use your tools i.e certifications to actually get the jobs out there ?

Do you think successful people i.e doctors, pilots, lawyers plastic surgeon earn 50k to a 100k by doing one simple course ? They invest in themselves, they invest in there time into pursuing there dream - you people are losers you have no self belief no goals, no passion for life, the only thing you guys do is work 9-5 in a ****ty job, look forward to your fag break, and getting ****ed on cheap beer at the local pub on saturday - then it all starts again on Monday. Your 55, living on rent, and then you ask yourself...where did life go ?

this is a f**king wake up call...sort your life out.

Being as though I'm such a nice guy, i'll give you a tip : buy yourself a book called ''Awaken the Giant within''

Richsalesman, keep talking cuz your only proving my point! Salesmen like you, that work for companies like Computeach, hold their own customers in contemt, which is dumb considerin we give you your precious money. It wudnt surprise me to hear that because of your contemtable attitude, companys like Computeach if they employed you wud be bankrupt or going into administration before to long! Thanks for proving my point and helping people choose to not hand their money to the likes of you and your sad need for selfhelp books, probably written by a sad loser that never did anything with their life and conned you out of the money to buy it in the first place, like all you salesmen do with others. :-D

• 3 months later...

I'm an ex-Computeach student and am somewhat shocked and saddened by some of the posts on this forum.

I was just googling to see if by chance there was a Computeach course on the cheap covering Visual Basic and I happened to hit upon this thread and the curiosity got the better of me.

I can of course only speak of my personal experience and that of an ex-colleague of mine. Being made redundant from the Civil Service I looked into the possibility of studying computer programming as I had basic experience of programming in QBasic and was genuinely interested in the subject.

I phoned up, got the literature and sales material a few days later, but no clue as the actual cost. I knew it wouldn't be cheap, so I arranged for one of their 'advisors' to pop round. The first chap they sent round was a salesman and a bit pushy, so I just left it as "I'll think about it". After a few weeks I had further questions and I wanted someone to come round and answer my queries, but I did point out, not the chap who came to see me previously as I found him pushy.

The second person to come round to see me was someone who had just passed his exams and had started a new job a few months ago and was doing this to help pay his fees off quicker. I could relate to him and he did point out that if you can't commit to 15 hours per week every week, then Computeach isn't for you.

I eventually took a gamble and enrolled on the COBOL course at a cost of about £1800. This was back in 1997. I set aside 2 evenings a week and either Saturday or Sunday morning, supplemented by 2 or 3 dinner-time, 1 hour revision sessions or re-reading sessions of what I had learned the night before.

I soon got into the regular habit of allotted timeframes for my studying and although at times it was very difficult to maintain, I forced myself to do it and had the support from my wife and family. I would study alone in the spare bedroom with no distractions like TV or other people talking. Within 9 months I passed my first exam, a Pascal programming course.

Next came the main event, the COBOL course, which took much longer, but with extra effort in the preceding months leading upto the exam, I passed first time my City & Guilds 424 in COBOL Applications Programming with a credit.

The next task was to get a job in programming. I do agree that the Computeach Careers Advice is rubbish. They didn't even find one vacancy for me to apply for in about 4 months. They updated my CV but that was about it. I had better look applying for junior programming vacancies in Computer Weekly. This was early 1999 and year 2000 was the big thing and two agencies went out of their way to get me interview (Computer Futures and Hays IT).

Eventually in Feb 1999 I had 3 interviews in about 2 days and got offered 2 of the jobs. It ended up that 2 companies were bidding for my services and ended up as junior year 2000 programmer with Micro Focus on a salary of £18,000 which increased to £22000 after 6 months on billable projects. MF took on a number of juniors like myself who had qualified through Computeach.

I'm no longer a programmer/developer, but still work in IT as System Test Analyst with a salary of £34,000 plus bonuses (if we're lucky). There are plenty of testing jobs about, in fact my company have struggled to recruit testers, because there has been a lack of skilled people with enthusiasm.

The money and effort I spent on the training has without question been worth every penny and every minute. I believe if you are willing to put the effort in and not give up, you will get there and land a decent job, but if you have the attitude of "I won't study this week, I'll pick it up again next week" then you won't succeed. How many people fall into the latter category?

So I have to ask all of you who say you have been mis-sold a course, weren't informed of the total cost and the interest, have you really given your studying 100% effort? did you not read and understand what the total cost would be? did you not understand what effort would be required EVERY week in order to succeed? I was clearly told that I would need to commit to a minimum of 10-12 hours per week otherwise it wouldn't be worth it. As for loans from Barclays, at 29% p.a why didn't you take out a personal loan? - far cheaper and I ended up with a rate of about 7%

My study material was very good indeed, no complaints there. Sometimes my marked code might take longer to be returned back to me, but that was only here and there. I also felt they could have moved into online courses, marking and submission of work much sooner (brought in after I finished apparently).

I'd be interested to know in what ways do some of you think that you have been 'mis-sold' a course, since nobody forced me to sign up for the COBOL course.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, i came across this forum which sounds very familiar with the experience I've had with COMPUTEACH. I was approached but a salesman back in 2005 after i registered my details on their website. Despite my complete lack of knowledge about computers, he managed to convinced me that a software programming course will be most suitable to my current knowledge in computers. Even though i wasn't earning much and told him i couldn't afford it, he managed to convince me to take out a career development loan with barclays. He even used his mobile to phone up barclays right in front of me as i didn't have credit and silently coached me throughout the application process. It was all accepted but that was the last i ever heard from the salesman.

I received a welcome pack with some tatty looking course book which only had the use of basic computers and Microsoft office which i already knew about. The help from very limited as there was no one to even speak to sometimes to even help with anything.

In the end, i gave up because times were getting harder and i needed to go out and look for anything to help pay off the £7000 debt i had incurred during the process.

Computeach is a complete [problem] and i wouldn't wish them even on my worse enemy. I am fully in debt as i wasn't able to keep up repayments because i lost my job. Someone needs to stop them and i will support any action to help get them out of business.

I also think Barclays should take some of the responsibility for associating with such a fraudulent company. At one point the salesman even sounded like he's working on behalf barclays as he was so insistent on me taking out the loan without considering my circumstance. I wont be surprised if he got any commission from barclays for selling a loan on their behalf.

The salesman also mention that computeach was a partner of Microsoft so i urge Microsoft to look into it and distance themselves if they have no knowledge of this [problem].

Please Please Please, stay away from computeach.!!!!!!!

• 1 year later...

It sounds like Computeach sales techniques have not changed much since I did my courses in C Applications programming and a second in C Advanced applications programming. I signed up for the courses many moons ago I believe it was around 1996. The sales team did the same questionaire/ check process detailed in this thread then of course tell you that you have been selected. There was also the promise of jobs on passing.

Now I found the courses very good, the advice and workshops were also excellent, I have been in IT for many years now and paid over twice as much for one week boot camps. So the teaching back then was Excellent and I was able to do it combining with my non IT job at the time.

They did offer interview practice after I passed in one of the workshops, this was just average quality. But there were none of the job offers through them, and certainly nothing in the South East. I did manage however with my qualification to get my first job in IT. This took real perseverance and I sent out literally hundreds of CV's and found getting no response at all for months totally disheartening. Once I got my first job in IT programming in a completely different language to my courses incidentally, there was no looking back and after 2 years in a permanent position I went contracting and had one month out of work in 17 years. I have moved into Project management and Business Analysis along the way.

So if they are the same as all those years ago (which how long they have been in the game I would expect they are) then training and their training centre were excellent, getting a job however was totally down to you. So if you check out jobserve/ jobsite etc. and do not think that the qualifications you will be getting will get you through the door. Then do not expect any doors to be opened by them! But if there are jobs that you would feel comfortable applying for if you had them on your CV then maybe worth considering.

I would advise creating a CV and sending it with those qualifications on to see if you can get interviews, even if you change your name and create dummy email. If you cannot get an interview like this then it will not change after you actually have the qualifications, and it has only cost you a few emails and creating a dummy CV to find out.

But without them I would not have got my first IT job, even though I was awfully disappointed I got no help after passing my courses with distinctions. It took me 10 months to get that first job, I think most people would have given up and understand exactly how some of the people on this thread must feel.

the thread is 2yrs old!!

dx

closed

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3348 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks