• Tweets

• Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 160 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Bank Charges Campaign Continues

caro
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2156 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I'd love to go SJ, but doubt I could get the time off work, plus the cost of an early enough train to get there for 9.00 am would add about another £100 to the cost.

Perhaps someone who lives a bit nearer .... :wink:

The Consumer Action Group is a free help site.

Should you be offered help that requires payment please report it to site team.

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

• Replies 438
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just a case of going along to find out what's happening jdes. You may find you have the opportunity to ask questions, and I see there's the opportunity to "network", but it's a lot of money to find for a half day seminar, and be a bit like walking into the lion's den!!

Unfortunately I don't think CAG would be able to help out with costs either, even if there are still places available.

As SJ says, at least Mike Dailly will be there and will no doubt be championing our cause.

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

Just found an e-petition to the Government that I think is rather good, although not got many signatures yet.

http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/6571

Seems this petition has now closed with only 2,200 signatures after 12 months. Disappointing. :-(

I am pleased to see Mike Dailly will be attending and i'm sure he will feed back through his channels of communication. I believe he is also closely connected with Which? so there's another place check out in due course.

The Guardian has been great, beating off the bullies who would like to silence those who take on the financial industry.

• 1 month later...

Just listening to some excellent evidence being given to the Parliamentary Commission on Banking Standards Joint Committee by Mike Dailly and Peter Vicary-Smith of Which?

http://www.parliamentlive.tv/Main/Player.aspx?meetingId=11433

Excellent stuff and just what's needed.

Thankfully, the spotlight is back on the Banks again and on the political agenda. Bank charges should reflect the true cost to the banks not using charges to make profit, that to me is a penalty. I hope now the impetus is there to reform the banking sector this subject is dealt with asap.

Edited by determindator

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I see Dave Fishwick of Bank of Dave has a petition. It only runs until 29th January so needs support quickly.

Better Banking for Britain

Responsible department: Her Majesty's Treasury

We want:

- ‘back-to-basics’ banking in Britain

- greater competition and more choice for consumers

- more community banks which serve the people and businesses in that community

- more loans to small businesses and better returns for savers

- an end to the culture of greed and bonuses

http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/40861

Oh and just a little snippet from Mike Dailly to give us all hope for the new year......

I will put my new bank charges strategy and pleadings into the public domain very soon - I have won, but all subject to confidentiality agreements, many court actions post the OFT test case, and I think we have a plan. Many billions at stake.

Caro, that is very good news to hear.

I am conscious of the fact that March next year represents the sixth anniversary of when I first wrote to my banks concerning bank charges, and feeling that if I am going to start a county court claim it probably needs to be done before then to avoid any possibility of the bank entering a statute barred defence.

Oh and just a little snippet from Mike Dailly to give us all hope for the new year......

Amazing news Caro! I wonder if M D's plan is to return the charges automatically or whether you would have to submit your claim. Roll on the new beginning:-D

Caro, that is very good news to hear.

I am conscious of the fact that March next year represents the sixth anniversary of when I first wrote to my banks concerning bank charges, and feeling that if I am going to start a county court claim it probably needs to be done before then to avoid any possibility of the bank entering a statute barred defence.

I don't know Iain. I think we'll have to wait and see, and also study the Limitations Act to see if there are ways round it.

Amazing news Caro! I wonder if M D's plan is to return the charges automatically or whether you would have to submit your claim. Roll on the new beginning:-D

I'm sure if it was down to Mike it would be automatically, but I suspect it will mean claiming, as I know he has been doing on behalf of others.

I see too that there have been arrests with regards to the LIBOR scandal.

Perhaps the tide is beginning to turn. :-D

• 1 month later...

Would like to know how this new compensation the FSA is advocating is going to be paid considering we're starting to hear at least two Banks may need more bailing out to the tune of 5 billion each. Why an I thinking tax payers?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-21272606

Edited by determindator

Would like to know how this new compensation the FSA is advocating is going to be paid considering we're starting to hear at least two Banks may need more bailing out to the tune of 5 billion each. Why an I thinking tax payers?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-21272606

Follow up today http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/money/4773166/Ratbanks-Banks-face-10billion-bill-for-ripping-off-firms-in-loans-con.html

Sub-prime mentioned thank goodness.

• 1 month later...

One suggestion I heard was that they reduce bonuses.......

I believe so Caro, and also the same idea to cover Europe. Personally, I never thought the argument of Bank personnel leaving England in droves to other Banks abroad if their bonuses were interfered with, would be a fact. There has to be the jobs to go too and they are not two a penny. If this action is taken Europe wide at least, there is more containment and not being held to ransom by these people threatening to leave if their bonuses are capped.

This action will attract money from abroad as we become a safer global bet.

Edited by determindator

• 1 year later...

Over a year since there's been anything to add to this thread, but following a few posts about bank charges on his fb wall, Mike Dailly provided this link.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/cma-announces-programme-of-work-on-banking

• 3 months later...

Looks like the new CMA are looking into the big 4 banks. There's also mention of capping overdraft charges. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-28361778

• 2 weeks later...

Nice to see that Which? are still actively fighting a range of charges, including bank charges, and currently have a petition which I'd encourage everyone to sign.

http://www.which.co.uk/campaigns/insurance-bank-card-fees/?utm_medium=Email&utm_source=ExactTarget&utm_campaign=fees_charges_launch24072014

• 1 month later...

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, all good, and I never gave up the faith in future changes either. For the record, our household subscribes to Which? Consumer Association and we are all fans, but we don't feel they are quite as scathing of the banks as they could be, especially in relation to 'returned' direct debit and standing order charges. Everyone knows that 'returned' really translates as 'never went anywhere and our system just auto-pooped you a letter to financially rape you'. :-x

What sort of world do you want your kids to grow up in?

Having attended a couple of Which? events on banking it was clear that most of those with complaints about banks were more concerned at the lack of interest payable on their savings. I think that's probably more the type of subscriber that they have. That didn't prevent very positive action being taken as a result, and having spoken to a member of the Which? board, she was very willing to listen to concerns. The more people get involved with their campaigns, the more likely they are to take action, and they have a huge amount of influence. It just needs people to get on board. I'd love for CAG to be able to campaign in this way, but sadly we just don't have the influence, and remarkably few people are willing to get involved in CAG campaigns. Believe me, we've tried, but it just doesn't happen. :(