02 iPhone Insurance Claim - 02 not paying out - help.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5215 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi everyone,

Hope everyone had a good new year last night and starting 2010 on a positive, unlike me

I dropped my iPhone last night in a puddleits water damaged, called up 02 insurance this morning to make a claim and apparently, the IMEI number I'm currently using and the IMEI number they have on their system are two completely different numbers and therefore will not pay out.

I cannot recall ever changing iPhone, when I was sold the insurance, surely the IMEI number would have been verified, they are also saying the original IMEI number was used for 1 day of my contract and then the new one has been used for the last 4-5 months.

I have been paying my monthly premium of £10 since the date of purchase and cannot believe this is now happening.

Could people please advise and help, much appreciated.

I purchased it from an Apple Store, just been through everything and my original iPhone I signed up with was actually exchanged 24 hours later and replaced with a new one. I have receipts for both iPhones.

I did not take out the 02 Insurance at the time of purchase, but took it out at a later date, definitely had the new IMEI number at the time of purchasing the Insurance.

Is this a problem? - I have both receipts with both IMEI numbers, surely they have to honour the agreement and replace my iPhone.

Ok, phone insurance was purchased through 02 Insurance and it's added to my monthly bill.

The 02 Insurance was purchased like 1-2 months later but it is definitely covered...

I'm slightly confused now, when I took out the 02 Insurance surely on their system they would have seen I'm using a different IMEI iPhone so why did they not question it then? - I've got both receipts anyway...

thats my point

when the second phone was registered by apple, the imei number would be registered to your sim (phone number)

the insurance was taken out later so there is no way 02 should have your old imei on file

i think you are being given the brush off

this is an 02 frack up

So what do I do then? 02 Insurance is actually closed today... I've been paying my monthly insurance premium while 02 knowing knew that the IMEI's were actually different...

Do I have a case? I currently have no phone now and was hoping that 02 would replace it :(

Happy New Year all! :)

This problem isn't all that unusual, but (from the insurer's point of view) they need verifiable evidence that they are covering the insured'shandset, and not any other substitute in order to obtain a 'free' exchange for a handset not covered.

O2 the network and O2 Insurance are not the same thing. It is a completely separate company (and really, nothing to do with Telefonica). This addresses your issue of 'tey should have known you had changed'. They'd be the last person to know, BUT there will be a document somewhere - probably provided by Apple, to show the originally covered IMEI and the model to replace it.

When the replacement is arranged by the insurer, they take care of updating the IMEI of the exchange, BUT if you do this without reference to them, then you need proof to confirm that the handset originally covered was replaced by the one you are now claiming for. It shouldn't be too much of a formality to get them to update their records and swing into action with your current faulty handset.

Ever thought it time to try a different handset....? :)

The only place anyone could reasonably FIND this information was from the Airtime Contract, which will note both the IMEI and IMSI codes. This is fine for nealry all situations, except where there has already been a faulty SIM change (or handset).

I think you'd call it incompetence, but I cannot see where else they would be able to know what the handset would be, OR whether there had been any swap.

Hi Nervo,

When you first got your iphone (the original one) it would have had to of been registered and activated... with iphones this is only done through itunes.

So when you first registered your iphone and account with itunes, all IMEI/Serial Numbers are recorded and registered with them. Your itunes account will hold both IMEI Numbers and the dates they were registered (and show the same Sim card/ phone number was being used for both phones).

Unfortunately, iTunes (a third party retail extablishment) would provide nothing of interest to an insurer, who would be seeking a link that connects both devices and a most basic level (dealer, agency etc) who effected the swap. Anything else is invariably too far removed and (reasonably) simple to fabricate, even assuming they woukld accept it.