Marc Gander - The Consumer Survival Handbook

A 220 page introduction to all things consumer related by our own BankFodder.

Includes energy companies, mobile phone providers, retailers, banks, insurance companies,debt collection agencies, reclaim companies, secondhand car sellers, cowboy garages, cowboy builders and all the rest who put their own profits before you.

£6.99

Patricia Pearl - Small Claims Procedure - A Practical Guide

An excellent guide for the layperson in how to use the County Court - a must if you are intending to start a claim.

£19.99 + £1.50 (P&P)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 7
FirstFirst ... 5 6 7
    Basic Account Holder adamc6671 Novitiate

Follow Real_CAG on Twitter
    Cagger since : Feb 2007

Default Re: stayed cases, have you heard anything yet

Its Ipswich county courticon

Basic Account Holder tedney Novitiate

Cagger since : Mar 2007

Have you seen info on Govan Law Centre web site, might be of interest to you adamsc

Basic Account Holder adamc6671 Novitiate

Thanks tedney.

For the benefit of others this is the link to the relevant page of Govan Law Centre's site -

Govan Law Centre: Unfair bank charges: free help to amend existing complaint letters

There is no sign of any ammended POCicon's there yet though.

As regards my particular claim, I'm thinking of going down the route of applying to the Court to have the stay lifted, and asking for permission to ammend my Particulars of Claim.

However, I have to admit that I have a few concerns about this course of action, especially in light of the fact that the Govern Law Centre et al seem to be having significant problems in compiling a revised 'particulars of claim' - they have been promised within 2 weeks for the best part of 6 weeks now and still haven't appeared!

I'm concerned that if they don't appear within a very short time then the claim will be struck out, given that Ipswich county courticon have (unilaterally!) only given me till 10th Feb to apply to lift the stay. I'd feel far happier proceeding in this way if the new POC's were actually available. Does anyone happen to know if it is permissable to ask the Court to continue the stay beyond 10th Feb, pending the gathering and compilation of new evidence with specific reference to the UTCCR's and consumer crediticon Act 1974 which was not covered by 'The Test Case'?

I am also concerned that if only a few people proceed in this way, especially if the new POC's don't appear, there is a very real chance of having to face Abbeyicon / Santander's top notch leagal seagulls in Court, which I don't actually relish doing, and if we loose, being ordered to pay the bank's huge legal costs. Does anyone have any views on that?

Classic Account Holder
    Help the CAG!!
    Make a contribution
    letsmakeamark Novitiate letsmakeamark's Avatar

Cagger since : Jul 2008

I have had one off the HSBCicon who have filed for a strike out last week.

Basic Account Holder mummybird Novitiate

Cagger since : Sep 2007

I've received a lettericon from Cardiff CC asking if I wish to continue with my claim against HSBCicon. I phoned court and they explained that HSBC have asked that the case be dismissedicon and that's why the court has written to me. I haven't heard anything about my Barclaysicon claim yet, which means they haven't asked to have the case dismissed yet..............

Basic Account Holder Gertrude Novitiate

I had a letter on 19th Feb 10 from Barclaysicon stating that if I still have a county courticon claim (which I have) this will be addressed separately.

I am still waiting to hear.

Gerty

Basic Account Holder mummybird Novitiate

Cagger since : Sep 2007

Hi Gertrude
    Only just picked up your reply it was in my spam box!
    I haven't heard from Barclaysicon yet. Wondering if I should write to them
    regards mummybird

Basic Account Holder baconbuttyman Novitiate baconbuttyman's Avatar

Cagger since : Mar 2006

Exclamation not up to date with charges situation!

just checking in, i am now completely out of debt thru this site, no claims in at all, give up on RBSicon for 80 or so due to the test case result, anynway what is the update, are people still getting money back, or are they fighting like made for it, in the start the success rate on getting your charges back was 99.9% and only took 12-15 weeks, sometimes less. whats the situation now. arte claims fruitless or what

Basic Account Holder baconbuttyman Novitiate baconbuttyman's Avatar

Cagger since : Mar 2006

Unhappy Re: not up to date with charges situation!

i tyake it that penalty charge reclaims are mostly dead in the water now

Classic Account Holder
    Help the CAG!!
    Make a contribution
    Docman Authoritative Docman Authoritative Docman Authoritative Docman Authoritative Docman Authoritative Docman Authoritative Docman Authoritative Docman Authoritative Docman Authoritative Docman Authoritative Docman Authoritative

Quote Originally Posted by tedney View Post
    Has anyone heard from a bank where the case is a debtor defending the bank's claim and claiming back charges as part of defence?
    tedney

A bit old I know for a response but an old case of mine has raised its head again. Basically, my bank sued me for my overdraft after we had a disagreement in 2005. We corresponded for over a year but I could get anywhere with them. The correspondence went dead for a further year during which time the bank unknown to me bounced my direct debits twice a month for 4 months, charging 30 each time. At the start of 2007, they started a legal action against me to recover the overdraft which had grown due to the charges (I had moved banks in 2006).

Not only did I file a defenceicon but I also countereclaimed for the charges. We went through the Court hoops (fast track) but 3 days after being served with the court's order to disclose documents etc, and eight months after the start of the OFT v The Banks case in 2007, the bank made a 'without notice application for a stay until the end of the OFT case.

Needless to say the court rolled over and granted the stay. I tried to get it lifted but all the Deputy District Judge would say when refusing my application was that 'it had come down from on high' that these cases were to be stayed. I just left the court in disgust.

Well, that was nearly four years ago and nearly two years since the Supreme Court gave its final judgement. To be fair, I had almost forgotten about the case but the bank have now written to me saying they will lift the stay on the grounds that following the Supreme Court's decison, I have no defence (wronlgi I might add).

Even if the bank win,I intend to continue my defence all the way using S140 of the consumer crediticon Act (Unfair relationships). I may end up in the Court of Appeal. Do you or any other Caggers know of any other cases where a defence/counterclaim has continued post the OFT decision?

Doc

Basic Account Holder tedney Novitiate

Quote Originally Posted by Docman View Post
    tedney

Do you or any other Caggers know of any other cases where a defence/counterclaim has continued post the OFT decision?</p>
    Doc
    Hello DocNot heard anything on mine, as far as I know case is still stayed, not heard from court or bank. My case also had PPIicon issue in it, so maybe that is why, more than three years now!
    Regardst

Follows
    Following

Basic Account Holder smokejumper Informative smokejumper Informative

Cagger since : May 2010

I had my claim against Barclaysicon stayed. To this day I haven't heard anything.

Does this mean it is still in limbo, or does it get thrown out after a time.

I would have thought the court should have given confirmation.

Is there still an alternative action, I'd go against their top lawyers, put what charges they like, no means to pay them anyway ;-)

Reclaim the Right Ltd. - reg.05783665 in the UK reg. office:- 923 Finchley Road London NW11 7PE
We use cookies to personalise content and ads and to provide social media features. We also share information about your use of our site with our advertising and analytics partners. See details