• Tweets

• Update 15th March the eviction notice period expired, and I paid my next month rent along with sending them the message discussed above. After a short while they just emailed me back this dry phrase "Thank you for your email." In two weeks' time I'm gonna need to pay the rent again, and I have such a feeling that shortly after that date the contracts will be exchanged and all the payments will be made.  Now my main concern is, if possible, not to end up paying rent after I move out.  
    • they cant 'take away' anything, what ever makes you believe that?  dx  
    • The text on the N1SDT Claim Form 1.The claim is for breaching the terms and conditions set on private land. 2. The defendant's vehicle, NumberPlate, was identified in the Leeds Bradford Airport Roadways on the 28/07/2023 in breach of the advertised terms and conditions; namely Stopping in a zone where stopping is prohibited 3.At all material times the Defendant was the registered keeper and/or driver. 4. The terms and conditions upon  entering private land were clearly displayed at the entrance and in prominent locations 5. The sign was the offer and the act of entering private land was the acceptance of the offer hereby entering into a contract by conduct. 6.The signs specifically detail the terms and conditions and the consequences of failure to comply,  namely a parking charge notice will be issued, and the Defendant has failed to settle the outstanding liability. 7.The claimant seeks the recovery of the parking charge notice, contractual costs and interest.   This is what I am thinking of for the wording of my defence The Defendant contends that the particulars of claim are vague and are generic in nature which fails to comply with CPR 16.4. The Defendant accordingly sets out its case below and relies on CPR r 16.5 (3) in relation to any particular allegation to which a specific response has not been made. 1. Paragraph 1 is denied. It is denied that the Defendant ever entered into a contract to breach any terms and conditions of the stated private land. 2. Paragraph 2 and 4 are denied. As held by the Upper Tax Tribunal in Vehicle Control Services Limited v HMRC [2012] UKUT 129 (TCC), any contract requires offer and acceptance. The Claimant was only contracted to provide car park management services and is not capable of entering into a contract with the Defendant on its own account, as the car park is owned by and the terms of entry set by the landowner. 3. It is admitted that Defendant is the recorded keeper of the vehicle. 4.  Paragraph 6 is denied the claimant has yet to evidence that their contract with the landowner supersedes  Leeds Bradford airport byelaws. Further it is denied that the Claimant’s signage is capable of creating a legally binding contract. 5. Paragraph 7 is denied, there are no contractual costs and interest cannot be accrued on a speculative charge.   I'm not sure whether point 4 is correct as I think this side road is not covered by byelaws? Any other suggestions/corrections would be appreciated.
    • Dear EVRi parcelnet LTD t/a evri   evri parcelnet isnt a thing also you say defendant's response which is a bit of a weird format.   Something like   Dear EVRi, Claim no xxxx In your defence you said you could not access tracking. Please see attached receipt and label Regards
    • Welcome to the Forum I have moved your topic to the appropriate forum  Residential and Commercial lettings/Freehold issues Please continue to post here.   Andy
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 160 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Elephant cancelled my policy after making an unsubstantiated allegation

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5205 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

A third party has made a motor insurance claim against me which I believe is either fraudulent or in error. I have cooperated with my insurer by replying to all of the letters received, and by answering their questions as best as I can.

My insurers were contacted by the other party’s agents because I was the only person to have insurance cover on the temporary vehicle at that time. The other party claims that there were no witnesses as apparently I accepted liability. The other party also claimed that I was of Middle Eastern appearance when in fact I am white, with hazel eyes and blonde hair.

My insurers asked me to confirm whether I was involved in this accident to which I confirmed that I wasn’t. They then wrote to me asking me to provide the insurance details of the person involved, or explain why I had allowed another person to drive my car without valid insurance - citing it as a criminal offence for an owner of a vehicle to allow another person to drive their car without valid insurance. I informed them that I was not, nor had I ever been the vehicles registered keep.

They then wrote to me asking me if the vehicle was still in my possession and if they could arrange for an inspector to assess my vehicle. To which I reiterated that the vehicle was not mine, that I no longer had possession of the vehicle, nor did I know its whereabouts. I also made clear that while the vehicle was in my possession, I allowed no other person to take use of it.

(As far as I understand, common sense should dictate that if this incident happened at all, and another person was driving this vehicle, during the time that I also happened to have cover, then surely they should be writing to registered keeper - available through DVLA, for this mysterious drivers details)

In spite of the fact that I informed my insurer several times that I was not the keeper/owner, and that I did not have the means to arrange an inspection since the vehicle was not in my possession, they continued to write to me asking me to inspect my vehicle, which incidentally was not the particulars of the temporary vehicle alleged to have been involved in an incident (but instead the main vehicle on my policy, not related to, or claimed to have been involved in this or any other such incident – to which I also informed them more then once). I was also contacted by their assessor who made the same request to inspect the wrong vehicle. I wrote to them once more repeating that I was not involved in any such incident, that I was no long in possession of the additional vehicle on which I had temporary cover, do not know the whereabouts of and that they keep on mistakenly asking to inspect the wrong vehicle.

Even though I specifically requested that they send all written correspondence through recorded post to ensure receipt, not one letter was sent via this method until their final instruction to me where they informed me that they were canceling my policy within 7 days – reason given that they were “disappointed to note that I had not responded to their letters” and they referenced 3 letters, going on to conclude that “we can only assume you are withholding information and as such, in line with point 4 of our general terms and conditions, will be canceling your policy within 7 days of the date of this letter”

Of the 3 letters they claim I did not reply too, letter 2 was never received and letters 1 was only received when attached to the reminder (letter 3). Their accusation that I have ignored their letters is baseless as I have sufficient acknowledgments from them as proof.

They have since railroaded the process and sent me another letter instructed me that I have a few days to accept their offer to represent me against this alleged motor claim. This will be on the condition that I accept full financial liability of cost incurred if things fall against me.

Please help, where do I stand? I also need my insurer to remove this alleged claim, refusal to renew my policy and early cancellation, since they are all actions that will be detrimental future insurance quotes.

I have until tomorrow to give them my answer to whether or not I accept their offer to represent me, otherwise I’m on my own apparently?

Incidentally, my policy came with free legal cover – but I’m not quite sure what that means and how I can use it if they are a part of the same corrupted organization.

Having found a document on Elephant’s web site, it seems that point 4 in their general terms and conditions refers to them being able to just cancel any policy by giving 7 days notice whenever a claim is made – surely I have misunderstood? Wouldn’t that effectively mean that they could simply take your money in exchange for them indemnifying you against any incident, yet if an incident arises, simply terminated your policy and then offer to help only if you agree to cover the costs?

Please help!

The paragraph in Point 4 of the General Conditions I think they are referring to states:

"We may cancel this policy at any time by sending seven days notice in writing to your last known address. If a claim is made or has arisen during the period of insurance the full premium is due and no refund will be given. This applies in all circumstances regardless or payment method"

Can this by right? If so does this mean that they can cancel a policy with seven days notice just because they want to? Or does it mean that if a claim is ‘made’ they can cancel it by giving seven days notice? If it is the latter, where does a person stand if, as in my case, someone has logged a bogus claim against me?

Can I ask a slightly difference question about the car in question?

Was the type of car ever in your poseession?

What was the circumstances of it being in your possession?

Was it the case that no changes were made to the policy when the car was no longer in your possession?

I am quite confused why you are being hassled if the description of the car, person driving etc,etc, is not you at all. Have you checked the address on the first letter in case it was sent to the registered owner of the vehicle?

FSA Waiver on Bank Charges:http://www.fsa.gov.uk/pages/Doing/Regulated/Notify/Waiver/pdf/dir_quart_0709.pdf

The car was owned by a friend who received it from a debtor. This friend allowed me to use his vehicle temporarily so long as I was able to insure myself to drive it. Over a period of around 3 months, I used this vehicle no more then 8-9 times while my own vehicle was in for repairs of maintenance. My car insurance policy enabled me to add another vehicle for 30 days cover for a maximum of 120 days in the year for this purpose.

On the day this incident is CLAIMED to have happened, I did not drive the vehicle.

The incorrect vehicle being requested for inspection is down to maladministration on the part of my insurer (I attempted to put them straight, on that but it was to no avail). Regarding the description given by the other party, my only explanation is that my insurer probably assumed the description to be correct because of my foreign-ish sounding name. Had they requested a photograph, they would have realised it could not have been me or that the other party was telling lies

You need to speak to your insurer, stop this letter tennis as it is patently creating as many problems as it solves.

If they want to send an assessor out, then let them. I am sure the assessors report that the car in question is not yours or available, but that you look nothing like the description of the driver will get them to take notice. If they inspect your main car and find no damage then same result. At the end of the day Elephant WANT to believe you were not involved in an incident.

By the way, I don't suppose the friend who recieved the car from a debtor matches the description? Maybe the debtor wasn't too happy about giving up the car.

You need to speak to your insurer, stop this letter tennis as it is patently creating as many problems as it solves.

If they want to send an assessor out, then let them. I am sure the assessors report that the car in question is not yours or available, but that you look nothing like the description of the driver will get them to take notice. If they inspect your main car and find no damage then same result. At the end of the day Elephant WANT to believe you were not involved in an incident.

By the way, I don't suppose the friend who recieved the car from a debtor matches the description? Maybe the debtor wasn't too happy about giving up the car.

I have no problem with them sending out an assessor..in fact I wish they would..but they're asking the wrong guy..I've told them several times that I'm not the owner and that the car is no longer in my possession..The car has since been sold and I do not know the current owner..insurers, police and other such bodies have access to DVLA and MID..so they should contact the owner directly instead of harrassing me to grant something I have no power to grant.

The friend that received the vehicle doesn't fit the description either!

It really is an odd one..

I have just been through a complaint with Elephant which resulted in a financial settlement in my favour.

You need to make an official complaint and threaten them with the courts, trading standards and the FS Ombudsman if they don't resolve it.

Put a title on the letter of Offical Complaint (play them at their own game and make it red and in big type:D). In your complaint detail what you expect them to do about things. You might want to include a claim for compensation.

Also consider addressing the letter to Ceri Assiratti who is posted as the Managing Director on the Elephant Website. Alternatively Elephant is part of the Admiral Group PLC and you may want to consider directing your complaints their. (See this page for a list of execs.)

You want to demonstrate to these muppets that you're going to take their crap but also show yourself to be reasonable. Tell them you want to speak to someone who can make a decision on how to act. (i.e. you want the organ grinder and not the monkey).

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This does not constitute legal advice and is not represented as a substitute for legal advice from an appropriately qualified person or firm.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have no problem with them sending out an assessor..in fact I wish they would..but they're asking the wrong guy..I've told them several times that I'm not the owner and that the car is no longer in my possession..The car has since been sold and I do not know the current owner..insurers, police and other such bodies have access to DVLA and MID..so they should contact the owner directly instead of harrassing me to grant something I have no power to grant.

The friend that received the vehicle doesn't fit the description either!

It really is an odd one..

If they are insisting on sending an assessor let them then explain to the assessor why he's had a wasted journey, he will be happy NOT. It may also help that he'll see that you DON'T match the description of the alleged owner at the time of the incident

Great ideas guys..thank you both :)

I've sent in a letter of complaint and also said that if they cannot find the owner then I am prepared to use some resource to try and track the current owner.

I reckon I'll also send a copy to the MD like you said pin1ou :)

On the day of the incident you say you did not drive the vechicle. But was it in your possession or with the owner at that time? Do you have any witnesses as to what you were doing that day or the car you were driving?

I agree with the above. an official complaint is the way forward. Especially as they are getting confused with vechicles and descriptions. You will also need to get a letter confirming that your insurance was cancelled in error due to their mistakes. Otherwise that may crop up on records in the future when you are applying for inurance. Make it clear you are inviting a n assesors visit and full written report so that you can clear the matter once and for all.

Please note I am not an expert - I am not offering opinions or legal help - Please use all the information provided on the site in FAQ- step by step instructions and library- thanks Jansus:)

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/images/icons/icon1.gif

offer from A&L 24/8/07 - after case stayed

"What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well." - Antione de Saint Exupery

PROUD TO BE AN ORANGE

On the day of the incident you say you did not drive the vechicle. But was it in your possession or with the owner at that time? Do you have any witnesses as to what you were doing that day or the car you were driving?

I agree with the above. an official complaint is the way forward. Especially as they are getting confused with vechicles and descriptions. You will also need to get a letter confirming that your insurance was cancelled in error due to their mistakes. Otherwise that may crop up on records in the future when you are applying for inurance. Make it clear you are inviting a n assesors visit and full written report so that you can clear the matter once and for all.

I had returned the vehicle back to my friends property (putting the keys through his letter box) at least 1 week before the date of the alleged incident..he assured me that no one else had use of it.

On the day itself I attended a friends wedding and was taken and brought back by a couple of friends that said they'd be more then happy to attest to that fact.

I had returned the vehicle back to my friends property (putting the keys through his letter box) at least 1 week before the date of the alleged incident..he assured me that no one else had use of it.

On the day itself I attended a friends wedding and was taken and brought back by a couple of friends that said they'd be more then happy to attest to that fact.

Are you in any wedding photos taken with time/date stamps ?

As much as I tried not to be...I certainly will be in some pictures..

I hope they or I manage to track the current owner to enable an inspection..thats my first call.

Then get on the phone to the person whos wedding it was mate and get them photos :) proof you could not of been driving the vehicle in the area that day... provided the wedding was a distance from the incident.. ?

I agree, tracking the owner. Can not understand why dvla have not been asked to pull the current recorded keeper, unless its not been registered ?

Even then, the reg should be flagged by police/dvla ANPR to stop the vehicle as its un-reg... ! They can also flag the reg for suspected fraud.

So your friend - who was the registered keeper at the time - had possession of the vehicle on that day and you have evidence that you were in a presumably totally different area at the time of\the alleged incident? The only reason they have come to you is that you had temporary insurance on the car. It could be that it was a completely different car and there is an error in the registration?

Have they ever given you any details of the incident or how serious it was?

surely your friend has details of the next registered owner?

And why would they buy a damaged car anyway?

does not make sense

Please note I am not an expert - I am not offering opinions or legal help - Please use all the information provided on the site in FAQ- step by step instructions and library- thanks Jansus:)

"What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well." - Antione de Saint Exupery

PROUD TO BE AN ORANGE

Did your friend have insurance on the car as well?

PROUD TO BE AN ORANGE

Great ideas guys..thanks so much..I'm taking note of all of them because I will follow through.

On the registration of the vehicle, I think my insurers were just being slack..but it might be that my friends request to register the vehicle was not processed by dvla (missing in post perhaps as at least one explanation) before being sold on again.