Buildings Insurance Claim Advice Needed

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5243 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

A brick was thrown through my double glazed bay window at the front of our house; I telephoned my insurer who said they would send out an agent to board up and measure up for the repair.

A man called that evening and said he would board up from the outside; I had some cardboard over the inside as a very temp measure. When he left I removed the cardboard to find he had placed a piece of plywood on the broken glass fixed with just sealant, there was a gap all round with below freezing temperatures blowing in, there was large chunks of broken glass hanging on the inside from the diamond lead, it was neither secure, safe or weatherproof.

With regards to the repair itself, this is a 5 bay window with the middle one smashed; he said he was measuring for glass only for the broken section, to be put back into the existing aluminium beading trim which is set in a hard wood frame, he said the trim was damaged and it would take some time to straighten it. He advised I may be better off not claiming on my insurance because the law had changed with all glass fitted at a certain height, it now had to be toughened safety glass, so I will end up with one new panel with toughened glass, and 4 old ones, he said you may be better off getting all 5 panels replaced in view of this, saving your excess and no claims bonus.

My questions are;

1) If I don’t go ahead with the claim how to stand with being charged for this very shoddy boarding up?

2) Is it acceptable for the insurer to replace just the broken section of a five bay window, with different glass, which will stick out like a sore thumb, the window is over 10 years old, or should they have them all matching to meet the new legal standards and be cosmetically the same.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Bernie

Any glazing or part of that glazing, which is between the finished floor level and a height of 800mm above the floor level, is in a 'critical location'. Toughened glass is usually used nowadays anyway, most popular being Pilkington K glass. Depending on your excess, I'd say try and get the pane bought at trade, and try and find a friend who can do you a favour and fit it, and send the proof of purchase to claim on the insurance.

Maybe the guy who came round has a contact at a double glazing company and will get a nice wade of cash if he puts you in touch. You shouldn't notice a difference in the glass that's fitted if you keep your existing frames.

Regards your actual questions, not too sure but I'm guessing if you don't go through insurance you'll have to pay for it yourself, and hopefully someone can give you some better advice with the second question!!

Thanks for that, I am getting a price off a small local firm tomorrow, the chap who boarded up really didnt have a clue and I would'nt want him doing the job anyway, he was a nice enough bloke, he told me he just works for the firm who has the contract with the insurer and they only pay him £25 per boarding up, I am sure they will be trying to charge me a lot more. Cheers. Bernie