Help with a council tax debt.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5216 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi, I am looking for help with a council tax debt. I was paying my council tax but I fell behind with a couple of payments I have had the standard 14 day notice or we will take you to court they are demanding £700 in 14 days which I cannot afford. I have emailed them twice which I have the automated response from the council tax as a receipt. I emailed them my financial statements showing total out goings and incomings, I have emailed them the letter from my work showing that I will be made redundant at the end of the month, yet the only reply I have had was another letter stating that I will be going to court (no date given) unless I pay the full amount.

I have tried looking all over these forums and I keep finding bailiff letters but I wanted to know if there was a letter template before it goes to court? Because I am sure they have to notify me when the liability order is applied for and then they have to notify me when they are authorising the bailiffs to come round is this right? I have no problem problem paying it in affordable amounts but the council seems to have cut communication with me so if I can find a letter I want to print it off and send it by registered delivery. I think this would this be the right thing to do?

**Just to add** Is it true when you have arrears to the council tax that they have to be settled before the next financial year? I had an outstanding bill I made an offer but they said "it was unacceptable because it would mean that the debt would not be cleared before the next financial year" I was just curious is this true or more council bluff?

you don't 'have' to pay off the previous year no, but it would certainly be in your interest to do so.

pers, i'd phone them and discuss the matters, they are not there to blindly nail you, most CTAX depts will try and help all they can as long as you are resonable with repayments too.

i urge you to phone them and discuss a payment arrangement or do it in person.

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

You usually pay your Council Tax bill in instalments over 10 months. If you're having difficulty making a payment, contact your local council immediately and explain the situation. The longer you ignore a debt problem, the worse the situation becomes. This is also a damage limitation exercise as this is a priority debt. You should make a list of everyone you owe money to and prioritise your debts so that you know which debts you need to pay off first. Next draw up a personal budget so you can work out what you can afford to pay each creditor. If you come to an arrangement with the Council, you must stick to the arrangement. You should also find out whether you qualify for help, such as Council Tax Benefit.

WARNING TO ALL

Please be aware of acting on advice given by PM .Anyone can make mistakes and if advice is given on the main forum people can see it to correct it ,if given privately then no one can see it to correct it. Please also be aware of giving your personal details to strangers