Insurance company harassment over disputed debt

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5236 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

I'm after a bit of information. Mrs Pin1OnU and I are being hassled for payment by DCA's over a disputed debt relating to a Motor Vehicle Insurance policy.

The background is that we did not renew our policy and the Insurance Company attempted to collect the renewal amount via DD. They were out of luck as the account was empty at the time.

The are trying to claim for a period from the 20th Feb when the policy ended to when they deemed it cancelled on the 16 March.

We have disputed this - the policy ended at 23:59 on 19th February. In spite of the dispute they have referred the matter out to DCA's in clear breach of the OFT guidelines on disputed debt.

I spoke to them earlier in the year and asked them to stop this. The company said they required a document stating that we would not raise any claim for matters subsequent to the end of the policy. This was supplied and I thought the matter closed.

I have today received a typical notice from a DCA threatening the usual bs if we don't pay.

I have drafted a snot-o-gram to the Insurance company.

I have told them to cease and desist and have threatened them with complaints to the OFT for the guideline breaches, Trading Standards for CPUT breaches relating to agressive practice (etc) and the Insurance Ombudsman.

I also want to explore any other avenues of complaint (credit service association - fitness to hold a credit license? or other Trade Body) as I'm severely peed off with the whole affair and want to return the matter with interest.

Can anyone suggest any other agencies I can use to "harass" them with or do I have it covered?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This does not constitute legal advice and is not represented as a substitute for legal advice from an appropriately qualified person or firm.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

was your policy paid upto the renewal date?

did you receive a renewal notice and did you call the insurers to advise you did not want to renew?

your renewal notice should tell you if they will automatically renew if they do not here from you?

was your policy paid upto the renewal date?

did you receive a renewal notice and did you call the insurers to advise you did not want to renew?

your renewal notice should tell you if they will automatically renew if they do not here from you?

Insurance Policy was up to date to the renewal.

As the auto-renewal it's really irrelevent to the matter as we've already dealt with them, agreed a resolution which was to include the insurance company not persueing the charge and thought that was the end of the matter.

We are now several months down the line and they are still passing out the alleged debt despite it being disputed. Both the insurance company and the DCA's have continually made threats and behaved in an aggressive manner. It's time for me to fire a few broadsides of my own. So back to my question are there any other trade bodies that I can complain to.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This does not constitute legal advice and is not represented as a substitute for legal advice from an appropriately qualified person or firm.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• 2 weeks later...

Wrote a very snotty letter to the insurance company. Quoted chapter and verse to them about the OFT guidelines and disputed debt.

Also asked them for compensation for time spent/costs incurred and the harrassment.

The insurance company phoned yesterday confirmed the matter is now closed and offered £80 in compensation. £30 for costs and £50 for the harrassment.

Accepted the offer - a nice result just before Christmas.