Room Mates council tax debt - am i liable??

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5238 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Ive recently moved into a house with 2 friends with a fixed 12month tenancy. Just recently discovered that one of my room mates never paid council tax for last year while he was living alone and owes almost £1500. Since then we've had bailiffs turning up to our new house demanding payment!

Id just like clarification on what to expect. i.e. should the bailiffs manage to get into our property will my things also been taken to settle his debt.

For info - all 3 of our names are on the tenancy agreement which the bailiffs have got a copy of.

Many thanks in advance for any replies

The council will have a liability order against your room mate

this debt has nothing to do with you so to protect your property you can get a statutory declaration done at a solicitors this will cost you £5/£10

STATUTORY DECLARATION

To: (the bailiffs) (their address)

I (your name)

of (your address)

Do solemnly and sincerely declare that:

the items listed (list them) are not the property of (your friends name) and (reason why they were there) and have always been my sole property

And I make this solemn declaration conscientiously believing the same to be true and by virtue of the provisions of the Statutory Declarations Act 1835 and Section 5 of The Perjury Act 1911.

Signature:

Declared at

On the day of two thousand and

Before me

A Commissioner for Oaths, or Notary Public/Justice of the Peace/Solicitor having the powers conferred on a Commissioner for OathsBefore me

Brilliant news!!!!

Just out of interest though - if they turn up before i manage to get this sorted (i.e. they take my stuff while im typing this) will the letter still be valid?

Oh and i dont have the bailiffs details - any idea of how i can get hold of them without them charging in?

bailiffs if they get in to a property don't remove goods immediately they leave a walking possession agreement listing the goods they will remove if the debt is not paid so you will have time to get the statutory declaration done do it asap

If the bailiff has been he should have left a letter this should have the name of the bailiff company and the bailiff on it

its the company you sent the statutory declaration to send it recorded delivery send a copy don't send the original

your best bet is not to let the bailiffs in

a bailiff collecting council tax debt can only enter your property by peaceful means

through an unlocked door or open window keep your door locked at all times don't answer the door to him

if he has a car tell him to move it don't leave it in the next street move it well away from the house

ir the bailiff cant get any contact with a debtor the debt gets sent back to the council

That doesn't mean the debt goes away he will have to pay it

in extreme circumstances you can get sent to jail for refusing to pay council tax so your mate should start paying the council what he can afford through there on-line payment

if the bailiff gains a walking possession agreement it a whole new ball for your mate as it will add a considerable amount of money to his debt and he may lose his property