2005 council tax debt-bailiffs threatened-please advise urgently

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5236 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

This is for my son.

He shared a house back in 2005 with another student, to whom he paid rent and money for shared bills-council tax and utility bills.

After a while he felt compelled to move out, as his housemate was heavily into illegal substances and other practices which he didn't agree with.

Out of the blue he has just received a letter from the Council demanding £800 or the Bailiffs will call in 14 days. The demand is in the other students name and my son's name, but they have got my sons name wrong.

As he has already paid the money to his house mate for the rent/council tax (which obviously now had not been passed on to the Council) and was not aware nor had not agreed to have his name on the Council Tax Bill, how does he stand now? As Bailliffs are being mentioned it seems as if a CCJ must have been issued without his knowledge.

What is his best response? I have located the other guy via 192.com.

Elsa xx

This is for my son.

He shared a house back in 2005 with another student, to whom he paid rent and money for shared bills-council tax and utility bills.

After a while he felt compelled to move out, as his housemate was heavily into illegal substances and other practices which he didn't agree with.

Out of the blue he has just received a letter from the Council demanding £800 or the Bailiffs will call in 14 days. The demand is in the other students name and my son's name, but they have got my sons name wrong.

As he has already paid the money to his house mate for the rent/council tax (which obviously now had not been passed on to the Council) and was not aware nor had not agreed to have his name on the Council Tax Bill, how does he stand now? As Bailliffs are being mentioned it seems as if a CCJ must have been issued without his knowledge.

What is his best response? I have located the other guy via 192.com.

Elsa xx

Hi Elsa

Firstly you need to let the 'druggie' aware of the situation, then get as much info from your son ( no white lies ) then collate a letter to the council to establish how the debt was formed , over what time period, and did they obtain a ccj and if so you need the info, as you were not aware of any pursuing court action so therefore unable to defend the claim.

If they are sending the ' boys ' then ask them to put them on hold untill you get all the info you require to solve this debarcle.

Try to be polite with them ( even if you feel compeled to scream ).

I have had situations similar to yours, ( son's ) and I actually got it remedied at the first hurdle.

Good luck

Mr W

Edited by Mr Worried
Spelling

Regards..Mr Worried :)

Hi Mr W,

Good points, thanks for that. I think our little friend is the one who supplied my son's address to the Council. Some time ago I got a visit at home from the planning office - he'd told them my son had built a recording studio in our back garden! (Must be under the pond, or maybe hidden behind the gazebo!! LOL) We proved it was vexatious but just shows what he's like.

The more I think about it- my son was exempt then, as a student, yet still paid this lad his share in cash, supposedly to pay the bills. Also, he left the property a long time before this other guy did-yet it looks like he's being stung for the whole bill for the entire period. Hopefully with the full info as you suggest we can prove this and mitigate.

Hi Mr W,

Good points, thanks for that. I think our little friend is the one who supplied my son's address to the Council. Some time ago I got a visit at home from the planning office - he'd told them my son had built a recording studio in our back garden! (Must be under the pond, or maybe hidden behind the gazebo!! LOL) We proved it was vexatious but just shows what he's like.

The more I think about it- my son was exempt then, as a student, yet still paid this lad his share in cash, supposedly to pay the bills. Also, he left the property a long time before this other guy did-yet it looks like he's being stung for the whole bill for the entire period. Hopefully with the full info as you suggest we can prove this and mitigate.

Hi Elsa

Alittle word in the right ear and I can have the druggie put under your pond......

Anyway you need to move on and that can only be done by getting the info into the council, and request their co-operation in this matter, find out if you have a ccj against the claim and write to the courts explaing situation enclosing a copy of the letter you send to the council.

That is the way forward,,and as for the druggie..what area doe's he reside? which stone shall I over turn? which box shall I look in?..lol

Mr W

He'd pollute my pond..LOL... Makes my pondlife look positively fetching!

Going to get my son to scan me the letter and check up on moving dates etc. Plenty of people to testify when he moved out-it took a fleet of cars to shift all his gear. Students!!! Mind you he got a Ba (Hons) so twas worth it in the end :-)

He'd pollute my pond..LOL... Makes my pondlife look positively fetching!

Going to get my son to scan me the letter and check up on moving dates etc. Plenty of people to testify when he moved out-it took a fleet of cars to shift all his gear. Students!!! Mind you he got a Ba (Hons) so twas worth it in the end :-)

LOL