style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5229 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

HMRC are making me bankrupt after there mistake. I asked for their help in filling in my tax return after my first year and had made a considerable loss, I was told where to put this and that I could claim it back. subsequently they paid a large sum into my bank even after i challenged them on the phone, I used the monies in my businesses to pay bills etc, after 2 years of trying to sort it out and offering payment plans and having sent a payment that was returned they are making me bankrupt, I am starting to wonder whether I should just give up and sign on so I get to have a nice life instead of working 15 hours a day 7 days a week and treated like a criminal by HMRC. Has anyone else been thru this?? any ideas??

hI We have been fighting these for the past three years, currently with Parliamentary Ombudsman. We are in our late 50s and registered disabled. This is their mistake again and wrong advice. lost paperwork and dow right lies. My file is 400 pages, been fined for not filling in forms that dont apply to us. Instead of Christmas cards we get threats of bankruptcy and distraint orders, called us liars coerced us into signing doc and the original adjudicator though this was fair. Now asked what file is being looked at is it ours or selected hi lightd from inland rev.

Surely if everyone starts to tell their stories of lies and treatment by them we can stop this.

I'm afraid my MP is absolutely useless as far as these matters are concerned. Debtors rank somewhat lower than dog dirt.

I really do appreciate all those 'thank you' emails - I'm glad I've been able to help. Apologies if I haven't acknowledged all of them.

You can also ding my gong if you prefer. :)

As above it has worked for people in the past and in particular now that a general election will soon be upon us.

DG

I have no legal training my knowledge comes from my personal life experiences

Please help keep the forum alive by making a donation

Contact their oponents as they will be interested in anything that your MP is ignoring ;)

I think I'm caught in the middle here .... the opponents rank lower than dog dirt. They certainly behave like it.

H-E-L-P!

I really do appreciate all those 'thank you' emails - I'm glad I've been able to help. Apologies if I haven't acknowledged all of them.

I would be willing to collate everyones letters and complaints and send it all to HMRC complaints and my MP who is actually quite good and also get him to send it to the Parliamentry Ombudsman. If you all send your letters/experiences/complaints via email to me I would be happy to do this. What do you all think? We would need as many as we can get so would need to get the word out their. Email me at [email protected].

I got a letter in the door today, it said they (HMRC) were seeking to levy distraint against me.

My accountant filed my tax return last year but filed for 13 months instead of 12 plus 1.

HMRC sent it back but I did not see this envelope. I always get post from HMRC that is not relevant to me (PAYE for example). As far as I knew I had made my return and paid my tax. This delay was my mistake. As soon as it was discovered we split the return in two and sent it back to HMRC.

Turns out it was too late.

HMRC took my return as null and void and estimated my income. The tax calculated is just under 14000. I grossed 6000 last year (similar figure this year). I am training myself as I go so no large income yet. I registerd as self employed as I was surviving on my hobby turned profession as an IT person I wanted to do right by the tax man..

I met my accountant through a mutual friend and he said a company was the best way to go as there were many flexible ways of getting financial help. So I went limited.

In my first year I was late in filing but paid Companies house the penalty in installments. They acknowledged my return. (which was also sent to HRMC)

It may sound like a joke to you but my assets are nothing close to 2000. I live mostly on hope and ambition.

Does this mean that I will be made bankrupt for penalties and tax that is not connected to the reality of my situation?

I am sure I am not the first and "the law is the law", but is there a way I can pay in installments.

I am not sure my punishment in proportional. Is there anything I can do?

I came here to post as I am not totally confident in my accountant anymore, I need to know what my real options are. Each time we speak he seems more interested in covering his behind so I need to know as much as possible from a different source.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

I will call HMRC tomorrow, I am still in shock

Hi

Did this so called accountant not offer you any insurance protection on him getting it wrong so that he would be responsible to HM instead of you. A lot of accountants offer this sort of insurance now, my hubby used to be self employed and his accountant offer this insurance now I'm going back over 10 years so it should have been improved by now.

DG

I have no legal training my knowledge comes from my personal life experiences

Please help keep the forum alive by making a donation

I did not have any insurance, my cash flow was so erratic at the time I am sure I would not have taken him up on it if he had offered it which he did not.

Is it that dangerous to file a tax return that insurance is a good idea?

I just wanted to say hello I am legal and pay my taxes how can I help you today and issue an invoice at the end?

I would be worried about the threat of distraint, but not unduly so. They do this to my wife every year but don't carry it out.

That isn't to say they won't do it your case of course. Keep talking to them. Unlike debt collectors they don't and won't go away, but they can be pacified if you 'show willing'.

Thaks for your responses.

I called the collections offices who tell me that they made an estimate and I sould contact another office in central london.

I will still have to pay the penalties which amout to just under 1500.

The figure would make a very significant difference in my life but I will not complain. I know I am lucky.

Thank you for responding