style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5259 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi Guys, hoping someone out there can offer some advice/info regarding attachment of earnings orders due to council tax arrears.

A few months back, my husband got paid and we noticed it was less than we were expecting. He only found out that he had two AOE's on his wage after he asked his manager to explain what was on his payslip. This left us in severe hardship but the council told us basically that there's nothing we can do about it. As a result we've been left unable to pay gas and electric (we're on pre payment meters) and have to sit in the cold and dark night after night and that's just the tip of the iceberg!

This morning, we received a letter from the council advising of a third AOE they have applied. There is absolutely no way we can live with this so i'm really at a loss now. I've tried to search for similar threads but haven't managed to find any that offer any course of action or advising if there even is anything that can be done.

Another point, i checked the council website for the next district from me, and they state that if council tax arrears are for more than one year then no more than 2 orders can be in place at any time so if that's correct then how can they apply a third? If this applies to one council then surely it applies to them all?

I really appreciate anyone reading this and look forward to any replies.

P.s Just in case you need to know any further info here it is: my husband currently brings home £660 per month, we get child benefit of £132 per month and child tax credit weekly. We don't get working tax credit due to my husband not being allowed to receive public funds and our kids are 3 and 1. Our rent is £450 per month and we are currently trying to apply for housing benefit. If we do get it then we should get around £180 per month.

dont know about the AOE, but I would get onto social services pronto and state that due to these aoe's you now have no fuel and light and you have young children in the house, that should put a stop to the council taking anymore

Hi Kilic.

Council can indeed only apply two AOE's at one time. They may have sent a third but this will have to be queued behind the other two. Once one is finished the next AOE will be applied.

Unfortunately, the only situation when an AOE will be removed is if you are in danger of losing your home, i.e. mortgage repayments are not being met or rent is not being paid. If this is the case you will need to provide evidence of the rent arrears and more than likely a Section 8 order (eviction notice) and make a reasonable offer of repayment.

I would call the Council in question and ask for the oustanding balances for the three AOE's. The deductions are based on percentages of your income. I don't have the tables with me but I think it's around 5 -7% of NET earnings for your husband's wage.

Once they've attached an AOE, as long as your husband continues working, they will leave the orders intact as it is guaranteed regular income. As a final resort you could try writing to the Recovery Department of your local council and reminding them of the anti-poverty strategy they will more than likely have along with a more reasonable offer of repayment. I'm not promising it will work though =0(

Good luck