Council Tax demand after FIVE Years HELP!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5245 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi

I recently received a letter for a Council Tax demand for a property I owned back in 2004.

I sold the property on the 1st July 2004, however, the council is demanding payment between the dates March-June 2004 were the apartment was vacant and unfurnished. They are aware that I applied for exemption but insist that they wrote to me asking to make an appointment for an inspector to visit the property. Since it has been 5 years I do not have any records or evidence to show, and don't remember receiving such correspondences. I also owned other properties at the same time and was given an exemption period as vacant and unfurnished, with no inspection required.

Since speaking with the council they have passed the case onto Equita Bailiffs. I asked the council why have they decided to pursue this after 5 years. There answer was we have decided to recover this now.

Can the council demand this out of the blue and put me under pressure by instructing bailiffs.

Comments and help will be helpful.

Thanks for your time

Yes the council can ask you to pay any outstanding amounts due. It's not going to be in your favour that you have no paperwork for the exemption request.

Unless they have a liability order, they cannot enforce payment and after six years it becomes statute barred so they cannot chase it any more. If they have a liability order, however, then they can enforce collection with bailiffs or an attachement of earnings, and if you refuse to pay, they can take you to court and ask for a custodial sentence.

You should contact them with as many details as you can remember mentioning the other properties that were given exemption and see what they have to say, you can also send them a sar with £10 which will get you all the paperwork they hold on you.