Council Tax - urgent advice needed

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5246 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hiya

I hope this is the best place for this thread but I could not see any other relevant parts.

I wondered if anyone has come across this or can give me any advice.

The drama all started on Friday when I got home to find a card from a collections man from Leeds City Council asking my husband to contact him.

The council tax for this house is in my name and all the payments are uptodate and never had an issue so I was confussed why he had come knocking especially when we have had no letters.

My husband today rang them to be told that they want over £1000 in council tax.

He used to live in a shared house with 2 other people.

The council tax was in the name of all 3 tenents.

The landlord of the house has now sold it and the debt has come to light.

The council say they cannot trace the two previous tennents so they are holding my husband liable for 100%.

They supposedly cant get in touch with the landlord either.

The council tax was paid to the landlord.

My husband left that address in Dec 2003 and we knew nothing about it until now.

They are now demanding a minimum of £50.00 a month until it is paid off.

Our baby is due at the start of January and I will be on stat maternity pay after 6 weeks so this is not what we need at the moment.

My first words when he told me is that surely this is illegal. If the council tax was in 3 people's name why is he liable for all of it.

How can they come knocking on our door after this many years saying because they cant trace the old 2 tennents or landlord he is liable for everything.

Please can someone help

If the debt is from a period in which he lived in the property then he jointly liable with the other joint tenants and under council tax legislation each of them is 100% liable for the outstanding balance.

If he is liable for the period in question then the fact they cant trace the landlord is immaterial as he has no liability. Any agreement with your husband paying the council tax payments to the landlord is a private agreement and he needs to pursue the lanlord himself - it doesn't remove his liability to pay the council tax due to the council.