style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5246 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Some general advice if possible please. I have an idea what I am going to do at some stage.

I will try and make it short and sweet.

I had my car broken into by someone punching a hole in the drivers side lock. It appears that with VW cars this is common, and they then inserted some sort of implement and managed to lower all windows and therefore enter the car by unlocking it from the inside. They stole a number of items that were contained in a bag in the boot. The bag being found in an entry and returned to me later that day. The matter was reported to the police. (Who are on the trail) and then informed my car insurers. As to be expected they only insured contents up to £100 and as the excess was less than the property stolen and damage it wasn't worth claiming.

I then telephoned my house insurers as I have general goods insured up to the value of £8000 away fom my property the items stolen are covered by this insurance.

Having spent the first part of the call pressing this button that button and waiting I gave brief details of the event and was told that someone would make contact and take a full claim within 24 hours.

I was contacted the following day and gave the full delails of the theft, the details of the police and their crime number and I was able to provide serial numbers etc of the property stolen. I was on the phone for 65 minutes answering the most stupid questions imaginable (How did I feel when I found my car had been entered, what colour are you etc etc) and managed to hold myself together even when I was asked for a picture of the hole in the car lock however when the TABLETOP INVESTIGATOR then told me that she did not believe that thieves had entered my car by punching a hole in the lock opening the windows and then opening the car and stealing the goods.

She stated that in addition to the police report, the full details of items stolen and the picture of the hole in the lock she also wanted a full report from reputable persons as to how the thieves have done this and this has to be done at MY expense.

Having thought about this for a couple of days days and having visited my local VW garage to be told that YES they will look at my car but the labour alone will be £100 AN HOUR.

I am of the opinion to tell my insurers that Yes I will and can supply details of the police report, the full details of the property and also pictures of the damage but I am not prepared to take my car to a garage to be examined at a cost to me that could run into 500/600pounds and suggest that if they do not believe me I would like them to send an investigator to examine the car.

If I get a negative reply I am looking at cancelling the policy with immediate effect taking the matter further.

I should point out that I know all about false claims etc. My argument is that I should not have to investigate the crime and pay for those enquires

Ian A

First of all, have a read of the policy especially regarding How to protect your property and Actions you have to take.

My reply to them would be:

Dear Sirs

Ref: Policy number xxxxxxxxx

On the xxxx (date) I entered into a contractual agreement with your company for which your company will insure my property and in which I will pay the applicable premiums.

I have recently notified you of a theft that has happened of which I am the "sufferer" and you are the "insurer". In that telephonic conversation I explained how matters happened. If you so wish, I am prepared to put them in writing and send them to you.

In the first instance, I am not prepared to enter into lenghty litigation over the phone. Neither am I interested in entering into litigation by letter. And most of all, neither am I interested in entering into preposterous request from your office. Hence, hereunder please find the list of the items stolen from which which were insured by yourself. I also submit a photocopy of the Police crime reference.

Kindly advise me in writing what documentation you need to satisfy my claim. You are to note that, should you make any requests that will incur costs, you are to:

a: confirm that your office will pay said costs

b: if you state that said costs are to be bourne by myself to refer me to which part of the policy this is stated as so

c: in which part of the policy your requests are referred to

I await your kind reply within the next 14 days. Failure of which I then reserve the right to seek litigation at Court.

Yours

Edited by nick20045

If I have helped you or made you laugh by some witty remark and brightened your day................ the scales to click are over to your left hand side. :D:D

In short. Put the Onus on them. If they say they want this and that then.......... are they prepared to pay for it or if not, then which part of the agreement/contract refers to saying "I have to pay for this evidence".

If I have helped you or made you laugh by some witty remark and brightened your day................ the scales to click are over to your left hand side. :D:D

How do you know how the thieves entered the car?

If you were told that by a recognised expert (motor vehicle engineer, police officer etc) then give their details to your insurers.

If you were told that by an unqualified person (mate in pub etc) then tell that to your insurers.

Stress to them that you have no real idea how the thieves got in because you were not there, method of entry is not relevent (unless you left the vehicle unlocked). If they want to investigate anything, it's up to them to do that and NOT to put the onus on you to do that.

Mossy

With all due respect to Mosseycat and with thanks for the advice I didn't need an expert to tell me how they entered the car as there was a large hole where the lock should have been and again with respect I would suggest how they got into the car was very relevant.

I believe that it is not my job to investigate the crime that is the job of the police and certaily not my job to investigate the claim on behalf on my insurance company who I pay a great deal of money to insurer my belongings. If they beleive that I am making a fraudulant claim, and I fail to see how they can come to that conclusion due to the fact that the only persons who have seen the damage to my car is me, my wife, my mate. Both the police and insurers have only spoken to me over the phone and have not and as far as I am aware will not be viewing the damage and at the present time as far as the insurers are concerned there course of investigation at the present is no more than a 'Desk Top Investigation. In my view they could employ a local person to call and examine the damage and speak to me in person.

Regards

Ian A

The parts I do not understand...

managed to lower all windows and therefore enter the car by unlocking it from the inside.
Would it not have been easier to just bring the lock down especially if it is central locking?

as the excess was less than the property stolen and damage it wasn't worth claiming.
What about the damage to the car? That should be paid by the car insurer

Having thought about this for a couple of days days and having visited my local VW garage to be told that YES they will look at my car but the labour alone will be £100 AN HOUR.

Should be able to claim from the car insurer.

I am not prepared to take my car to a garage to be examined at a cost to me that could run into 500/600pounds and suggest that if they do not believe me I would like them to send an investigator to examine the car.

Ian A

The car insurer should repair the damage. Once you get the note stating what damage needs to be repaired then you can send a copy to your household insureres.