KwikFit Car Insurance Tripple Premium After Accident....PLEASE HELP

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5268 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi I really hope someone can offer some advise...

I took out car insurance with KwikFit on 26th April, Had a minor rear end collision which I accepted as my fault when I told the insurance company about it, at the same time - due to it being a new policy - I told them about an error with my no claims bonus, they had put 7 years instead of 6, they then said the best way to change this would be to cancel the original policy and start a fresh one with the ammended NCD, which they did and I paid an extra £60, fine, I thought, Until this morning when I recieved a letter requesting an additional premium of £1200!!

I phoned KwikFit and they said it was because of me being at fault with the accident and that's what my premium would have been if they'd known about the accident. But they did know because I told them!

I am concerned however that when the broker started the new policy he had forgot to put the pending accident claim on it and therefore the premium didn't change, when I recieved the new insurance certificate I checked all the details but didn't check the accident history part which was blank.

Am I really liable to pay this unbelievably excessive premium?

Even to cancel the policy they want £600, I simply can't afford to do this.

Please help, Thank you

Hi and welcome to the forums.

This doesn't sound fair at all, but I have no idea what you can do about it. I wonder if the broker was giving reasonable advice when he suggested cancelling the original policy and taking out a new one.

In any case, my reply will bump you to the top of the forum and hopefully someone who can help will be along soon.

RMW

"If you want my parking space, please take my disability" Common car park sign in France.

i think you have been given the totally the wrong advice,even conned. To amend you ncd from 7 to 6 should make no diff to your premium as the most that companys will accept is 5 (65 or 70%) as this is the maxium discount they will apply.

once you cancelled the 1st policy with a claim the full premium is due,you also now have a new policy with a fault claim which will increase the premium.

start the complaint ball rolling and state that you have been misold a new policy when there was no need to cancel the existing policy.

Hi, thanks for your reply and advice, I'm waiting on a phone call from KwikFit after they have looked into my complaint but I certainly will explain about being misold a new policy.

It's strange how they can increase my policy by £1200 making it a total of nearly £1800 when I done an online quote and KwikFit quoted me just under a thousand pound! Which is still nearly £400 above the cheapest quote.

There are a lot of companies that offer NCD up to 9 years as their scale, so there is no way to say for sure that moving the NCD from 7 to 6 will not affect your premium. Even for companies who's NCD maxes at 5 they still record higher NCDs as many claims will just step back your NCD by a few years (most commonly 2).

However the advice that you should cancel a policy and take up a new one is terrible advice. As they made the mistake in recording your NCD then they have to correct this for free (this is not a mid-term adjustment as you are not changing your details). If they refuse to correct the mistake then you can lodge a complaint against them as they are breaking the Data Protection Act by holding incorrect information about you.

You now need to lodge a complaint with them about the advice that you were given, stating that you expect your previous quote (subject to any NCD difference) to be honoured, and that by being given information that has resulted in your premium being increased by such a large amount that you have not been treated fairly.