Speeding Ticket from Spain?!!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2614 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

I have received a letter this morning (5th Nov 09), recorded post from Spain. The letter, although completely in Spanish, seems to be a speeding ticket from a vehicle I hired whilst on holiday in Menorca back in August this year!

There is a photo of the rear of the hire car and deducing from the letter they seem to be suggesting I was doing 70km/h in a 50 zone. I can't understand the letter, have no idea what the penalty is and haven't a clue how to appeal or pay or what to do with it!

I don't recall there being any signs warning of speeding in Menorca and if there were, they certainly weren't the old fashioned camera symbol we are used to here.

Does anyone have any experience of this happening to them? Or know where I can go to get some advice? I have no idea how Spanish law works and whether they consider it reasonable to write to me some 3 months after the alleged offence, but it all seems very unreasonable to me, especially writing to me in a language I can't understand! Can they enforce this?

Any help would be very much gratefully received.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi,

Sounds like total tosh, Google 'speeding ticket from spain', theres plenty of stuff about it, I would very much doubt it's legit.

Regards.

Scott.

Any advice I give is honest and in good faith.:)

If in doubt, you should seek the opinion of a Qualified Professional.

If you can, please donate to this site.

Help keep it up and active, helping people like you.

If you no longer require help, please do what you can to help others

RIP: Rooster-UK - MARTIN3030 - cerberusalert

Hi Scott,

Thanks for your reply. I've had a look around t'internet and plenty of people are saying it's a [problem] but others are saying it is likely to be genuine and that you risk being forced to pay the fine on the spot at the airport should you return in the future! Some people have said you have to take it to a branch of Santander bank and pay it there. I'm very suspicious over the whole thing!

Does sound dodgy, how are you supposed to read a letter in spanish ???

That's a coincidence. I just received a call from my house saying there's a registered letter from Spain waiting for me.

I asked for it to be opened, and it's a speeding fine from Menorca, saying something about 70kmph in a 50 zone, and asking for €100.

Where did you hire your car from?

I hired a Chevrolet Matiz from a small hire shop in Cala Galdana. Had it for about four days I think, back in May 2009.

Confused.

Are you sure the car in the photo is the one you had ?

Sounds like it could be a [problem] to me, but would the company you hired the car from be able to tell you anything about it?

They could be the ones running the [problem]! :eek:

If this has been useful to you, please click on the scales at bottom left of post. Thanks.

Advice & opinions of Rooster-UK are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Please use your own judgment.

-------------------------------------------------------

LOOK! Free CAG Toolbar.

Follow link for more information.

------------------------------------------------------

Please donate,

Help us to help others.

LINKS....

Forum Rules.

FAQs....

Really? How strange!

That's exactly what they're asking from me... I think!

The road ME-1 is mentioned, which I know is the (only) main road in Menorca, but 50km/h is a ridiculously slow 30mph, considering it is such a major road over there. I certainly don't remember there being such a low limit on that road.

We hired through Easy Car, which was subcontracted to Owner's Cars. A Seat Leon, which we picked up from the airport.

I've read on the Internet that there used to be a [problem] going around, which was featured on The Real Hustle. To cut a long story short, someone in Spain would see a very obvious looking tourist family get out of a very obvious hire car, take a photo of the car parked up, but in such an angle that there's no way you can tell whether it's moving, and get their mate working at the hire car company to dig out the details of the hirer. They then post you a letter asking you to transfer some money into their bank account as a fine.

The problem I have is that although the letter looks incredibly dodgy, the website that they refer you to (www.dgt.es) looks very professional and using Google translator, I've managed to work out a fair bit of the services they offer via the site, most of which are similar to our DVLA website here.

I think I'm going to contact Owner's Cars and see whether they have released my information to the Police over there.

Let me know what you decide to do with yours! Does your letter have a decent photograph on it?

I can tell that it's a Seat Leon and I remember it being that registration number, but the photo being in black and white, printed on plain paper and such bad quality, it is impossible to tell it apart from any other Seat Leon. I can't even tell what colour it is or whether it is on a road, private property, moving or stationary!

I've just gone on to the website they ask you to access to pay the fine and from using Google Translator, have managed to narrow down the link to get to the payment section. All of the website is completely in Spanish... until you click on this link and all of a sudden, it very helpfully turns into English to ask for your money! I didn't click on anything to ask for it to be in English, so why all of a sudden would it change to English? If, from this page, you click the button for help, it takes you back to the pages in Spanish. I'm convinced it's a very well executed [problem] using the official Spanish website with a bit of cut and paste!

IP Information - 92.122.126.235 IP address: 92.122.126.235 Reverse DNS: a92-122-126-235.deploy.akamaitechnologies.com. Reverse DNS authenticity: [Could be forged: hostname a92-122-126-235.deploy.akamaitechnologies.com. does not exist] ASN: 20940 ASN Name: AKAMAI-ASN1 (Akamai Technologies European AS) IP range connectivity: 1 Registrar (per ASN): RIPE Country (per IP registrar): EU [EU] Country Currency: EUR [euros] Country IP Range: 92.122.0.0 to 92.123.255.255 Country fraud profile: Normal City (per outside source): Unknown Country (per outside source): UK [united Kingdom] Private (internal) IP? No IP address registrar: whois.arin.net Known Proxy? No Link for WHOIS: 92.122.126.235

as in details above why would a spanish athority use a ISP in france ??

92.122.126.235 - Europe IP. Detailed location, ISP and more info.

sure sound like a [problem]

NEVER FORGET

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Help Our Hero's Website

http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/

HIGHWAY OF HEROES

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/bear-garden/181826-last-tribute-our-lads.html

Like Cooking ? check the Halogen Cooker thread

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/bear-garden/218990-cooking-halogen-cookers.html

Akamai Technologies are a global business. Even the White House website is hosted on Akamai tin.

I might be concerned about the lack of a valid security certificate for the dgt.es site.

I would ignore the letter.

Is there any reciprocal / unilateral agreement with Spain with regards payment of fines? Do their fines have any authority in the UK?

My letter needed to be signed for.

The photo (a little 8cm x 6cm black a white image) is shown in the bottom left corner of the letter. It's the make and model of the car I hired, taken from side rear (can't see if anyone's inside, or if it's moving, but I reckon it's on a road).

It would appear that if I pay promptly, there's a reduction from €100 to €70. But when I try working through the payment page on Dirección General de Tráfico I don't know what info is needed.

For instance, on this page:

https://apl.dgt.es/WEB_Sanciones/jsp/sincertificado/identificacionPagador.jsf

It asks for either a NIF, NIE, or CIF number. Where's that on the form? I can't see it. And yes, how strange that the page suddenly changes from Spanish to English! Here's the page that leads to the one above:

Dirección General de Tráfico : Trámites y Multas: JEFATURA VIRTUAL : ¿Alguna Multa? : Pago de la multa

Notice how it's in Spanish, as is everything else on the site leading up to the payment page.

I think the best thing to do is scan it and send it to a Spanish embassy. Looks dodgy to me.

David

Edited by confusedtourist

web sites can be set up to produce a version of their page in the visitor's language based on the visitors ip address which is unique (in most cases) to a country. Quite simple to do. In other words, the website will see your ip address as a UK one and then automatically present you with an English page.

:eek:

web sites can be set up to produce a version of their page in the visitor's language based on the visitors ip address which is unique (in most cases) to a country. Quite simple to do. In other words, the website will see your ip address as a UK one and then automatically present you with an English page.

that could be quite easily proved (well by a computer literate person who is cleverer than me) if any of our CAGgers are using a proxy server connection. If your theory holds up, when you click through using the proxy, that page should be displayed in Swedish or Russian or whichever language matches the proxy host address, or at the very least, if it can't recognise the proxy, the page should still be in Spanish.

There is a programme on BBC3 called 'The Real Hustle' and they recently did a programme which featured a [problem] about speeding tickets from abroard. They set up photographic evidence and everything, ultimatly sending someone round to the victims house to collect the money, who were so afraid they just paid up! The programme stated that at present there is no way to enforce a speeding ticket once you are back home.

There is no treaty between mainland EU countries and the UK on speeding offences YET although Kent Police are co-operating with the French Poice to catch UK drivers speeding back to the ferry ports but whether they are taking action through the UK Courts I do not know

You will only get fined if you are caught over there

Have not noticed any Fench police this side of the channel to catch French Drivers

It is almost certainly a [problem]

Do you have Legal protection on your House Insurance? You could get in touch with them and they will get a spanish lawyer to get in touch with you.

He will be able to tell you if it's a [problem] or not.

You could just ignore, but you could get arrested on your return to a Spanish Territory if it's legal.

• 2 weeks later...
Hi,

I have received a letter this morning (5th Nov 09), recorded post from Spain. The letter, although completely in Spanish, seems to be a speeding ticket from a vehicle I hired whilst on holiday in Menorca back in August this year!

There is a photo of the rear of the hire car and deducing from the letter they seem to be suggesting I was doing 70km/h in a 50 zone. I can't understand the letter, have no idea what the penalty is and haven't a clue how to appeal or pay or what to do with it!

I don't recall there being any signs warning of speeding in Menorca and if there were, they certainly weren't the old fashioned camera symbol we are used to here.

Does anyone have any experience of this happening to them? Or know where I can go to get some advice? I have no idea how Spanish law works and whether they consider it reasonable to write to me some 3 months after the alleged offence, but it all seems very unreasonable to me, especially writing to me in a language I can't understand! Can they enforce this?

Any help would be very much gratefully received.

Hi, I went to Ibiza in September of this year and have just received a very similar letter to the one mentioned in this forum (same website, photo bottom left, had to sign for it etc). I don't remember going through any cameras or for that matter going particularly fast anywhere... i was on holiday, there was no hurry! ... and have been searching everywhere on the net to try and find out if this is legit or not.

Have you got anywhere with your investigation at all?

The general oppinion on this was that its a [problem], and

they cannot enforce this thing once you get back home even if it was legit.

I bet you hired the car?

Someone will no doubt call and demand the money, it was on a programme called 'The Real Hustle'.

They got a copy of the contract, a picture of the car and photoshopped it to look like it had been taken by a speed camera. They then come around claiming to be from a debt collection ageny or something demanding money and all sorts. There is at present no way to enforce these things when you have left their shores so I wouldnt worry.

Yeah it was a hire car, booked through easycar like the earlier posts, and although the website (DGT) looks very official the letter looks far from official and I can't make anything out on it.

I go to spain a lot on holiday so my main concern is if I ignore it and then can't hire a car in spain again, so I'm interested to hear what the outcome was from the other two posts?