Patricia Pearl - Small Claims Procedure - A Practical Guide

An excellent guide for the layperson in how to use the County Court - a must if you are intending to start a claim.

£19.99 + £1.50 (P&P)

+ Reply to Thread
    Basic Account Holder sm03art Novitiate sm03art's Avatar

Follow Real_CAG on Twitter

Cagger since
    Jul 2006

Exclamation LV 14 day cooling off period

Right i took out car insuranceicon 2 days ago. I was told by LV that i had a cooling of period of 14 days. Ive cancelled the insurance today and been told there is a 35 cancellation charge, I tried to explan to the guy that i thought i had 14 days cooloing of period. but with no joy, i have 2 other car polices with LV and have had for 4 years, please advise

Cagger since
    Jul 2006

Default Re: LV 14 day cooling off period

Quote Originally Posted by sm03art View Post
    Right i took out car insuranceicon 2 days ago. I was told by LV that i had a cooling of period of 14 days. Ive cancelled the insurance today and been told there is a 35 cancellation charge, I tried to explan to the guy that i thought i had 14 days cooloing of period. but with no joy, i have 2 other car polices with LV and have had for 4 years, please advise
    anyone got any advice???

Basic Account Holder Ed Gasket Novitiate

Cagger since
    Feb 2009

Have a look at: The Great 'car insurance Cancellation & Administration Fee' Hunt - MoneySavingExpert.com Forums

A lot of experience and advice with the exact problem you have.

Basic Account Holder cazzaswfc Novitiate

Cagger since
    Apr 2007

have you made a claim?

According to LV's policy booklet you should get a refund

Your cancellation rights
    At policy commencement
    You are legally entitled to cancel this insurance during a period of 14 days after
    the day of purchase or the day on which you receive your insurance documents,
    whichever is later.
    If you do wish to cancel please return your insurance documents to us. We will
    be unable to cancel if you do not return the certificate of motor insuranceicon. A full
    refund of the premium will be paid to you unless you have made a claim within
    the 14 day period.
    During the policy
    If the cover has started and is beyond the 14 day statutory period, you will be
    entitled to a refund of the premium paid less a deduction for the days that you
    have been covered. This deduction will be calculated on a proportionate basis
    and will include an additional charge to cover our administrative costs. These
    charges will be subject to Insurance Premium Tax where applicable.

Most companyshave now changed their stance on the 14 day cooling off period, many now give 14 days OR until the day the policy starts ( so nobody can benefit from free cover)

I would call back and raise a complaint with a manager first, it seems that you SHOULD be entitled to a refund if you return your certificate of insurance ( may be worth doing this by recorded delivery - proof that it's being delievered)

Basic Account Holder Ed Gasket Novitiate

Cagger since
    Feb 2009

cassafwfc - I think you missed the point; the OP was complaining about a cancellation charge; not that he/she could not get the premium refunded.

Cagger since
    Apr 2007

Ed - why have I "missed" the point??

lv's wording that I've taken from the policy booklet does not state that a cancellation fee is applicable within the cooling off period.

The OP is entitled to a FULL refund with NO cancellation fee as they have cancelled the policy 2 days after inception.

or - I'm I seriously missing something here?

Cagger since
    Jul 2006

Quote Originally Posted by cazzaswfc View Post
    Ed - why have I "missed" the point??

lv's wording that I've taken from the policy booklet does not state that a cancellation fee is applicable within the cooling off period.

The OP is entitled to a FULL refund with NO cancellation fee as they have cancelled the policy 2 days after inception.

or - I'm I seriously missing something here?
    Cheers guys, what shall i do, write and letter or ring them....?

Cagger since
    Apr 2007

I'd call them first, ask to speak to a manager and state that you wish to make a complaint.

If you get no joy then write, I'd check website as you can sometimes email your complaint.

Viewing CAG on a small screen? Switch to the mobile version of the site

Reclaim the Right Ltd. - reg.05783665 in the UK reg. office:- 923 Finchley Road London NW11 7PE