Council going for Liability Order. No due process

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5277 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I have received a Summons to attend Court this Thurs 8th Nov. at this hearing they intend to get a Liability Order against me.

I have no arrears against me but there have been 2 occasions when I didnt pay by the due date. However I then paid more than was asked.

During this time I have not been served any reminder or Final Demand notice. I believe that the Council should legally send me these notices before issuing a Summons.

Is it worth going to Court and using this as a defence?

All it does is to establish if you are liable for council tax. It will be not paying by the due date as they can then rescind your right to pay in installments.

They really look forward to this so they make extra money out of you. They will be watching your account like a hawk in the future hoping you are late again and then they can legally rob you of more money.

If you think that you will have the liability order issued, then it's not worth the bother of going.

Well went yesterday and WON!!!!

Arrived at Court and requested a hearing. The Council Staff tried to fob me off and said it was unlikely I would win, what did I know about Council Tax Law etc. I stuck to my guns and after 2 hours went into Court.

Well what an experience the Council Officer gave the Court 2 different figures of how much I owed and I had a third one on the summons. The Officer was a gibbering idiot. He didnt have the correct paperwork etc. In the end he asked for the Liability Order minus the costs. The Bench were having none of it and accused him of making it up as he went along.

They refused to issue the order and dismissed the case.

My lesson from this is stand upto these people they are so arrogant and treat people with contempt. But like most bullies they back down once challenged.

That has to be the best news 'ever' posted on these forums.

Now hows about writing to your local paper with this story.

Well done meols - I'm going to write to the prime minister and recommend you for the New Years Honours. :)

When I came out of the Court I saw the Council Officers junior. I slapped my hand and said "Can you hear that? its the sound of your boss getting his arse slapped" He laughed.

The Officer rang me today and congratulated me on my performance in Court. Said he had cancelled the Summons, funny that as yesterday he said he couldnt do that.