Council Tax Help Please.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5282 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi... someone please help :-)

I have always paid my council tax by direct debit, always, always...

I had a letter from Birmingham City Council (BCC) 29-Sep-2008 stating I owed them £130.39. I knew this to be untrue as I aways paid by DD (as stated above :)).

I tried to phone them to get some answers but was always told someone would call me back, they never did.

I then got a court summons for £130.39 which would have £54 added on for costs. I tried to phone another 4 times but got same answers as before. So I thought "Sod 'em" I'll see them in court.

I gathered all my statements, booked a day off work and trotted along to the court where I met Amanda a BCC member. I explained everything to her and she trotted off with my statements proving I owed nothing.

I then received a letter telling me it was a mistake on their behalf. I sent them a letter asking for a full break down of my account over the years to see if they had made any more mistakes.

Low and behold they seem to have made a right mess of my account.

2003-2004 - I had just moved into the property (with my now wife who had lived here for 15 old years previously) - their charge for this year was £77.97, they say I paid £84.58, according to my statements I paid £126.00.

2005-2006 Charge £885.52

Less credit from 2003-2004 according to their calculations £6.61 (diff. £84.58 & £77.97)

Cort costs of £47.00 plus bailiff costs of £90.00 = £137.00

Total: £1015.91.

Strange this as I have never had a summons before the first one mentioned but they seem to have applied costs for a summons that I was never summoned for.

I have sent them a letter asking them to explain this. They replied stating

"Birmingham City Council moved to a new computer system in January 2006 but at the time of the issue of the bill and summons detailed above the reference number #####18886 (this was my wifes living on her own reference number) was quoted. Therefore you would not have received a summons quoting reference number #####01059 (mine and my wifes reference number)"

So they have added court costs and bailiff costs to our joint account without even summoning me and not even allowing me to defend this amount.

I have sent them a letter asking for a copy of this summons as I have never seen it. I have also asked them to reimburse me for the following:

1. £25 – Payment for my time wasted having to write this letter because you seem to be unable to reply to a letter in a satisfactory and timely manner.
  2. £137 added to my account and collected by DD for Court costs of £47 plus combined bailiff costs of £90 unless you can prove that these costs are valid.
  3. £5 - Payment for statements required when you incorrectly summoned me 22 October 2008
  4. £40 - Time spent on phone (£10 x 4) to your inadequate call centre after the summons trying to sort out your mess.
  5. £100 – cost of taking time off work to attend court 22 October 2008

I sent a letter 21st Sept giving them 30 days or I would start legal preoceedings but I have still not received any payment or even the common courtesy of a reply. :-x

Any suggestion how I now proceed with this?

I thought of stopping my current council tax payments but I'm sure that will land me in more trouble. :D

Thanks for reading - I know it's a long long post :)

Not sure about whether or not you have a chance of winning a Court case. Someone more knowledgeable may come along to give you advice about that.

You could go down their official complaints route. Send a copy of your previous letter to Birmingham City Council, Feedback, Freepost Licence 15136, Birmingham B11BR stating that you have not received a response and wish to make a complaint about the issues in your letter and the fact no one has responded to you. Don't send anything else to their Council Tax dept. They then have a 10 day deadline to let you know what is happening about your complaint. You are much more likely to get compensation from a complaint than a letter to the department.

Or you could contact your MP or one of your local Councillors who will contact the Council for you.