• Tweets

• I see the poops are still trying to deflect from their own criminality and and abuses by whinging on about raynors buying her council house - now about election registration - anyone who owns a flat or house understands that you dont give up your and your childrens home just because of a new relationship and while we are on about that ..   lets start with When is jenrick being revisited for both lockdown abuses and self admitted (claims estate is his main home - not the property in his electorate or his london property) 'possible (lol) electoral registration abuses as he claimed he was at his estate 'main home' away from both London and his electoral 'home'  - much of which paid for by the taxpayer     Cabinet Minister Robert Jenrick 'breaks lockdown rules twice' by going to 'second home' - Mirror Online WWW.MIRROR.CO.UK Key Cabinet Minister Robert Jenrick drove 150 miles to his 'second home' after urging the nation to remain in their homes in a bid to...   ... perhaps follow with more self admitted lobbying while in a potion where they shouldn't “A few of us in parliament have lobbied the government – and with the help of the Treasury select committee, the chancellor has listened,” John Baron wrote.   Tory MP faces lobbying questions over Treasury committee role | Investing | The Guardian WWW.THEGUARDIAN.COM Co-owner of investment management firm called for ‘urgent’ post-Brexit changes to City rules at committee meetings     About time labour got in the game and started pressing for these self admitted/bragged Tory abuses were properly investigates.
    • No I didn't I got the dates mixed up.   
    • Sorry about that, TJ. The person who posted it specifically said it was free access. Here's another version of the FT article. https://archive.is/KYrPa
    • Isnt there some indication in there of at least intent to inform arbuthnot? IF he wasn't then it would seem to be Vennells decision to keep him 'uninformed .. Although seems to me if arbuthnot was unaware - he was either incompetent or should have very detailed records of denials. Seems vennells is constantly at the core of all the lying about all these issues though.
    • Paywalled/subscribe HB I'm unaware of the details on this HB but why is it a potential taxpayer burden? Hasn't a judge already ruled port has rights of access - so shouldn't costs be on the private company (South Tees Development Corporation) trying to change established access?     LIVE: High Court updates as CEO gives evidence in access rights row between STDC and PD Ports - Teesside Live WWW.GAZETTELIVE.CO.UK The face-off between the Teesport operator and Mayor Ben Houchen's South Tees Development Corporation continues in the High Court  
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 160 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

£35 admin charge for changing address! ***WON***

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5019 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello,

I am with Budget car insurance. I moved house and the premium dropped because of ym new address, however Budget have said they will knock £35 off the refund as an admin fee. How can it cost £35 to change my address on their computer? This is outrageous.

Since the OFT ruled that bank charges were unfair, surely this must also apply to insurance companies. I wrote to Budget and they will not move on the issue. I contacted the Financial Services Ombudsman but they have sent me two letters saying my case has not been assigned yet due to a backlog of complaints.

Rather than wait for ther FOS, I would like to go to the small claims court. Can anyone advise me on what to type into the moneyclaim web site?

Budget have told me they will not quote for me next year because I have complained. This does not seem fair either, however I would not use them again if I could, and I would advise everyone else to do the same. Shortly after I started the policy, within the cooling-off period, Nationwide began their car insurance offer. I was unable to switch because Budget wanted to charge me large cancellation fees. They said the fees were imposed by the underwriter. The underwriter sent me a letter saying that they impose no such fees, so Budget were lying! I complained to the FOS but I was amazed they did not act. Their attitude was that any saving with Nationwide was "speculative" and that I had car insurance with Budget, if I really wanted to cancel I could have paid, and what was I complaining about?

Hi

amongst the documentation you received from Budget, you would have got a Keyfacts about our Insurance Services sheet, which the FSA require them to give to you.

Under section 4 - What will you have to pay us for our services?

An arrangement fee of £20

Cancellation fee of £55 if cancelled by either party 14 days after issue of policy documents.

Administration fee of £20 for all policy amendments.

Default fee of £20

Cert reprint fee of £15

So I think you have a point to draw their attention to, as they've not cancelled your insurance, they've amended it.

I would just write to them informing them of your new address and pointing out that they have a duty to process personal information accuratley under the data protection act

keeping a copy of the letter

this of course is my opinion and informal advice

When you want to fool the world, tell the truth. :D

Advice & opinions of Janet-M are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Use your own judgment. Seek advice of a qualified insured professional if you have any

doubts.

This is perhaps a tricky one. The change has resulted in a service by the insurer (the service being to alter their records) but did this also result in the issuing of any new documents?

A charge for services (real ones, not the type the banks pretend they are giving) is different to a penalty for a breach of conditions.

However, I do think that £35 is extortionate for the service, even if they did have to issue new documents.

I have today changed my car and Lloyds wanted £15.75, which covers their time in quoting, altering and issuing a new insurance document etc. I'm happy with that, but I wouldn't have been with £35.

The other thing to be aware of is that you seem keen to start legal action in the courts, but you have not mentioned any letters you might have sent which stipulate the refund you require, or that give notice to the legal action - i.e. similar to our Prelim and LBA letters.

It is very important that you do show a court that you have given ample opportunity to resolve the issue without their intervention.

I suspect that, right or wrong, if you reach the stage of sending an LBA, they might well offer a goodwill settlement.

Opinions given herein are made informally by myself as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice, you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

Thanks for the advice. I have sent a couple of letters to Budget but they have not had the response I had hoped for. That's why I think I need a more "legal" letter. I have been waiting a couple of months of the FOS to assign the case to someone which is why I am gettign impatient. I will try writing to Budget again, but I would be grateful for a template letter that is a bit more legal than my efforts to date. Thanks.

Is the charge purely an admin charge or has the move to a different address resulted in a change of premium and they've charged the admin fee and premium hike as one item?

The change of address has resulted in a drop in the premium, so they have refunded the premium less this charge. They did not offer this refund automatically; it took three letters after I had moved before they sent the cheque!

Why insure with Budget in the first place - you're always best going direct to an insurer such as Churchill/Directline/Norwich Union etc and not via a broker - it's best to cut out the middle man - trust me!

Why insure with Budget in the first place - you're always best going direct to an insurer such as Churchill/Directline/Norwich Union etc and not via a broker - it's best to cut out the middle man - trust me!

At the time the search engines found their quote to be cheapest and I did not realise they were brokers.

cheap isn't alway the best - at the moment, as an ex-claims bod - I would recommend Barclays Home Insurance that's underwritten by Gresham Insurance (actually Norwich Union). The policy is very comprehensive and also includes additional cover that a lot of policies don't! For example, my insurance (I have BDGS/CNTS/P Possessions - the cover includes up to £500 for the failure of Freezers/Fridges plus much more all at a competitive price. At the moment Barclays will guarantee to beat your quote. PS you can cancel Home Insurance at any time - not just at the renewal date.

Unfortunately many of the personal lines providers now make adjustment charges which should be set out in the policy documentation, their excuse being that it costs money to make adjustments & issue revised documentation.

In the case of direct Underwriters, in order to compete with the open market with premiums, their margins ( operating costs / profit etc ) are kept to a bare minimum so increase profit by charging for "additional services "

Where brokers are concerned, they are remunerated by way of commission from Underwriters usually a percentage of the policy premium with an annual bonus ( can't use the word overrider now ) depending upon the profitability of the broker's account with that particular insurer. Their "admin" charges are therefore in addition their commissions from Insurers. Such additional costs are there purely to enhance profit but are not illegal albeit probably unethical as they are a charge for a service given.

Yes they are a rip off but this is why ( and many will not agree with me on this one ) that personal lines car insurance is so cheap to buy in the first place.

Oh dear - may have started a bit of a discussion point here !!!!

:p :p If my advice as been of help, please give me a quick click on the scales to your right ;) ;) :)

cheap isn't alway the best ... PS you can cancel Home Insurance at any time - not just at the renewal date.

I'd agree that with Budget yopu get what you pay for: little!

I could cancel the policy but considering they charge £35 to change address, they charge considerably more to cancel, so I'll sit it out until renewal!

Is this all legal?

Seems ridiculous that then can get away with it?

If changing you address on the documents is a requirement and you are forced to pay to do so, surely you can cancel and get a partial refund???

I see this as anti competitive. Would they of charged if you had moved next door and the premium was the same?

Regards

Is this all legal?

Seems ridiculous that then can get away with it?

If changing you address on the documents is a requirement and you are forced to pay to do so, surely you can cancel and get a partial refund???

I see this as anti competitive. Would they of charged if you had moved next door and the premium was the same?

Regards

Is this all legal? That's what I came to these forums to find out!

If you move next door, they will charge an admin fee for typing the new address into their computer. If you cancel, the problem is they hit you with an even bigger cancellation fee!

I'm afraid it is as these charges are set out in their wordings.

It is an admin fee for alteration to the policy irrespective as to whether the change results in an adjustment to the premium.

Dick Turpin wouldn't have got away with this !!!

:p :p If my advice as been of help, please give me a quick click on the scales to your right ;) ;) :)

I'm afraid it is as these charges are set out in their wordings....

Perhaps you missed the point about bank charges :-) These are printed in their terms and conditions too, but it doesn't mean they are lawful.

The point in question really is based on the following: Is this a regulated agreement (i.e. Consumer Credit Act) and does it cost them the amount they charge? Even if it doesn't, this issue has not been dealt with yet by our members, so you might be breaking new ground.

I don't for one minute believe it is a fair charge, but that's just a personal viewpoint. If you challenge it in the same way we challenge bank charges, you might be lucky and get them to reduce the amount, but you might have to go to court. If so, are you sure that the law backs you up?

Opinions given herein are made informally by myself as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice, you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

The charge is way over the top. Privilige Insurance charged me £15 when I changed address earlier in the year. It might be worthwhile checking with other insurers to see what their charges are.

• 1 month later...

My brother has just been charged £386 to cancel his policy with Budget - see the link in the top of my siganture - they wont put in it writing and they just keep refering him to the T&C saying its their entitlment etc - i'd never use them!

People who haven't made mistakes, haven't made anything!

The charge is legal I am afraid.

With regards to the complaint against banks this is a result of a breach of contract. As you are moving house you have not broken any contract.

However, it is extortionate - I suspect you are paying an administration charge for the insurers and the brokers....

• Confused 1

Abbey - owed £3260 - Paid up.

Barclays owed £2500 - Paid up.

Halifax, Mint & Egg - next on the hit list

Dont click on the scales - I'm quite proud of my little red dot! - As the little red dot has gone - click away!!!!

• 2 weeks later...
The charge is legal I am afraid...However, it is extortionate - I suspect you are paying an administration charge for the insurers and the brokers....

If the charges are a fee for a service, then they must be reasonable under S.15 of the Supply of Goods and Services Act (1982).

Having not had to use insurance companies for several years owing to a company car, it was a surprise to me to find that after scrapping my insured car (Admiral insurance) and writing to them to cancel the cover, I was charged an admin fee of £45, whcih resulted in me owing them £25.07 after they'd calculated the refund due (I didn't read the small print).

I was infuriated as this is clearly profiteering at my expense and I feel I'm obliged to reveal changes in circumstances to them, if I'd let the insurance elapse naturally, there'd be no fee, it's win win for them. Having had cars lost/stolen etc in the past, I don't recall being hit by these rip off charges.

They also cited the Road Traffic Act 1988 on me stating it was an offence for me not to send back the certificate of insurance and the SORN declaration or certifice from the scrap merchant.

I've asked for them to provide more details of the particular piece of law to which they refer, as this has never been quoted to me before, and I've also sent them a breakdown of the various administrative costs I will charge, for providing such archived papers, effectively, £25 per letter, £10 for document retrieval, and made these payabe in advance. I enclosed the invoice, payable in advance, and 7x 1p cheques to clear the balance.

Within a day, they'd sent a letter stating that if I'd not paid up (and bear in mind I'd only had the original letter for a few days), they'd send the debt collecter round..haha (always makes me laff cos I live on a boat that's never moored up), obviously the letters crossed in the post.

So, I feel very smug and happy cos I bet my fees mount up quicker than there's and I've got more time on my hands than they dare think.

Essentially, perhaps you could do the same, I've tried it more often than I care to remember and to be honest, once they (any big organisation) get the invoice, it always seems to go straight to their finance people who seem to put a stop to any nonsense, I did use some legal jargon (from my experience suing the banks), enough to ensure that the minimum wage clerk might pass to the office manager at least.

Good luck anyway, thanks to this forum, I've had so much fun getting even with the faceless corporations (by whom I'm employed), I've had so much fun at their expense!

I'll let you know how I get on!

• 2 months later...
If the charges are a fee for a service, then they must be reasonable under S.15 of the Supply of Goods and Services Act (1982).

Hello everyone. Sorry it's been so long since I posted about this.

I referred the matter to the Financial Ombudsman (FOS). They dragged their feet and then proclaimed that Budget had done nothing wrong.

Having said that, I complained to the FOS about my unfair bank charges and they said they were not wrong either! In fact the FOS phoned me and spent twenty minutes playing devil's advocate and arguing the case for the bank charges. I am thoroughly disgusted with the FOS.

In that instance I ignored the FOS and sued the bank and won (well, the bank settled out of court to be correct but it's a win in my book).

I've been busy with other problems life has thrown at me so Budget's charges have been sitting on the back burner until now but at last I have filed a claim with the small claims court for the amount they took so I shall let you know how I get on.

If they have failed to give you a breakdown of their costs to effect the change of address on your policy, then I would go for it. As a comparison, my wife just added another motorcycle to her current policy (in addition to the one already covered). The policy runs until the 26th July and her insurancy company (Ebike) only charged her a total of £16 for this change. Budget are really extracting the urine by charging an admin fee of £35 to change the address over.

Have you sent them a letter before action advising them of your intentions?