general decorations on coucil properties

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5267 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

does anyone know where a tenant stands with regards to decorating their coucil property. is the coucil responsible for any decorations or not?

Where I am mate in Barking and Dagenham it is the tenants responsibility unless you have just moved in and then you can apply for a decorating allowance if the house is in need of it.

Other than that, its down to the tenant to maintain the inside of the property, with the exception of physical repairs to the structure.

Hope that helps.

It should be noted in your tenancy agreement what is your responsibility and what is the council's responsibility.

Generally, indoor decor is the responsibility of the tenant, with the council being responsible for the repair of structural wear and tear.

In lots of areas, if you have just taken on the lease, you can apply for a discretionary payment towards decorating costs.

My advice is based on my opinion, my experience and my education. I do not profess to be an expert in any given field. If requested, I will provide a link where possible to relevant legislation or guidance, so that advice provided can be confirmed and I do encourage others to follow those links for their own peace of mind. Sometimes my advice is not what people necesserily want to hear, but I will advise on facts as I know them - although it may not be what a person wants to hear it helps to know where you stand. Advice on the internet should never be a substitute for advice from your own legal professional with full knowledge of your individual case.

Please do not seek, offer or produce advice on a consumer issue via private message; it is against

forum rules to advise via private message, therefore pm's requesting private advice will not receive a response.

(exceptions for prior authorisation)

Internal decorations are usually the responsibility of the tenant. If decorations are needed to a property after the last tenant moved out the new tenant will often get money/vouchers, etc to complete the work needed. The organisation I work for also has a rolling scheme where tenants who are over 60 or disabled can have up to 3 rooms decorated.