Student Council Tax issue

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5297 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi, I live alone and I am a full time student for 24 weeks and 21 hours+ per week. I have filled in all my forms, had my lecturer sign then, all handed in and told it was smashing.

however, on 9.10.09 I received 2 council tax letters from glasgow city council. One stated that I had a full exemption on basis of being a student and my balance due for 09/10 = £0.00

The other said that I had a balance of £111.50 due as a single persons discount was applied.

Both letters were dated the same day, I assumed they have accidently processed a 25% discount first (and an automated letter was generated) and then noticed and rectified.

Alas, this morning I returned form work to find a letter from Scott +Co stated a Sheriff Warrant has been granted (????) and that the balance of £111.50 is owing.

I just want to check this out, I mean I have been a full time student last year and this year.

If I owe it I have no issues paying, but I don't want my bank account frozen or credit file affected.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Amanda x

The only way you can answer this is to speak to the council - are you sure the bills are for the same period ?, in order to get to the stage of a bailiff being issued then you would have needed to be billed, had at least 1 reminder, a court summons and a request for information form (regualtion 36 notice) sent.

Iam suprised if the bills have been issued on the same date to cover the same period as most systems will only generate a bill based on the details held at the end of the day when the billing run is done.