Urgent advice Housing Benefits (entitled if apprentice)

Mckens25
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5270 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi everyone,

I am a recent graduate and applying for Local Housing Allowance. I have found fulltime employment (40+ hours a week) and on low income but will be concidered an intern on my contract. Am I still entitled to LHA if I am a paid intern? Because one question on the application for specifically referes to apprentice.

thank you in advanced Bryan

It's impossible to say as it would depend upon the calculation of what they deem necessary rent and whether your income would be above that threshold.

My advice is based on my opinion, my experience and my education. I do not profess to be an expert in any given field. If requested, I will provide a link where possible to relevant legislation or guidance, so that advice provided can be confirmed and I do encourage others to follow those links for their own peace of mind. Sometimes my advice is not what people necesserily want to hear, but I will advise on facts as I know them - although it may not be what a person wants to hear it helps to know where you stand. Advice on the internet should never be a substitute for advice from your own legal professional with full knowledge of your individual case.

Please do not seek, offer or produce advice on a consumer issue via private message; it is against

forum rules to advise via private message, therefore pm's requesting private advice will not receive a response.

(exceptions for prior authorisation)

Basicly I checked on the website for LHA that I am entitled to LHA, the only concern I have is that I am a intern.

In london the LHA in the area is 350 p/w max for a 1 bedroom and my rent is 265 p/w and I am making 1300 a month as an intern.

Your benefit entitlement would be £280.00. (£265.00 + £15.00 excess as the LHA rate is greater than the rental rate), however this will be affected by how much you earn.

I predict roughly £178.00 weekly for housing benefit based on the LHA calculation. You may also be entitled to council tax benefit. Being an apprentice has nothing to do with the amount of Housing Benefit you receive as far as I am aware, as it is based upon income and savings, but Council Tax discount can be applied for apprentices. I suspect this is the reason for the question on the application form, as Housing benefit and council tax benefit are usually applied for on the same form.

I would also question whether you are considered as an apprentice, insofar as a claim to benefit is concerned. "Apprentice" is defined as a person undertaking a state sponsored programme. I would perhaps explain in the additional information area of the claim form exactly what type of internship you will be on, which will avoid problems later on if you are acutally not considered an apprentice.

You can get a better idea using the calculator here: Start Calculation

• Haha 1

My advice is based on my opinion, my experience and my education. I do not profess to be an expert in any given field. If requested, I will provide a link where possible to relevant legislation or guidance, so that advice provided can be confirmed and I do encourage others to follow those links for their own peace of mind. Sometimes my advice is not what people necesserily want to hear, but I will advise on facts as I know them - although it may not be what a person wants to hear it helps to know where you stand. Advice on the internet should never be a substitute for advice from your own legal professional with full knowledge of your individual case.

Please do not seek, offer or produce advice on a consumer issue via private message; it is against

forum rules to advise via private message, therefore pm's requesting private advice will not receive a response.

(exceptions for prior authorisation)

Erika thank you so much for this to the point explanation. I am so stressed at this moment, but hopefully it will all work out fine. Will deffinatly research more about the internship (which I believe is just a trial period for myself to see in which area of the business I fit the best).

thanks again

It really just depends on income and savings, your exact employment status doesn't matter.

• Haha 1

Post by me are intended as a discussion of the issues involved, as these are of general interest to me and others on the forum. Although it is hoped such discussion will be of use to readers, before exposing yourself to risk of loss you should not rely on any principles discussed without confirming the situation with a qualified person.