council chasing council tax debt

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5282 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I have been chased by the council for unpaid council tax debt. The got liability order against me and i sent them my offer to pay (£70/month). They have not accepted this and are insisting on £206/month, threatening that if i don't set up a dd they will send in bailiffs.

Since being made redundant at the beginning of last year i have had trouble with council tax. i am now working part time (earning around £800/month) which is not even enough to pay my mortgage (am getting further into debt) and cannot afford the 70 offered (which i am paying and ahve been paying for over 7 months now) let alone the £206 required.

What can i do to get these people off my back and not have any further charges being added to the debt!

Please help!!! this is very stressful for me!

You can ask them for an income and expenditure form. Filling this out and sending them a copy would show clearly what you are able to afford to pay and is more likely to be accepted.

You could also try to get some advice from CAB or the National Debtline. They can intervene on your behalf if creditors are not being reasonable.

thanks aviva. have already filled in that form (that they sent) giving details of all my income & outgoings and making an offer to pay £70/month but they simply refused and sent me a letter saying that if i don't set up a dd within 7 days for £206/month they will instruct bailiffs. CAB are overwhelmed so no help there!!! i feel completely isolated with an increasing debt since once the bailiffs are instructed more will be added to the bill!!!! the council are simply abusing their power to get the most vulnerable to pay this tax!

• 2 weeks later...

i had a letter today saying i owe for council tax years 2001-2002 £423 and i need to pay within 14 days in full or make an arrangement this is the first letter i have ever had about this can they make me pay this after all this time