Patricia Pearl - Small Claims Procedure - A Practical Guide

An excellent guide for the layperson in how to use the County Court - a must if you are intending to start a claim.

£19.99 + £1.50 (P&P)

+ Reply to Thread
    Basic Account Holder Nicky Bodmin Novitiate

Follow Real_CAG on Twitter

Cagger since
    Jul 2009

Default is a logbook proof of ownership

Hi guys me again, can any body please advise me if the name on a car logbook is proof of legal owner.
    Can a logbook have one persons name, but be legally owned by another.
    If so can you point me to any law supporting this, I have issues with Logbook loans, who took my car due to a logbook loan placed on it.
    I have studied the Bill of Sales Act which gives them the security on my car. It states sec 5 of the Act, contains two important provisions avoiding a Bill of Sale, "except as against the grantor," in respect of

(1) personal chattels not specifically described in the scheduled;
    and

(2) personal chattels specifically described therein of which the grantor was not the true owner at the date of the deed

Can any body please clarify the legal term for the following

1.Legal ownership

2.Equitable ownership.

Or just advice on legal requirements if any on a logbook

Follows
    Following

Gold Account Holder
    Help the CAG!!
    Download our toolbar
    old_andrew2007 Highly informative old_andrew2007 Highly informative old_andrew2007 Highly informative old_andrew2007 Highly informative old_andrew2007 Highly informative old_andrew2007 Highly informative

Cagger since
    Jan 2007
    I am in
    West Midlands

Default Re: is a logbook proof of ownership

Bump

Basic Account Holder trooper68 Novitiate

Cagger since
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally Posted by Nicky Bodmin View Post
    Hi guys me again, can any body please advise me if the name on a car logbook is proof of legal owner.
    Can a logbook have one persons name, but be legally owned by another.
    If so can you point me to any law supporting this, I have issues with Logbook loans, who took my car due to a logbook loan placed on it.
    I have studied the Bill of Sales Act which gives them the security on my car. It states sec 5 of the Act, contains two important provisions avoiding a Bill of Sale, "except as against the grantor," in respect of

(1) personal chattels not specifically described in the scheduled;
    and

(2) personal chattels specifically described therein of which the grantor was not the true owner at the date of the deed

Can any body please clarify the legal term for the following

1.Legal ownership

2.Equitable ownership.

Or just advice on legal requirements if any on a logbook

A logbook is not proof of ownership. Its a proof of a keeper.
    A finance company owns the car until the payments are finished, but, you "keep" the car at your address.
    thats what was explained to me by the fuzz..

trooper68

trooper68

Basic Account Holder Nicky Bodmin Novitiate

Cagger since
    Jul 2009

Quote Originally Posted by trooper68 View Post
    A logbook is not proof of ownership. Its a proof of a keeper.
    A finance company owns the car until the payments are finished, but, you "keep" the car at your address.
    thats what was explained to me by the fuzz..

trooper68

trooper68
    Hi, but the car didnt belong to the person who took out the loan. They have now sold the car and I have lost alot of money. And the signatures on all the paperwork are all different and not the borrowers

Basic Account Holder trooper68 Novitiate

Cagger since
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally Posted by Nicky Bodmin View Post
    Hi, but the car didnt belong to the person who took out the loan. They have now sold the car and I have lost alot of money. And the signatures on all the paperwork are all different and not the borrowers

Then you are a victim of fraud, the police should be informed. However, I would go along with the person who had the loan and make a statement to the Police, stating that the signatureicon is not his/hers. The Police must make inquires based on your statments. That would be my next step.

trooper68

Viewing CAG on a small screen? Switch to the mobile version of the site

Reclaim the Right Ltd. - reg.05783665 in the UK reg. office:- 923 Finchley Road London NW11 7PE