Patricia Pearl - Small Claims Procedure - A Practical Guide

An excellent guide for the layperson in how to use the County Court - a must if you are intending to start a claim.

£19.99 + £1.50 (P&P)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4
FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Basic Account Holder Nicola85 Novitiate

Follow Real_CAG on Twitter

Cagger since
    Oct 2009

Default Re: Debenhams/Santander Cards-Viking Collection Services LTD

Today I recieved court papers. I'm not quite sure what to do. I know that I have to either deny or accept that I owe the debt. The problem I have is that YES I do owe the debt but I have no money in which to pay it with. If I accept that I owe the debt then I'll recieve a CCJ and I have no money to pay the CCJ. If I deny the debt then it's more than likely they can prove I owe them money and I'll still end up with a CCJ. I was never trying to get out of paying my debt. I just hit a bad financial patch and then things sarted to go down hill from there. I've tried talking to theese people and come to some sort of a payment arrangement but I'm not getting anywhere. Is there anyone who can give me some advice? Thanks so much. Nicola.

Royalties Account Holder
    Help the CAG!!
    Download our toolbar
    Bazooka Boo Authoritative Bazooka Boo Authoritative Bazooka Boo Authoritative Bazooka Boo Authoritative Bazooka Boo Authoritative Bazooka Boo Authoritative Bazooka Boo Authoritative Bazooka Boo Authoritative Bazooka Boo Authoritative Bazooka Boo Authoritative Bazooka Boo Authoritative Bazooka Boo's Avatar

Cagger since
    Feb 2008
    I am in
    Southsea
    Blog Entries

Have you kept all correspondence relating to your payment proposals?

If you have stated to them that you will pay X amount per month/week and they have refused then, they will not have a leg to stand on in court, the judge will simply tell them that all they will get from now on is the amount you stated that you could afford, and if thats 1 a week, then tough on them.

Is it an SD you have received? If so you have 14 days in which to acknowledge it, and you can even do it online, so are able to take it right up to the 11th hour.

It's a shame you can't post it up for Cerbs to have a look at, does it refer to the document as a Statutory Demand?

Worrying is like a rocking chair, it gives you something to do but gets you nowhere!
    How to use Photobucket by Huggie41.
    HOW DO I START A NEW THREAD?

Follows
    Following

Cagger since
    Oct 2009

As far as I can tell, it's a claim formicon and a response pack. I'm suppost to fill in one of the two forms. One is to deny the other to accept. From what I can tell they are real papers they have been stamped by the court and it has a reference number. It's not a statutory demand.

What I really would like to ask is can I be issued with a CCJ if I don't have a wage and I don't owne a home or car?

Classic Account Holder
    Help the CAG!!
    Make a contribution
    lilly white Highly informative lilly white Highly informative lilly white Highly informative lilly white Highly informative lilly white Highly informative lilly white Highly informative lilly white's Avatar

Cagger since
    Dec 2008

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk...how-start.html

yes you can be given a CCJ SO HAVE A READ

Id quot circumiret, circumveniat.

please do not take my word for anything please do your own research All that i make comments on are done in good faith and to the best of my knowledge
    Follows
    Following

Classic Account Holder
    Help the CAG!!
    Make a contribution
    lilly white Highly informative lilly white Highly informative lilly white Highly informative lilly white Highly informative lilly white Highly informative lilly white Highly informative lilly white's Avatar

Cagger since
    Dec 2008

MODS CAN WE MOVED THIS TO LEGAL FORUMS IF OP AGREEDS.

What are the POCicon

please do not take my word for anything please do your own research All that i make comments on are done in good faith and to the best of my knowledge
    Follows
    Following

Cagger since
    Oct 2009

I think I'll just fill in the form and say I accept the debt. I can't fill in the one to deny as I have no defence as Yes I do owe the debt. So I'll just fill it in and tell them I have no wages and I don't have any outgoings and see what happens from there as they are never going to get any money out of me I have none and I doubt I'll have any for the forseable future. They can't take what I have not got.

Classic Account Holder
    Help the CAG!!
    Make a contribution

Cagger since
    Dec 2008

i do think that you should defend

As it has gone to court it would wise to go through the act as you will be in a better position in regards to controll.

However to you

lilly white

Follows
    Following

Classic Account Holder
    Help the CAG!!
    Make a contribution
    Huff&Puff Informative Huff&Puff Informative Huff&Puff Informative Huff&Puff's Avatar

Cagger since
    Nov 2008
    I am in
    Lundun Tahn

I agree with Lilly, you really have nothing to lose by defending, you won't end up any worse off even if you lose.

Basic Account Holder workaholic duck Novitiate

Cagger since
    May 2009

Just read through your thread and can't see any reply re default notice? Have you had one? Also, an assignment? Does it refer to these docs in the court claim? If so, you need to see them.
    I'm going through a similar case. I sent a CPR request to the solicitors who came back with ...'don't have in their possession, are in process of retrieving...etc'. Then go on to give me extra time...etc!!! Do NOT fall for this. They try to get a CCJ by default.

Please try to find the strength to defend yourself. You've nothing to lose. Ask to see all docs they refer to now and file an embarrassed defence in the meantime. Online is very straightforward. Then it's up to them to prove they have a legitimate claim.
    Good luck!

Royalties Account Holder
    Help the CAG!!
    Download our toolbar
    Bazooka Boo Authoritative Bazooka Boo Authoritative Bazooka Boo Authoritative Bazooka Boo Authoritative Bazooka Boo Authoritative Bazooka Boo Authoritative Bazooka Boo Authoritative Bazooka Boo Authoritative Bazooka Boo Authoritative Bazooka Boo Authoritative Bazooka Boo Authoritative Bazooka Boo's Avatar

Cagger since
    Feb 2008
    I am in
    Southsea
    Blog Entries

Yes, it might be wise to send them a CPR request, I understand that you admit you owe this money but I would still defend, as you really have nothing to lose, I owe circa 55K and even though I do know I owe that money, I will defend myself at every turn.

If you need expert help quickly, then you can always click on the Red triangle to get the site teams attention and help.

Worrying is like a rocking chair, it gives you something to do but gets you nowhere!
    How to use Photobucket by Huggie41.
    HOW DO I START A NEW THREAD?

Follows
    Following

Classic Account Holder
    Help the CAG!!
    Make a contribution
    hammyhound Novitiate hammyhound's Avatar

Cagger since
    Oct 2008

I used to admit the debt before I found this forum and now I defend because in the end if you do lose you can only pay what you can afford.

Who are the claimants - have CL Finance or Link bought the debt.

Both hopeless

and if it is CL Finance it will be Howard Cohen - even better.

Cagger since
    Oct 2009

Quote Originally Posted by hammyhound View Post
    I used to admit the debt before I found this forum and now I defend because in the end if you do lose you can only pay what you can afford.

Who are the claimants - have CL Finance or Link bought the debt.

Both hopeless

and if it is CL Finance it will be Howard Cohen - even better.
    The claimants are CL Finance and it is Howard Cohen. Have you had dealings with them?

Classic Account Holder
    Help the CAG!!
    Make a contribution
    hammyhound Novitiate hammyhound's Avatar

Cagger since
    Oct 2008

Oh yes and countless others, they are hopeless. They will hope that you don't defend and get judgment. They are like rabbits in a headlight when you do. Our case was struck out when they failed to provide the hearing fee - they are well and truly skint - CL Finance are owned by Cattles.

They asked for mediation and still didn't produce the documents. Matter went back to court and now it has been struck out and CL Finance to pay our costs.

Have they provided anything yet.

HH

Basic Account Holder MONTY Novitiate

Cagger since
    Feb 2006

Hi

I have just received a claim formicon submitted by Howard Cohen & Co to Northampton CC in relation to by Deenhams store card.

I have been down the route of requesting a copy of the original CCA. All that has been provided is a copy of an application form which I signed in 1998 (I will scan this in later and post here). A default notice has been issued and looks to have all the required information (again I will scan and post here).

Because the could not produce a properly executed agreement, or at least are claimimg that a copy of the application form is a properly executed agreement, I wrote to Santandericon (Copy to Viking) giving them formal notice that the account is in disputeicon.

It appears that Santander and/or Viking (it was never very clear as they were both writing to me at the same time) have now assigned the debt to Cohn & Co who in turn have issued a claim through the courts.

My first reaction is to submit a N244icon Application and have the case transferred to my local county courticon. At the same time I want to submit a defence - this is where I need some help.

Can anyone share with me the wording I can use on the Defence and Counterclaim form? Do I offer a defence even though I acknowledge the debt or do I just submit a counterclaim because they can not produce a properly executed agreement?

Cagger since
    Feb 2006

Here is the Application form that Santandericon claim is a properly executed agreement and a copy of the DN.

Please could someone helpme put together my defence/counterclaim? I have no reservations about appearing in court - they can not have what I have not got and actually if they have been acting inappropriately I want a judge to note the same.

Attached Images

Classic Account Holder
    Help the CAG!!
    Make a contribution
    Huff&Puff Informative Huff&Puff Informative Huff&Puff Informative Huff&Puff's Avatar

Cagger since
    Nov 2008
    I am in
    Lundun Tahn

You need to start your own thread Monty, especially over something as important as a court claim. In the Legal section would be best.

Cagger since
    Feb 2006

Quote Originally Posted by Huff&Puff View Post
    You need to start your own thread Monty, especially over something as important as a court claim. In the Legal section would be best.
    Sorry for gate crashing!!!! I have started my own thread in legal as advised

Thnak you

Cagger since
    Oct 2009

It's been a while now and I have not heard anything from Howard and Cowen the last letter they did send to me said that one of the options were that they would try to petition for my bankruptcy. Which scares my alot and I was wondering if that happens, will I lose my car? it's a vauxhall astra 2003 I bought it for 1,700 but I think it's worth more.
    Will it be taken of me. It's just I do need it as I'm dissabled and it has dissabled tax. If it's taken from me I won't be able to use public transport because I need assistance to do so and taxi is to expensive. I would try selling it and getting something cheeper but this was all I could afford in the first place if I sell my car and get a cheaper car if thats even possible then it will end up costing me more in the long run on parts and repairs. Please help. Worried.

Follows
    Following

Basic Account Holder paul01609 Novitiate

Cagger since
    Sep 2009

i would very doubt they would take a disabled persons car

Cagger since
    Oct 2009

I've learned that the official Reciever will take any car valued over 1,000 to sell and give 500 to be shared among creditors and 500 to you to buy another car. Dissabled or not.

If someone could give me a yes or no then that would be great. I could do something about it before it' to late. As if I loose my car I will be housebound. My car is not a luxury it's a necessity for my independence and motability. Yes it is a big car and that's because I need to fit my wheelchair in the back and the extra space in the drivers seat for comfort for my dissability. I have nothing against small cars my first car was a fit cinq. lol.

I could sell the car I have now and buy someting smaller and cheaper.

I think the Parkers guide is valuing my car for more than it's worth. I only paid 1,800 and they value it privately in good condition at 2,000. I should be so lucky to get that if I sold it. It would be lucky if I even got 1,300 for it.

2003/03 Vauxhall Astra Hatchback 1.6i Club 5d Valuation - Parker's

Viewing CAG on a small screen? Switch to the mobile version of the site

Reclaim the Right Ltd. - reg.05783665 in the UK reg. office:- 923 Finchley Road London NW11 7PE