• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 160 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

HFO Services Ltd v Wife

rippedoff15
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3873 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi All,

I have been checking my wife credit file today and HFO Services Ltd is listed, my wife had a M&S card in 1999 but since around 2003 the account was sodl to debt collection copmanys and we have never had any letters or demands, after looking at the credit file HFO servce now own the debt but again we have had no letters or statements, some time ago when the account was with M&S we asked for the signed agreement but nothing was sent and few weeks lating the debt was sold.

We are still not paying the account and the balance was £2k but now stands wth HFO at £3554 ???? charges , however should we write to HFO Service demending the signed agreement or wait as the debt may become barred after 6 years. or by writing will we be opening a can of worms !!!!!!!!!!

cheers :mad:

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi, we have been trying to check when the last payment was made but finding it confirm the date, the wife has not records have tried checking bank accounts but looking for needle in hay stack.

cheers

• 1 year later...

Today we have had a letter from HFO Services requested full payment with 14 days or face court action and the sale of goods, the amount is around £4600.00 , the debt was from M&S credit card which was last paid in 2006 we have never been chased by anyone until today we have checked my wifes credit file which states the debt is HFO ???? we can not pay as i have been laid off work and currently on benefit ( sadly ) and the wife orks 16 hours.

Can anyone help as the debt was £3000.00 back in 2006 and how can M&S sell a debt then the new company never chase until now increase the amount, can we do anything

any feedback would be great

cheers

Hi and welcome to HFO CAG

Can you give a bit more details about the actual letters etc you have received from HFO and if possible scan them with personal info removed? Is this the only letter you have received and was there anything from M and S regarding sale of the debt?

Please don't worry, help at hand

Please support CAG and they will support you.

donate

HFO will swear blind they told you it had been assigned in 2008, probably July. They can only claim interest from the date of assignment – which in this case is the date they inform you.

Did you officially put the account into dispute with M&S?

And did M&S ever send a default notice?

Need a bit more detailed explanation here - I understand that you realised in 2009 that HFO had bought this but they have only just started chasing you now, which is par for the course.

Have they sent you a 'Schedule of Litigation' letter?

donate

You posted this on the other thread in 2009 or was that another issue?

Hi All,

I have been checking my wife credit filelink3.gif today and HFO Services Ltd is listed, my wife had a M&S card in 1999 but since around 2003 the account was sodl to debt collection copmanys and we have never had any letters or demands, after looking at the credit file HFO servce now own the debt but again we have had no letters or statements, some time ago when the account was with M&S we asked for the signed agreement but nothing was sent and few weeks lating the debt was sold.

We are still not paying the account and the balance was £2k but now stands wth HFO at £3554 ???? charges , however should we write to HFO Service demending the signed agreement or wait as the debt may become barred after 6 yearslink3.gif. or by writing will we be opening a can of worms !!!!!!!!!!

cheers :mad:

US President Barack Obama referred to Ugland House as the biggest building in the world or the biggest tax SCA* in the world.

Can you tell us exactly what you have received from HFO so we can advise what to send? I would suggest a CCA request to HFO and a SAR to M&S but you need to divulge the actual correspondence as you can also make some official complaints.

donate

It is the same issue from 2009, when checking the report back in 2009 HFO claimed the debt however M&S never informed ourselfs they solf the debt and this is the first letter from HFO, i will scan the letter so you all can see its content.

the letter states the following :

I have attemped to contact several time ( not ) with the offer that HFO has for you in conection with your account, the current balance is £4,941.60 .

We are currently in the process of reviewing your accountand preparing an in depth information dossider on your current financial situaton, if you fail to get in touch this dossier shall be forwarded to our solicitors with instructions to sue in order to recover the debt.

You have made payments in the past and it is unlikely that you will be able to raise a credible defence to legal action. A County Court judgement will affect your credit rating and make it more difficult for you to borrow mone. Once we obtain the judgment HFO will seek to enforce the judgement by applying to the court for a warrent of execution. COUNTY COURT BAILIFFS WILL VISIT OUR HOME ADDRESS and seize goods and sold to repay the debt.

Additionaally HFO will ask its solicitors who will commence legal action with a view to enforcing judgement against you or obtaining an ATTACHMENT OF EARNINGS againts your employment.

HFO may also instruct its solicitors to secure an order to obtain information against you, which means that the court shall ask you to produce a record of your financial activity for the last 3 years. if it is found that your financail declaration is better tah we represented, the court will consider taking a sterner action against you.

you can avoid escalation of ths matter by calling me on 02030249614 on with 7 days

Your Faithfully

what action should we do now, so far this letter is the only one we have ever had also attached to the letter was a report from the credit company showing all my wifes details such as current address past address etc etc . Can they just send our such information as it must be breaking the data act

we have never had a 'Letter of Assignment'

cheers

Edited by rippedoff15
extra information

Yes - that is a standard threat letter - I presume that there were no pieces of personal info attached (credit reports, details of your home etc) You can either ignore this completely for now or send a CCA request to put the account in dispute and try and force the issue. A SAR to M&S is another possibility.

donate

yes the letter they attached had full personal details ie stating address past and present, including husband name and details even a full list of all our creditors showing totals outstanding and all creditors settled etc etc all in colour pages. the information was experian ( e series e-consumerview ) they must be breaking the law sending details out

They attached a full copy of the credit report from Experian showing address past present, all current and past credtors showing totals outstanding, and at the bottom of each page is the date and time the report was printed.

You must complaint to Experian about the use of your credit report - link to thread below also links to useful letters but you could actually ignore for now and see what they do next. I can also send you some details for a complaint to OFT.

Receipt of e-consumerview report complaints

Link to a CAG thread on experian and complaining, there is a sample letter in there

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk...ment&highlight=

SAR Request to M&S

Subject access request letter attached to send with £10 postal order - send recorded delivery and sign over the dotted area at the bottom. They have 40 days to reply. They have 40 days to reply. Adapt the last paragraph to give any previous addresses that the OC may have and attach a copy of a utility bill or they will write back and ask for one.

CCA Request

CCA letter to send to HFO with a £1 postal order by recorded delivery, do not sign. They have 12 plus 2 working days to reply. If nothing valid is received you can send a letter to put the account in dispute and this should stop them contacting you.

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/content.php?414-CCA-request-letter

Account in Dispute letter

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/content.php?436-Failure-to-provide-a-copy-of-the-agreement-within-the-prescribed-timescale

General SAR template.doc

donate