Missold Income Protection and Critical Illness Policy with Scottish Provident

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4430 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

I wanted to just ask if anyone knows how to pursue a missold claim for income protection and critical illness. This is not PPI, it was an assurance policy that was sold to me back in 2003 by a broker, who told me I needed to have this policy in place in order to get a mortgage. However it was not actually linked to the mortgage, hence it is not a PPI policy.

My issue with it, is that the income protection was missold, since I was self employed then (and still am) and I would not have been able to claim on it if I was out of work. I paid into it for 4 years in the stupid belief that it would protect me if I was out of work for more than 8 weeks.

Do I have any basis to get any refund on the payments I made to this assurance plan? Also as a note, the broker who sold it to me set up without my knowledge a home insurance policy, on a property I never set foot in!! They clearly wanted some extra commission. I only realised 6 months later, when I noticed a direct debit that I did not recognise.

Thanks

Alex

Hi blondbombshell:)

I'm afraid I can't answer your question but this will bump your post back to the top of the pile.

I would like to know the answer myself as my husband and I were also sold a similar product from Scottish Widows (LTSB) when I was a homemaker with no paid employment. In my case this was Critical Illness and Business Cover which appears to have been sold as a PPI substitute by LTSB. Neither my husband nor I had a business so not sure what the purpose of the 'Business Cover' was exactly.

Unfortunately we were also talked into this by our bank and being rather naive at the time we fell for their sales pitch which was pretty aggressive:(

We haven't done anything about this yet (it was cancelled back in 2007) but your post reminded me it's something that maybe I should be looking into.

Hope you get an answer soon!

Regards,

Landy x

LTSB PPI on various loans (current/settled) - Refunded inc 8%

MBNA 1 Charges - Refunded inc CI

MBNA 1 PPI - Refunded

MBNA 2 Charges - Refunded inc 8%

MBNA 2 PPI - Refunded

MBNA 2 Accident Ins - Refunded

Swift Advances (settled) Mortgage Charges -Partially refunded

Swift Advances (settled) Mortgage PPI - Refunded inc CI & 8%

Sainsburys (settled) Loan PPI - Refunded inc CI +8%

Sainsburys (closed) Card Charges - Refunded inc CI + 8%

M&S Money (closed) Card Charges - Refunded inc CI

M&S Money (closed) Card PPI - Refunded inc 8%

Direct Line (settled) Loan PPI - Refunded inc CI + 8%

Debenhams Card (closed) PPI - Refunded inc 8%

Swift Mortgage Charges -Refunded

Hitachi Finance (closed) Charges - Refunded

Hi,If it is any help i was also mis-sold an Income Protection Policy in 2003 supposedly by Nat West.It turned out it wasn't actually NatWest but a third party who were unregulated by the insurance ombudsman in place at the time.

The biggest problem i found was finding out who actually sold the policy because NatWest were bloody unhelpful.

Once i found out who sold the policy,i complained to them and they paid out, but only a part of my claim.Had no choice but to accept the settlement due to the unregulated state of the business concerned(i.e.I wouldn't have been able to go to the FOS).

I basically approached the complaint along the lines of a PPI complaint and worded it only the lines of being mis-sold the cover when i already had adequate cover in place.As the company that sold the IPP did not have a recording of the telephone sales call(A big NO-NO apparently) my complaint was upheld.

Hope this has helped in telling you it can be done!

• 1 month later...

BUMP... I've also been mis-sold to by Scottish Widows and looking to start my complaint - just wondered whether there were any answers to this thread?

Pudst

x x x x

• 11 months later...

HI,

I purchased a Mortgage & Business cover plan with Critical ilness from Lloyds TSB (Scottish Widows policy) and due to an accident that left me Disabled (Mobility) I contacted SW to make a claim.

After several phone calls I finally recieved the claim form which was completed and returned.

Several months later SW informed me that they had Voided the policy for Non-Disclosure, I appealed there disision through the FOS and they were told to re-instate the policy as they had read a date in my GP records incorrectly. So again SW revued my claim, but Surprise Surprise they rejected my claim again saying I did not meet the Definitions of the policy.

At the moment I am still looking at what my next move should be, but I have been looking into these types of policies and what I found at first surprised me but after what has gone on in the major Finantial Institutions recently I should not have been.

Millions of these policies have been sold over the years even though the Insurance Industry as a whole have known that these types of policies are FLAWED & contain FLUFFY & CONFUSING DEFINITIONS and that the vast marjority of Financial Advisors do not understand these policies themselves what chance do we have.

• 1 year later...

Hi,

This is also of interest to me (I've just googled for mis-selling of Income Protection, and up this came!) I was sold both Income Protection AND Critical Illness by a business banking manager at lloyds WITH ppi on a loan to ensure that I qualified for the loan back in 2000. At that time I was a freelance designer and would go from a week working 60hrs, to weeks without work and my working hours were all over the place. They would never have paid out if I'd claimed.

I'm off work today following up on my SAR request for my PPI claim, and I've been trying to get copies of the plan conditions for these 2 protection plans. I've just spoken to a very friendly guy at Scott Wid, who couldn't find any details for me and suggested I write in to request. Frustrating. He did ask me if it related to a PPI claim, as they didn't pay out for Income Protection! It's like banging your head against a brick wall this process.