Single-occupancy discount

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5281 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

The Council Tax single-occupancy discount form has the following information on it.

Guidance notes

No other person who is over 18 must be living in the property with you as their only or main home.

Declaration

and that I do not have a husband, wife or partner who lives at this property at any time.

Apart from the two above quotations seemingly being incompatible with each other (only or main home & at any time), I have a few questions about when a person would be entitled to a single-occupancy discount.

1. If person 1 lives at address 1 100% of the time. Person 2 lives at address 1 50% of the time and at address 2 for 50% of the time, is person 1 entitled to the discount?
  2. If person 1 lives at address 1 100% of the time. Person 2 lives at address 1 25% of the time and at address 2 for 75% of the time, is person 1 entitled to the discount?
  3. If person 1 lives at address 1 100% of the time. Person 2 lives at address 1 75% of the time and at address 2 for 25% of the time, is person 1 entitled to the discount?

Assume address 2 is in different council area.

Similarly, to which council is person 2 liable to pay council tax in the 3 scenarios above?

The REAL Axis of evil: Banks, Credit Card Companies & Credit Reference Agencies.

• 3 weeks later...

too confusing for me :confused:

will ask for someone to seeif they know

ida x

Please contact a member of the site team if you are offered help off the forum for a a paid or no win no fee service.

Please consider making a small donation to help keep this site running

Click here to donate through PayPal (opens in a new window)

Thanks.

I thought it might be a bit confusing. I have some info from the council now that I will scan and post up later.

The REAL Axis of evil: Banks, Credit Card Companies & Credit Reference Agencies.

Declaration

and that I do not have a husband, wife or partner who lives at this property at any time.

I assume this to mean a husband, wife or partner who for example is in the armed forces or whom otherwise spends much of their time away from the home, but that they still contribute to the total household income, and are still a husband/wife/civil partner/partner of the main resident.

A partner, at least for benefits purposes has their income taken into account when considering entitlement, and if their work/circumstances takes them away from the home but they are still a partner of the main claimant, and still contribute to the household income, they form a part of the claim. So a partner may not live there all of the time or any of the time due to work/circumstances but is still a partner and is still taken into consideration.

Whereas a person over the age of 18 whom is not a partner, and who does not use the residence as their main or only home does not form a part of the claim.

My advice is based on my opinion, my experience and my education. I do not profess to be an expert in any given field. If requested, I will provide a link where possible to relevant legislation or guidance, so that advice provided can be confirmed and I do encourage others to follow those links for their own peace of mind. Sometimes my advice is not what people necesserily want to hear, but I will advise on facts as I know them - although it may not be what a person wants to hear it helps to know where you stand. Advice on the internet should never be a substitute for advice from your own legal professional with full knowledge of your individual case.

Please do not seek, offer or produce advice on a consumer issue via private message; it is against

forum rules to advise via private message, therefore pm's requesting private advice will not receive a response.

(exceptions for prior authorisation)

For points 1, 2 and 3 it comes down to 'sole or main residence'.

Even if a person spend 50% of the time in the property, if was their 'sole or main' residence they they would be regarded as living at the property.

A person could be mainly resident at property A in 1 authority but not be liable for council tax at that property yet still have a council tax liability with Council B.

Its difficult to generalise, you need specific details as each case if different.