Council Tax, Joint Liability

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5280 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi

I used to live in a flat with 3 other tenants, all bills were seperated 4 ways. We changed one of the tenants as the girl in question was a bit of a nightmare housemate. We didn't always keep track of all the bills and paid them as and when we received them.

Our Council Tax account changed number, without us being informed or notified, just a new number on the page we didn't see at the time.

We received an letter from a company acting on behalf of the council, around a year later advising that several hundred pounds was owing. We investigated and at that time realised that the number had changed and it was outstanding. We all discussed and agreed to pay the amount outstanding, each paying a quarter of the bill. We had incurred an additional charge from the company visiting our house, when the bill was delivered.

We then received nothing again for another year until we all went to move house. The bill stated that one of the payments hadn't been received and an additional charge had again been added.

We have given phone numbers and an address to the council and attempted to get the girl in question to pay in every way possible. They have said that they have conducted an exhaustive search for her, which I find particularly irritating as they have never contacted us other than letters notifying of an additional charge or threats.

The council have said they will submit a liability order, but how did they send bailiffs in the first place if they don't have one. If they did get one, surely I should have been notified of it. Is there a way of finding whether they applied for a liability order and if so, why we were not told about this.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated, we are now going to pay the outstanding balance and pursue the girl in question through money claim (small claims online), but I would like to know if anyone has any suggestions or advice. We have agreed to pay the amount outstanding in 2 payments on 1st Oct and 1st Nov, though we hope to get her to pay it before then however unlikely.

Edited by Ridgeroo
Update

• 4 weeks later...

sorr this has went unanswered

i beleive that they would need a liability order before sending balliffs in

maybe have a read here or post your question here

Bailiffs and Sheriff Officers - The Consumer Forums

Please contact a member of the site team if you are offered help off the forum for a a paid or no win no fee service.

Please consider making a small donation to help keep this site running

Click here to donate through PayPal (opens in a new window)