Buildings Insurance

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5321 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi I hope someone can help me with a few queries re my claim.

I had a leak from my shower which came through kitchen ceiling, we employed Dino Rod to repair leak. Their plumber said leak had been dripping for some time, tiles in shower area came off wall in his hand! Kitchen ceiling needs replacing and tiles on part of kitchen wall also need replacing. (They were also loose)

Two kitchen units are warped and one side of kitchen worktops has to be replaced.

Now insurance company has come up with the usual, they will only replace parts which are damaged, this is in my policy so I understand where they are coming from.

They have offered to renew damaged units and work top plus pay 50% to replace all cupboard doors to match the ones they are replacing and 50% to cost of undamaged worktop to match the one they are replacing.

They will only pay for tiles which are damaged.

We cannot match up tiles in either room so this means we have to find cost to retile other walls.

Kitchen fitters we have asked to give quotes have all said it is not viable to refit sink etc. and they thought the idea of just replacing doors was not a very good one. Existing plinths and cornices will not match, plus open end shelving units will be odd.

The insurance company surveyor was worse than useless, his advice was to go for a completely different unit so it looks like we meant it to look different! He also didn't see what was wrong in having different worktops.

I'm not saying I have the best kitchen in the world but it is certainly decent and although it wasn't top of the range when bought neither was it the cheapest.

I have submitted 2 qoutes for the kitchen, one B& Q and one a local firm,

The insurance company say both these are far to high.

I am really upset and can see the kitchen is going to end up a mis -matched mess. We are going to have to find money to put to repairs which at present we cannot afford - I'm beginning to wonder why I'm insured?

Hi, can anybody advised if I have any argument with insurance company regarding their level of liability. I understand that there is a clause in policy re only replacing what is damaged but surely a fitted kitchen or tiled wall is different?

Hi, can anybody advised if I have any argument with insurance company regarding their level of liability. I understand that there is a clause in policy re only replacing what is damaged but surely a fitted kitchen or tiled wall is different?

I'm afraid to say the "Pairs, Sets and Suites" clause does also apply to fitted kitchens and wall tiles. The clause applies to any item of a uniform nature, design or colour.

Rather than getting your own quotes for the kitchen, it's probably best to let your buildings insurers deal with that, especially as they've already rejected 2 of your quotes. They will probably have special deals with approved contractors.

• 2 weeks later...

This is turning into a nightmare. Insurance company sent their contractor today. He said whole ceiling will have to come down which will bring off wall tiles, plus ceiling cannot be removed without removing all wall cupboards first, he said we have not got a prayer of matching up damaged cupboards with undamaged ones. Who pays for all wall cupboards to be removed and put back?