Break-clause confusion with commercial lease

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5312 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I'd be very grateful if someone could take a look at these two pages from a commercial lease. I want to exit the property and was under the impression from the solicitor that I had 18-month break clauses. However, he has just informed me that the earliest I can exit is July 2010. According to his cover letter (attached to the lease) he states that I am free to leave at end of each 18-month period. I'm very confused. Where would I stand legally if I wanted to get out? I doubt I can afford the rent from Jan - July, so last resort is voluntary bankruptcy.

Pollard letter 1.jpg

Lease page 14.jpg

Difficult to be sure w/o the covering letter and as you've only posted part of the break clause but the break dates are 31 July 2008, 2010 and 2012 provided you comply with the preconditions, the main one being the giving of the requisite notice. You clearly can't now give notice in advance of 31 July 2008 so the next opportunity to determine by using that clause is July '10.

What is the overall term of the lease?

Ok I've blacked out the personal info parts of the Lease Cover Letter. It was verbally explained to me by the lawyer that the contract had 18 month break clauses and the letter implied this. Only now did the owner tell me that the 18 month break clause mentioned in the below letter was applicable only for the FIRST period of 18 months after the contract was signed - certainly not mentioned in the lease itself. Any references to the break clause were only present on the two attached pages. I've love to know if I have a case to exit the property as per the term within the cover letter below.

http://i734.photobucket.com/albums/ww344/CarlBkk/Pollardletter1-1.jpg

In all likelihood, no. But the clause in the lease is clear so did you not read the lease before signing it? Generally you are taken to have understood documents that you sign. The cover letter also advises you to read and advise if there are any errors.

There is a slim possibility of a claim for rectification if you can show the break clause is a mistake and is not what was agreed. Not an easy claim at the best of times and you would need a solicitor to advise having seen all the papers.

I very much doubt that you could show the landlord's solicitors owed you any duties so probably no claim against them.

Did they misrepresent the terms? Possibly but again it comes back to you reading the actual lease before signing it.

Sorry but I think you're on a hiding to nothing.