Marc Gander - The Consumer Survival Handbook

A 220 page introduction to all things consumer related by our own BankFodder.

Includes energy companies, mobile phone providers, retailers, banks, insurance companies,debt collection agencies, reclaim companies, secondhand car sellers, cowboy garages, cowboy builders and all the rest who put their own profits before you.

£6.99

Patricia Pearl - Small Claims Procedure - A Practical Guide

An excellent guide for the layperson in how to use the County Court - a must if you are intending to start a claim.

£19.99 + £1.50 (P&P)

+ Reply to Thread
    Site Team The Consumer Action Group BankFodder has disabled reputation BankFodder's Avatar

Follow Real_CAG on Twitter
    Cagger since : Jan 2006

Blog Entries

Default The modern 'make do and mend'

From "staycations" to knitting clubs, frugal living is increasingly in vogue as families look to cut costs during the economic downturn.
    Supermarkets expand their budget lines and two-for-one deals, while magazines offer tips and sewing templatesicon to help people make clothes at home.
    Now, 70 years after the outbreak of World War II, High Street department chain John Lewis is getting in on the act - by turning the clock back to the days of the Blitz.
    It is publishing what it calls a "modern reworking" of the famous 1943 government booklet on making the most of minimal resources - Make Do And Mend.

Full story:-

BBC NEWS | Business | The modern 'make do and mend'

Warning: I use dictation software. Beware of homophones!
    Have you read our dealing with customer services guide?
    Please don't pm me about specific questions unless you have posted and it has not been dealt with or unless the matter is confidential.

All attribution rights and moral rights in my copyright work are asserted
    Advice & opinions of BankFodder, The Consumer Action Group and The Bank Action Group are offered informally & without liability. Use your own judgment. Seek advice of a qualified insured professional if you have any doubts.
    Follows
    Following

Basic Account Holder Bubbles366 Novitiate

Cagger since : Jun 2006

Default Re: The modern 'make do and mend'

Excellent tips

Basic Account Holder lady-in-red Novitiate

Cagger since : Jul 2010

when veg is cheap buy it cook it then freeze, this will save you a lot of money

Basic Account Holder No_Money_Babe Novitiate No_Money_Babe's Avatar

Cagger since : Feb 2010

Quote Originally Posted by glitterlady View Post
    when veg is cheap buy it cook it then freeze, this will save you a lot of money
    Hi

I've started to do just that. Really handy for vegetables like celery-some recipes need just one stalk-and leeks which aren't always available.8)

if you want some curtains to match your duvet but they are expensive then buy another duvet set and make them out of that you can often get buy one get one free, and as long as they are the same sets you have a pair of curtains that havent cost you the earth

Classic Account Holder
    Help the CAG!!
    Make a contribution
    hightail Highly informative hightail Highly informative hightail Highly informative hightail Highly informative hightail Highly informative hightail Highly informative hightail Highly informative

Cagger since : Oct 2008

Watch out for opportunist pricing if you are considering a major purchase online. Prices go down from Monday to Wednesday and are raised from Thursday through the weekend because that's when most people buy. This is particularly noticeable with electrical goods on Amazonicon but can happen with any online retailer.

Thankyou Hightail, i was wondering that been watching for a while at prices thought it was me wishing again they do actually put down things during the week then up them at the weekend, ive seen it with food as well but thanks again will now watch it and buy

Classic Account Holder
    Help the CAG!!
    Make a contribution
    hightail Highly informative hightail Highly informative hightail Highly informative hightail Highly informative hightail Highly informative hightail Highly informative hightail Highly informative

Cagger since : Oct 2008

My O/H had been looking to buy a new TV. Went up in price by 50 late last Thursday night and was back down in price by Monday lunchtime. It really does happen as people buy at a weekend or want stuff delivered at the weekend. Do your research over the weekend if you must but look to buy on a Tuesday

thanks again hightail i will be watching very closely now its wrong isnt it to do that dont you think?

Basic Account Holder Bobcat2 Novitiate Bobcat2's Avatar

Cagger since : Feb 2012

If Your CURTAINS Are GETTING HARD TO OPEN/CLOSE THEN SPARY SOME FURNITURE POLISH ON THE CURTAIN RAIL AND THEY SHOULD THEN BE A LOT Easier TO OPEN/CLOSE. OOPS sorry for caps keep catching the caps lock, another tip,put foil behind your raditors to help keep the heat in

Basic Account Holder Yukiko Novitiate

Cagger since : Jul 2012

Home servicing of your car;

Elongates the vehicles life
    Saves the 100 that it costs at the dealer/garage
    Reduces fuel consumption
    Gives you something really cool for your kid to help you with

Parts cost 20 ish - 80% saving, and it only takes 20 minutes to do.

Basic Account Holder Classic-car-lover Novitiate

Cagger since : Feb 2013

I use my teabags twice, and the 'basics' ones in the supermarket at that, and they cost 28p for 80 bags. Thats 160 cups of tea. They taste no different to expensive bags . Its only got one ingredient!

Reclaim the Right Ltd. - reg.05783665 in the UK reg. office:- 923 Finchley Road London NW11 7PE
We use cookies to personalise content and ads and to provide social media features. We also share information about your use of our site with our advertising and analytics partners. See details