Is Direct Debit my only option?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5348 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Direct Debits for council tax

I have for the last year and part of this year paid my council tax over the internet always by the 15th of each month. With the exception of two months this year when I paid it on the 20th and the 22nd. The council issued a summons and would only withdraw it and costs if I agreed to pay by direct debit. So I had no choice but to agree as they did not respond to my emails until 7 days before the court date.

They offered to start the D/D from the coming month meaning they where willing to take the remaining payments a month after they where due thus given me an extra month. However I did not want do that, so made an internet payment on the 15th for that month. All my emails have stated that I am not intending not to pay each month but don’t want to pay by D/D and would prefer to pay by the internet by the 15th of each month at the latest.

The response I keep getting is that the only way to pay after the 1st of the month is by D/D and that it is so the council comply with the finance act and its amendments. I cannot believe that this is the case, as most council’s have many methods of payment available after the 1st and it makes no difference to them if I pay by internet or D/D. It seams to me that they are just bullying me into using D/D which I object to most strongly.

Has anyone any advice that may be helpful as I do not believe there interpretation of the acts is correct. Or are all the other councils not complying with the act by not insisting on D/D payments made after the 1st of each month.