Charge for late payment of council tax levied by Debt Collector.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5357 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

Wasn't sure if I should post this under council tax or debt collectors so apologies if you think I've posted in the wrong place.

I live in Scotland, so bear that in mind when replying.

I was late paying my council tax, several months in a row. The council sends a warning letter or two, then simply hands the debt over to a collector, Scott and Co, Sheriff Officers and Messengers at Arms. Their letter stated that I owed the council £1248, and an additional charge of £124.80, presumably for the debt collection cost, it does not actually say what it is for.

I immediately payed the outstanding council tax, £1248 direct to the council and not to the debt collector, and chose to ignore the extra charge for the time being.

Now I have another letter from Scott and Co demanding the balance due, £124.80, and saying that they have been instructed to execute a charge for payment and funds arrestment, which will result in my bank accounts being frozen until the debt is cleared.

My question is, do I have to pay this £124.80? It sounds like an arbitrary fine that the debt collector has made up and is attempting to threaten me into paying. I don't think this charge has been in any way sanctioned by a court. Nor do I think the fine stems from any contractual or legal agreement between myself and the council. I also think £124.80 is a lot of money to charge for sending out a letter.

Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Rupert

Rupert

The £124.80 is the statutory surcharge that is added to your Council Tax debt when it is not paid on time. To get this the Local Authority presents a petition with your (and many other) Council Tax account details to the local Sheriff. He/she signs it granting the warrant and at this point 10% is added to the debt. The Council may try and make an arrangement with the account holder at this point and keep the extra 10%. If this is unsuccessful the debt will then be passed to a debt collection agency that also has a Sheriff Officer division.

If Scott & Co do execute a charge for payment this will crank your debt up even more and the action on the back of the charge, wage/bank arrestment, will further add to your costs.