Here we go again.....claim against me - accident

merlin100
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5352 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Last year I got a letter from some car insurance firm (cant remember who it was) saying their client had lodged a claim against me.

Ive never had any type for car accident, it took a while (mainly because refused to fill any blanks in by giving any personal details) but finally got rid of them.

Now Ive got one from Churchill saying that their client, a Mrs J ****, has lodged a claim against me and from the information presented to them, it looks like Im responsible.

They also "assume" that I have adequate insurance and would like my details ( I thought they were all linked nowadays and could access information instantly between themselves).

They remind me of my obligations under Section 154 of the Road Traffic Act.

I get sick of companies like this getting things wrong and people like me having to sort their mess out before any claim escalates to a more serious level.

So is there anything else I can do, ie claim charges for loss of time etc? I know it will be negligable, but if someone sets this ball rolling and many other "victims" start doing the same - maybe these incompetents will think twice in future knowing that it may cost them.

Thanks all.

so 2 different insurance companies for the same alleged claim?

have they gave you details of the claim ?

ida x

Please contact a member of the site team if you are offered help off the forum for a a paid or no win no fee service.

Please consider making a small donation to help keep this site running

Click here to donate through PayPal (opens in a new window)

Hi Ida - no, two different sets of circumstances here.

Cant remember what the last claim was all about - I didnt bother to find out too much info on it. A simple threat and denial of responsibility was enough.

But now theres Churchill with a totally different claim from (they say) their insured.

All I have for now is the name of the woman who is claiming against me - nothing else yet.

They also remind me of my obligations under Section 154 of the Road Traffic Act that basically says that by law I have to surrender details of my insurance to them - but it also says this is only in the event of an accident etc.

As no "accident" has occured, then they can go sing for any of my details. But I know if I dont go up against them, it will be much harder later on to sort out.

This is one of those situations where it falls on me to dispute and resolve this so my point in posting was can I make them itch a bit by claiming costs (small amount) for my time, letters to them etc? And hope that many others will follow suit should I be able to post a successful outcome?

Thanks.

Nonsense! You have to do no such thing!

I had this with Elephant - with a letter out the blue,. I refused to provide them with ant details whatsoever until I had been presented with all the facts concerning the matter. Since it was 2 months distant, I explained that it would be impossible for me to independeetly ascertain the damage claimed to be my responsibility. They responded by saying my lack of cooperation your result n my being taken to court, and my details passed to the 'Insurance hunder' database.

I replied saying it did not give my permission for ANY of my details to be stored on IH, as I as not Elephant's customer, and they'd be in breach of the DPA. They replied stating they could and they would.

I got onto the ICO anf - cutting a long story short - Elephant were called to meeting explaining that they could NOT randomly upload personal adata of anyone who had not agreed to it.

Never heard from them again!

Interesting way to go busby - thanks.

I might play this along for a while just to see if this may be a [problem] by some dodgy member of the public, or maybe just sheer incompetence from Churchill.

They say this happened on Feb 27th 2009 - Ive already checked and I was at work ALL DAY - so lets see if I can find out time and place of this incident first (Monday). But they may try the "security question" trick, which as we all know, means they think they have the right to accuse me of anything they like but refuse to tell me what unless I give them all my personal details so they could possibly fill in any blanks in their allegation.

Not a chance!

Anyway, let you all know what happens on Monday.