• Tweets

• I'm not sure we were on standard tariffs - I've uploaded as many proofs as I can for the ombudsman - ovo called last night uping the compensation to 100 from 50 pounds for the slip in customer service however they won't acknowledge the the problem them not acknowledging a fault has caused nor are they willing to remedy anything as they won't accept the meter or formula was wrong.   I'd appreciate more details on the economy 7 approach and I'll update the ombudsman with any information you can share. 
    • To re-iterate and highlight my urgent question on this one: The N24 from the court did not include any instructions to submit paperwork 28 days before the date, unlike the N157 received for other smaller claims. Do I have to submit a WS for this court date? Link has!...
    • No, reading the guidance online it says to wait for a letter from the court. Should I wait or submit the directions? BTW, I assume that the directions are a longer version of the particular of claim accompanied by evidence, correct?
    • Thanks for opening, it's been another rough year for my family and I've procastinated a little.. Due to the age of my defaults on this and other accounts (circa 2021), I really need to avoid a CCJ as that will be another 6 years of credit issues. Mediation failed as I played the 'not enough info to make a decision' however during the call for some reason they did offer settlement at 80%, I refused. this has been allocated to small claims track, court date is June 3 and I've received their WS. I'm starting on my WS. They do appear to have provided everything required of them (even if docs could be reconstructions). Not really sure what my argument is anymore but I do want to attend court and see this through. Should a judgement be made against me then I will clear the balance within 30 days and have the CCJ removed - this is still possible isn't it? I'm going to be reading up today and tomorrow and hope you can provide me some guidance in the meantime. Wonder what your advice would be given the documents they have provided? I am now in a position to clear the debt either by lump sum or a few large installments - Is this something i should look into at this late stage? Thanks as always in advance
    • I have now received my SAR. It includes a great deal of information! Is there a time limit on how long account information is kept and/or can be provided to debtors? I have received many account statements which were not previously sent to me. I remember that the creditor should provide explanations of any acronyms and abbreviations that maybe used in the documents. Is this still the case? Also what, if any, are the regulations in regard to adding fees to a debt? Can fees be added to a debt after the court has approved a charge on a property. Perhaps due to the numerous owners of the debt, many payments I made were not properly recorded on the account, some were entered over a year after the payment was made! Following the Legal Charge, I paid every month until my payments were refused. I am trying to compute the over payments, but the addition of fees etc. is confusing me. Any comments and/or help would be appreciated.
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Help... 1 month and still no cheque from insurance company... Advice/feedback??

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5358 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello,

Long story short, In-law's house burnt down in a tragic fire. In-law's did not make it out alive. After dealing with our lawyer, insurance company, adjuster and broker a final dollar amount (payout) for the house and contents has been reached in writing and the broker has submitted this final agreement back to the insurance company. That was a month ago and still waiting for a cheque. It has been the last week and a half that we have been calling the broker for our status (our lawyer wants to know as well to close this file and get the remaining balance owed). The broker sounds sympethic and frustrated as we are but still not hearing back from the insurance company on when we will expect the cheque.

We're frustrated and not sure what to do from here and is there anything we can do. Is the broker giving us a song and dance routine to keep us quite or is he genuine with his concern that it's taking so long to get our cheque? Or is this normal for an insurance company to hold on to the money as long as possible?

Advice and past experience will be greatly appreciated.

Why is the broker dealing with it?

Why not phone the insurance company direct first thing tomorrow morning?

I've never had such a tradgedy happen to me but have had a household damage claim for several thousands and the insurance company were very efficient and kept in touch via a 'personal claim manager' and cheque arrived very promptly.

The loss adjuster was useless in my claim.Was only out to make sure that any work that had to be done was contracted to his 'mates' in the building and associated industry.Once I'd bypassed him the claim progressed at the speed of light.

Advice remains to phone the insurance company direct today.

In my case the insurance company were to say the least not best pleased with the conduct of the loss adjuster.

Well... My wife called the adjuster and talked to the receptionist who gave my wife the insurance person's name and direct phone number, we're not sure if the receptionist was suppose to do that but....

Long story short, the insurance person was not happy to hear from my wife directly and told here that he has been busy and that he'll call the adjuster in a day or two. He also told my wife that she should be talking and dealing with the adjuster and not him directly. My wife says he was basically an A-hole over the phone.

Now we're concern that the insurance person will now purposely delay things even further.

Anybody got some advice as to how to deal with this situation?

Well... My wife called the adjuster and talked to the receptionist who gave my wife the insurance person's name and direct phone number, we're not sure if the receptionist was suppose to do that but....

Long story short, the insurance person was not happy to hear from my wife directly and told here that he has been busy and that he'll call the adjuster in a day or two. He also told my wife that she should be talking and dealing with the adjuster and not him directly. My wife says he was basically an A-hole over the phone.

Now we're concern that the insurance person will now purposely delay things even further.

Anybody got some advice as to how to deal with this situation?

I'd be back on the phone to the insurance company [who are they?] and would speak with the highest ranking person that you could reach and repeating to them how shoddily you wife had been treated by that donut on the phone.

I would also be wanting to know why the claim was taking so long to deal with and were there any outstanding issues that the insurers had yet to resolve.

I would also stress that with all the tragedy involved you definitely do not want any additional grief from the insurance company.

I would need answers to everything before I got off the phone but would be mindful of keeping cool,calm and polite.[great effort required for that sometimes!]

I would also ask for a copy of their complaints procedure and make an official complaint.

^^^

Thanks for the support and response. Not sure if we're allowed to mention companies on this forum (at this time) but we'll wait 2 more days and if we don't get a satisfactory response for the delay or even better "the cheque is on it's way to your lawyer" we'll be left with no option but to speak to someone higher up on the ladder.

This is a C/P from their website:

"Code of Consumer Rights and Responsibilities

Insurance companies, along with the brokers and agents who sell home, auto and business insurance, are committed to safeguarding your rights when you shop for insurance and when you submit a claim following a loss. Your rights include the right to be informed fully, to be treated fairly, to timely complaint resolution, and to privacy. These rights are grounded in the contract between you and your insurer and the insurance laws of your province. With rights, however, come responsibilities including, for example, the expectation that you will provide complete and accurate information to your insurer. Your policy outlines other important responsibilities. Insurers and their distribution networks, and governments also have important roles to play in ensuring that your rights are protected.

Right to Be Informed

You can expect to access clear information about your policy, your coverage, and the claims settlement process. You have the right to an easy-to-understand explanation of how insurance works and how it will meet your needs. You also have a right to know how insurers calculate price based on relevant facts.

You have the right to ask who is providing compensation to your broker or agent for the sale of your insurance. Your broker or agent will provide information detailing for you how he or she is paid, by whom, and in what ways.

Insurance companies will disclose their compensation arrangements with their distribution networks. Brokers and agents are committed to providing information relating to ownership, financing, and other relevant facts.

Responsibility to Ask Questions and Share Information

To safeguard your right to purchase appropriate coverage at a competitive price, you should ask questions about your policy so that you understand what it covers and what your obligations are under it. You can access information through brochures and websites, as well as through one-on-one meetings with your broker, agent, or company representative. You have the option to shop the marketplace for the combination of coverages and service levels that best suits your insurance needs. To maintain your protection against loss, you must promptly inform your insurance company or broker or agent of any change in your circumstances.

Right to Complaint Resolution

Insurance companies, their brokers and agents are committed to high standards of customer service. If you have a complaint about the service you have received, you have a right to access your company's complaint resolution process. Your insurer, agent or broker can provide you with information about how you can ensure that your complaint is heard and promptly handled. Disputes involving claims settlement matters may be handled by the independent General Insurance OmbudService www.gio-scad.org where your complaint may be referred to an independent mediator.

Responsibility to Resolve Disputes

You should always enter into the dispute resolution process in good faith, provide required information in a timely manner, and remain open to recommendations made by independent observers as part of that process.

Right to Professional Service

You have the right to deal with insurance professionals who exhibit a high ethical standard, which includes acting with honesty, integrity, fairness and skill. Brokers and agents must exhibit extensive knowledge of the product, its coverages and its limitations in order to best serve you. These standards are outlined in A Consumer’s Guide to Property and Casualty Insurance Transactions, supported by members of the Insurance Brokers Association of Canada.

Right to Privacy

Because it is important for you to disclose any and all information required by an insurer to provide the insurance coverage that best suits you, you have the right to know that your information will be used for the purpose set out in the privacy statement made available to you by your broker, agent or insurance representative. This information will not be disclosed to anyone except as permitted by law. You should know that insurers are subject to Canada's privacy laws. "

From your post above..

"Code of Consumer Rights and Responsibilities'

Your rights include the right to be informed fully, to be treated fairly.

Insurance companies, their brokers and agents are committed to high standards of customer service.

You have the right to deal with insurance professionals who exhibit a high ethical standard, which includes acting with honesty, integrity, fairness and skill.

~

Scored 0 out of 10 so far I'd say.

I would speak to the highest person at the Insurer you can speak to... Each Adjuster have their "delegated authority" - the amount of a claim they can deal with without the claim being referred. It is possible that the adjusters report is being transferred between the Insurance Claims handlers with 5/10k worth of authority. It sounds like your settlement is a high one, so the higher you get, the better chance you have of getting your cheque quicker.

Abbey - owed £3260 - Paid up.

Barclays owed £2500 - Paid up.

Halifax, Mint & Egg - next on the hit list

Dont click on the scales - I'm quite proud of my little red dot! - As the little red dot has gone - click away!!!!