Car insurance claim dispute

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5333 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I was involved in an accident with another vehicle over a year ago and the other vehicle drove into my rear offside bumper on exiting an island. The damage to the other vehicle was a broken bumper, headlamp, dented wing and slight damage to the bonnet. The damage to my vehicle was a small scratch on the rear bumper. I did not claim but the other driver has claimed against me and having spoken to him following the accident he revealed that he was going to put his car into a garage which wasn't authorised by the insurance company, 'More Than'. After giving a statement of the accident to my insurance company they have now decided (after a year) that as there were no witnesses it will be a 50/50 split and I will have to pay half of the other driver's bill (approx 300 -400 pounds!). The other driver will not have to pay anything as I didn't claim. Is it correct that I should have to pay half of his repair bill or should it be half of his excess or nothing? (we are both insured with the same insurer, More Than). The damage the other driver is claiming for seems to be a bit excessive in comparison with mine and leads me to think he might be pulling the wool over the insurance company's eyes! - in fact I wonder if the damage was already there before he hit me. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Sounds like you are getting ripped off by your insurers. They have probably figured out that as you are both insured with them, if they blame you both, they can charge both of you your excesses and reduce both your no-claim bonuses - hence cheapest solution for the insurance company! Go back and say you deny any blame and that the damage is to th efront of his car and the rear of yours hence proves he drove into you. They will probably dismiss this but its worth a try; then you'll either have to pay up or consider litigation - a small claim to recover your excess and any loss in NCB. The insurers will probably not want the hassle of this and may then back down. Good luck.

Sounds like you are getting ripped off by your insurers. They have probably figured out that as you are both insured with them, if they blame you both, they can charge both of you your excesses and reduce both your no-claim bonuses - hence cheapest solution for the insurance company! Go back and say you deny any blame and that the damage is to th efront of his car and the rear of yours hence proves he drove into you. They will probably dismiss this but its worth a try; then you'll either have to pay up or consider litigation - a small claim to recover your excess and any loss in NCB. The insurers will probably not want the hassle of this and may then back down. Good luck.

I second this, and also try the Financial Ombudsman.

Me v Barlcays Bank - Claim Stayed

Me v Jaguar Cars 1 - Won £1650

Me v Jaguar Cars 2 - Winning

Me v London Borough of Newham - Won, Warrant of Execution live