Kwikfit Insurance Cancelled

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5224 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Due to Kwikfit being enormously overpriced (and slapping some big charges on top of my policy when I wanted to add a minor addition to my policy....key cover) I decided to cancel my policy and take out new cover with another provider. I cancelled my Direct Debit with Kwikfit and sent them a letter telling them I was wanting to cancel the policy.

I got no response but have just received a letter telling me that THEY have cancelled the account and that I have to pay the balance. They say if its not paid within 28 days they will take it from my card (which they have the details for) but Im sure they can't do that without permission.

Then they are threatening to send it to a DCA. Any suggestions on where to go next ?? Ignore it or send them a snotty letter ??

Capital One - Took them to court and they settled for the full £998

Aqua - Threatened legal action, they refunded the whole £424

Barclaycard - Threatened legal action, they refunded the whole £636

RBS/Universa - 1st letter sent, settled for £132

Virgin Media - 1st Judge great....second Judge couldn't even be bothered to read the case details

hi,

I would suggest contacting them now, to avoid it being passed out to a DCA as it will be an automated process and will be with some harassing DCA firm before you know it, do you have a copy of your letter requesting cancellation? if so, enclose a copy, also enclose your certificate of insurance, which shows that you have no intention of using this as proof of insurance once the policy is cancelled- it will just be another excuse why they wont cancel!

make sure you send everything recorded delivery.

If all else fails and it goes to a DCA, you can then provide documentary evidence that the debt is disputed and under the OFT Collection Guidelines the debt cannot be enforced whilst the dispute remains unresolved.

good luck

Insurance Guy

If I can offer any help I will....

I have experience in Fault, Non-Fault & Disputed Liability Motor Claims for vehicle damage and hire, and some experience in Personal Injury Claims

If I've helped- please click my scales :D

ANY ASSISTANCE IS GIVEN ENTIRELY WITHOUT PREJUDICE- YOU SHOULD SEEK INDEPENDANT LEGAL ADVICE TO CONFIRM ANY ADVICE GIVEN

FEEL FREE TO PM ME A LINK TO YOUR THREAD IF YOU WOULD LIKE ADVICE 8-)

Sorry wrong post

Finally if you succeed with your claim please consider a donation to consumer action group as those donations keep this site alive.

R.I.P BOB aka ROOSTER-UK you have always been a Gent on these boards and you will be remembered for that.

No I cancelled mid-term when I discovered that I had been charged almost £100 in charges for adding additional key fob cover (costing something like £5) and for changing my address.

Virgin Media - 1st Judge great....second Judge couldn't even be bothered to read the case details

Accidentally 'lose' your debit card and phone your bank to get it cancelled and a new one issued. I had to do that to stop an automatic renewal thing going through.

That should at least stop them taking money off your card. Can't help on the DCA though sorry.

Already done that :)

• 4 weeks later...

LOvely letter turned up today where they said they hadn't received the cancellation letter, but they'd listened to my phone calls to them.....and apparently I still owe the outstanding amount for the full amount, which now includes a £50 cancellation charge and another £25 charge as well.

Right, finally got 5 minutes to add to this, basically posting what I was sent with regards dates and figures.

Inception Date: 25/02/2009

Cancellation Date: 07/08/2009

Days on Cover: 164

Annual Premium: £337.53

Instalment Charge: £44.19

Cancellation Charge: £50.00

Amount Due: £245.85

Final Totals:

Total Amount Due: £431.27

Total Amount Paid: £202.87

Cash Back: £0.00

Total Amount Outstanding: £228.40 (Customer owes KFIS)

Right.....if I've cancelled half way through how the F can I owe more than the total amount for the year , especially when I've paid more than half the full years cover????

• 1 month later...

Anyone able to assist with this ? As I've officially disputed it with Kwikfit and they've done the usual company thing of passing it on to a DCA/Solicitors

• 2 weeks later...

This has now gone to Buchanan Clark and West who are sending some really nasty letters now. My instinct is to send them a "get stuffed" letter pointing out that I've paid over half the amount which is more than the time provided. And that the instalment charge is a bogus charge and the cancellation charge is an unlawful penalty charge.

Anyone able to offer advice ?

• 5 weeks later...

Due to the fact that over 6 months of cover has been paid for and provided, and the Cancellation charge is an illegal penalty charge and the installment charge is not clearly defined under Consumer Credit Law, Im going to tell BCW and Kwikfit that the cover provided has been paid for and they can get stuff for the rest as they.

a. Did not provide the additional cover

b. Are attempting to charge an illegal charge

c. Are attempting to charge a non-clearly defined charge (thus also illegal)

Should I threaten to counter-sue for harrassment, and their unlawful business practices ??