Car Insurance alleged claim??????

rogermeard
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5329 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I got a letter today from our car insurers saying a claim has been intimated against us.

Having asked my wife about any incidents to which we have had none,

i phoned our insurance company who have said they have been approached by a solicitor regards a claim of an incident back in February of this year.

Again we have absolutely no recollection of an incident at all.

Our insurance company have said they will investigate,

require proof of incident etc etc.

Our insurance company also stated the details they have regards this are very basic and sketchy at this present time.

So.......

a) Why has it taken until now before our insurance company has been contacted.6 months??

b) If we have no recollection of an incident , then where do we stand.

It all sounds a bit dubious to me really. Any advice or thoughts?

you just have to wait and challenge the allegations when they come in. Usually they are always something trivial (supermarket car parks etc) "you scuffed my bumper,i now have whiplash";)

in answer to your q`s

A) because they have been approached by an ambulance chaser

B) they have to provide evidence that you were involved etc if your 100% you have not been in an incident,nothing to worry about.

Could be the third part has taken the reg number incorrectly and has come up with yours.

Have your ins company given your the circumstances of the claim?

No, the insurance company we are with is DL, they have no real details at this point, they are stating they have just recieved a letter from the claimants solicitor so they wrote to us asking what the incident was, they also said the same as you above that it could be a mistaken reg number.

To which we said there was no incident, my wife drives the vehicle and is far too honest for her own good really and would have definitely reported any incident at all, no matter how trivial, i am 100% sure of that without question.

Will wait and see what happens??

Still puzzled as to why they have taken 6 months before contacting our insurers whoever they are?

It could easily be that someone got the wrong registration number - it happens quite a bit.

Simply tell your insurer that you dispute any claim and if they persist, ask for the details the TP has on you - make / model of car, colour etc. DL should of course already have this, but they will undoubtedly cite the DPA as grounds for not telling you what someone else has said about you.

Dont worry about it, if your insurer is DL then nothing to worry, I had a similiar case, and my insurer is DL, there came round and asked a few questions checked the car out for damage, I must say the questions was like a interrogation but if you answer with the truth you got nothing to worry about, there just want to make sure no one is lying about it. in my case its been a year now and the other party who put the claim through came up with no evidence, and the claim should close down this month, need to ring them.

nothing to worry about, have a quick check of the car to see if any damaged if not, just stand firm and dispute, also has DL asked for the excess?? the answer should be no, and will always be no in this case.

• 1 month later...

Wife's insurance renewal has just come through and they have taken off 2 years No Claims, so i phoned them up as the premium is now higher. They said its because of this alleged claim against us which they are still investigating. Now i don't understand this as they have NOT paid out anything and the claim is still alleged and being investigated so how come the No Claims has been affected??????????????

Yeah that sucks - they always do that. Guilty until proven innocent. They should refund the overpayment if the claim is thrown out or settled in your favour though. Ask for clarification.

I would complain direct to the top of the company and get them to sort it out pronto. Can the other party even correctly identify the make/model/colour of your car for example?

-->> Supporting Dog Rescue <<--

Our insurance company are writing to them to ask that , they want description of the driver (us), make/model/colour of vehicle (ours), location of alleged claim/incident and confirmation of the name of the driver as the other party has stated a name to our insurers that was driving our car and our insurers have said that it sounds nothing like mine or my wifes names.

So i think its a mistaken id?