Old bank account tracing

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5321 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

If you still have your account number and know when the transaction took place you could try telephone banking, they might be able to help.

Or you could order copies of your statements going back 6yrs. There will be a charge for this I think it is still £10 for the full 6 yrs worth

yep SAR RBS..

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

It will still be available on the live system. Closed account details remain there for 12 months. After that you need to order historic statements which cost £5 for one page, £10 for 2 or more. All you need is the sort code and account number. It could be found without these but will take a fair bit longer.

Something that recent should be traceable anything over six or seven years (cheques ets) are usually thrown out to create space. Banks may have micro fische records of statements and will charge to discourage you.

Generally they are mean and don't even treat there Staff well (despite claims to the contary). I have a long running dispute over discrimination against me and they have provided no evidence to contradict me but stubbornly refuse to cincede (at date of writing)

Often you can get one over them by looking else where or closing accounts as they re lie on innertia It is often a small but satisfying victory. There used to be a trick with cashpoint machines but I can't tell anyone how and it might not work any more.

There used to be a trick with cashpoint machines but I can't tell anyone how and it might not work any more.

In that case please do not pass on any details about that on the forum, you cannot be sure what others might do with the information. Also, it may place CAG in a compromising situation should the details be leaked to other forums or media.

Help us to keep on helping

Please consider making a donation, however small, if you have benefited from advice on the forums

This site is run solely on donations

My advice is based on my opinion and experience only. It is not to be taken as legal advice - if you are unsure you should seek professional help.

I think K3V1N might not be all he seems.

If he was he would know that cheques are not processed by banks (haven't been for many years) but by BACS and are scanned the day they receive them and then sent to storage agents like Iron Mountain. They cannot "throw them away to save space" because under the Cheques Act 1957 requires the paying institution to retain the "instrument of payment" for a minimum period.

So although scanned images and data from BACS are used for expediency, under the Act, the actual cheque must still be physically retained and stored securely.

As the live data systems have finite memory capacity they tend to keep a maximum of 12 months data which is updated on a monthly basis.

They must keep microfiche files to provide data after the live information has been replaced. If they didn't they would have serious issues with the authorities and regulators.

As for the ATM trick, if its the one I'm thinking of, that was sorted within a couple of months of the switch from dedicated, own bank only access to allowing customers to use any bank's machine and depended on inefficient links within the network not keeping up with previous transactions.

Obviously there was no way that the main banks could permit that situation to continue so it was resolved PDQ.

Finally I have difficulty understanding how switching banks helps you get information about a closed account?

• 4 weeks later...

So you'll be able to get one of your own cheques from 10 years ago as your bank continues to horde them.

Interesting you admit to problems in the system.

As a bank spokesman isn't in your interest to discourage customers to purchase financial products elsewhere?