• Tweets

• Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 160 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

seaweasel vs RBS - pre-action

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6377 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi everyone

I'm considering taking RBS to small claims as I was recently charged about £80 in a week and estimate that I've been charged at least £200 or £300 in the past 5 years. As a first step I wrote to my manager to refund the recent charges and she offered me £45 as a final settlement which I accepted conditionally (on the basis that I reserve the right to take further action to recover any charges). I just posted that letter yesterday.

Anyway, I'd actually been looking into small claims against HBOS for my fiance and in the meantime this happened with RBS and I thought that they probably owe me quite a bit. I'm sending off a DPA request soon however I'm a little concerned about things getting nasty and wanted to get some peoples expeience of dealing with RBS.

I've got quite big overdraft (which was just increased) which I've had for a long time and I'm a bit worried that if I take legal action, they'll call it in and close my account. Obviously this is a risk I'd have to be aware of but I can't afford to pay it off so I was wondering how likely this would be. How nasty have RBS gotten with other people?

And HBOS for that matter. I think my fiance will be moving bank and paying off her OD before she claims though. Unfortunately (although I've also got an HBOS account already) I can't really get rid of my overdraft.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Craig

Royal Bank of Scotland - settled

seaweasel is not a lawyer

i have a similar worry with my action. I have an overdraft with the BOS and i worry that if i take action against them to recover charges they will call in my overdraft facility, close account etc. Its not a problem to open up another account at another bank just paying back the overdraft. (though i suspect it wont be much of a problem if they pay back the charges first!!)

My other alternative is to go into my bank and ask them under what conditions would they deem an overdraft facility null and void (and get a writtent statement to this effect? or something?). (they have just recently renewed my own overdraft account) Given the fact they have renewed my overdraft then is this evidence of them *accepting* that i fall under the permissible conditions of allowable overdrafts? So if they then come back and say (after i start claiming against them) that they are cancelling my overdraft because ive broken X condition ergo they reserve right to withhold it anytime.

In other words should they be allowed to close down an overdraft facility where before they did not and there is no change in circumstances.

thanks

HBOS - Data Protection Act Request 03/08/06

HBOS - Statements received 29/08/06

HBOS - Preliminary Letter Asking for it Back 01/09/06

HBOS - LBA Sent 19/09/06

HBOS - Moneyclaim filed 06/10/06

HBOS - acknowledged claim 11/10/06

HBOS - partial offer received for £716 16/10/06

HBOS - I THINK I MIGHT HAVE WON!! HBOS credit my account

with £2341 + costs/interest!! will know details soon

26/10/06

Thanks CJ. Just to clarify, do you mean asking the bank under what circumstances the overdraft could be cancelled (i.e. taking legal action against them) and if they later cancelled it for something not covered by the T&C, they'd be in breach?

yeah :) I think its in the T & Cs that they can cancel it if your account is in bad shape (ie lots of charges!) but im not sure.

But the wording might be in there where it says they "reserve the right to withhold it at any time" or something along those lines. So while in practice they accept customers who end up with a lot of charges on their overdraft (coz its quids in for them!!!!) but in theory they can use this as evidence to pull it anytime.

So what i was hoping is that if they sign a statement saying they are happy for me to continue with my overdraft facility (i thought them renewing it indicates this but you cant be too careful!!) even though there have been lots of charges on it over the years (though not in the last couple of months)

I remember asking a bank teller a week ago (when it was due for renewal) about this and she said it is automatically annually renewed unless it is flagged up as being unmanageable and then they try to get you to go on a loan from them.

They have actually tried this with me a long time ago (when my situation and charges were LEGION!) but i didnt meet their own criteria and conditions of acceptance to get a loan!!!!!!! I could be wrong about this though my memory is not 100% on it.

But yes i think it is breach of the banking code for them to respond to legal action against them by closing the customer account/cancelling overdraft. Undoubtably they would "find" another reason for closing the account. I'm just thinking about ways of limiting their ways of closing it the account/and or the overdraft.

hope thats nice and clear! :)

I dunno though...this is just me guessing! so best to wait for a 'higher up' to clarify.

HBOS - LBA Sent 19/09/06

26/10/06

spoke to my local BOS branch manager..

legally they can call in any overdrafts and loans you have with them at any time. They dont need a reason. According to what he said. :|

HBOS - LBA Sent 19/09/06

26/10/06

Handed in my SAR to my local branch today and asked them to send it to head office. I didn't have my cheque book on me so I asked about giving them cash but the guy said that the payment would just be taken from my account. I mentioned that if I didn't include the £10 they might use it as an excuse not to issue the information but he said that the bank had to do it and that they'd write to me confirming my request. He seemed a bit bewildered at first by the letter but then assured me that they usually just debit the amount from accounts for SARs so I'll believe him for now and see what happens.

• 2 weeks later...

I phoned my local RBS branch today to check the progress of my S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) but the girl I spoke to couldn't find any reference to it. She said that she'd check with another office in Glasgow and in the meantime I could phone Head Office, which I did. I spoke to someone in the Retail Regulatory Risk department who told me that they hadn't had my letter or fee through and that I shouldn't have been told that I would receive a confirmation or that they could debit the fee from my account. She asked for the phone number of the branch I handed it into and they phoned me back within minutes saying that they'd 'looked into it' (or been shouted at perhaps) and that I'd need to come in to the branch and fill in a form. I can't make it into a branch until Monday or Tuesday so I asked for the direct address for the relevant department. I also reminded them that they have about 24 days left to comply.

Since they've lost my letter I need to either send another one or go and fill in that form, although I'm not sure where my chequebook is. I suppose I can use a postal order.

I'd been considering getting statements for my old RBS visa but didn't want to pay another £10 (closed it in about 2002 or 2003), but I suppose if I have to hand in another letter I could add that account to it too?

Another development. Phoned my branch as I hadn't received a reply regarding my acceptance of the £45 as a partial settlement of the £78. Had a drawn out conversation with them about how my letter was ambigious (alledgedly) and that they were waiting on me clarifying it (although they didn't tell me this). I basically said (interspersed with the legal arguments about charges) that I'd like the money but if they won't give me it, that's fine, as long as I know what's happening. She eventually asked if I wanted it to be credited and I agreed, however I'd been pretty clear that I wouldn't accept this as a full and final settlement and that even if I did, the Bank couldn't legally prevent me taking further action in future.

Edit: Just a thought, will the bank argue that the very act of them giving me the money means I've accepted it as a full and final settlement?

Since RBS claim they've lost my SAR, should I send another one or just ride it out and write a letter to the Data Protection Commissioner (or write a letter to the bank threatening legal action as I noticed someone else has recently)?

Received a letter from Retail Regulatory Risk today saying that they'd be happy to send out my statements if I send them a fee of £5 so my SAR must have turned up after all. Just tried to phone RBS Cards to see if I could get an account number for my old Visa but they couldn't find it, thought it might be an idea to see if I had any charges from that too (don't remember many though).

• 2 weeks later...

Strangely RBS didn't cash my cheque and took the £5.00 from my account, anyway my statements arrived today, much quicker than expected (and back to July 2000).

Added up the charges and it comes to £823. I know this is a bit noob but I'm still not sure if I can claim unauthorised overdraft interest (I have a student account). If I can it comes to £46.70, a total of £869.70. Time to get prelim letter sent off.

Edit/bump:

One quick question before I send my prelim letter off: I did some searching and it does seem that I could claim OD interest in theory but I've noticed that all the interest on my statements is in a chunk at the beginning and doesn't seem to relate directly to any charges (although I have an interest free overdraft). Any ideas?

Sent away my prelim letter on Friday the 8th. Decided not to go for overdraft interest as a lot of it didn't relate to specific charges and would have been difficult to prove.

FAO Mods - could someone change my thread subject to just "seaweasel vs RBS"? Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

First deadline today, no response from RBS. Shall get my LBA sent off tonight.

Forgot to mention, I got a letter through from CS in Edinburgh earlier this week apologising for taking £5 from my account for the statements and refunding it. They didn't cash the cheque I sent either however. This made me wonder if they're dealing with my prelim letter as I doubt anyone would be looking at my account otherwise.

FAO Mods - could someone change my thread subject to just "seaweasel vs RBS"? Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...

Received copy of the previous letter on Monday (he seemed to think I hadn't got it through). I posted a letter extending my deadline until the 16th and got an offer of £510 today. I've replied with an edited thanks-but-no-thanks letter saying that I'll go ahead with the claim if I don't have a postitive response. In both letters I've stressed that I'm an otherwise satisfied customer and expressed my desire to settle the matter amicably, hopefully this will be the case.