overpayment can I get it back?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5352 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all

Only found out in July that paid full council tax for last five years when I did not need to, genuine mistake on my part, can prove was not liable, can I claim it back ?. Wrote to them but had no reply yet.

Regards bish

Abbey : £8070.41*PAID IN FULL*14/02/07:D

Capital one : LBA sent 17/09/06 £1,087.22

Marbles : LBA sent 17/09/06 £720.00 ; £720 offer accepted:D

Guest Old_andrew2018

You might be able too, my reply is simply to BUMP your thread, what is your basis for claiming a reduction, when did you write to the LA

Andy

Absolutely! Contact, or better still, visit your local council finance office and ask for a council tax recalim form. just like HMRC, councils cannot legally keep funds they're not entitled to.

Ther may be issues with claiming interest on top so be prepared to fail on that patricular aspect, but if you don't ask....

Hi all and thanks for the comments, very helpfull. I wrote to them letter dated 10th July. The reason I did not claim council tax benefit was because the last time I claimed any benefit was back in 1997 when unemployed. I went self employed in 1998 and have had no reason to claim any benefit until recently. The only reason it came to light was because for tax year April 07 to April 08 I made a small loss and therefore paid no income tax, accounts went in end of January 2009 for that tax year, council tax bailifs turned up in June for arrears from 08/09, paid them but dawned on me that paid no income tax for that year, but paid £25 per week council tax, this obviously prompted me to look into why. I found that I was looking at gross income rather than gross profit so thought I had no entitlement and had to pay it. I do my own books and self asses so do not use an accountant who would have seen this school boy error. I worked full time, earned X amount and paid income tax so assumed I had no entitlement to any benefits. Looking at the past five years profits and comparing them to last financial year they average about the same, as we have been granted full council tax benefit for this year, or from July when we put the claim in, assume I have overpaid for previous five years. Angry as they would not even back date the claim three months, as my excuse of not knowing was not good enough, their assesment not mine. I was working with the wrong information as opposed to not knowing.

Same thing with working tax credits, never heard of them, heard of family tax credits, but not these. It appears we are entitled to these as well dating back 5 years. It appears that the rules change and knew things are introduced, but lets keep them secret from people. These are dealt with by inland revenue, the same people who I file my tax return with, yet no information from them regarding this.

Just tried to pay my way, wife fell ill in 2005 and had to stop work, lost her earnings and my profits took a nose dive due to a number of factors. Just been told have £3850.00 added to my mortgage for late payments and arrears, sick of being ripped off. Never been one to claim anything but now want back what I should not have paid, so any help is much appreciated.

Regards bish.

Abbey : £8070.41*PAID IN FULL*14/02/07:D

Capital one : LBA sent 17/09/06 £1,087.22

Marbles : LBA sent 17/09/06 £720.00 ; £720 offer accepted:D