3 Liability orders just arrived by post and I'm on JSA, they want paying immediately! Help!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5360 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I just received 3 liabilty orderes. First one Says

Liability Order hearing Date 30th Sept 2005. Liability Order Granted for £641.02. Balance £73,75 Total Outstanding £73.75

Second one...

Liability Order hearing Date 25th August 2006. Liability order Granted for £664.29. Balance £704.29 Total Outstanding £704.29

Third, and last one...

Liability Order hearing Date 27th June 2007. Liability Order granted For £689.59. Balance £384.79. Total Outstanding £384.79

I'm only on JSA, and have been since 07 March 2007. I never received any letters saying about any liability hearing at all. I was working from Oct 2003 until March 2007. There was a period when I couldn't pay the council tax for 2006, as they had an attachment of earnings on my wages of £130 a month, then expected me to pay £70 a month for the current year. I had my tax credits stopped and my final wage, after all the deductions and WT credit taken off was around £400 a month, for full time work. Getting sacked was like a weight off my mind, but I'n now stuck in the horrible benefit trap.

On these liabilty letters I got today, it says i have to supply info about my earnings. I get £118 every fortnight. Is it possible to offer £2 a week for each of all three letters? That would make it £12 a fortnight, leaving me with £108 for the fortnight.

Paying them nearly £1200 from JSA is next on impossible. I've tried my best to find work, but there just isn't anything out there. My main question would be, if I made this offer, I have a feeling they would say this is unacceptable, and demand a hell of a lot more, which I can't afford.

I've only just sorted out an £890 water bill, which the United Utilities trust fund paid off, and now I make regular payments to them, but was offered a loan by a loan shark before the debt was cleared. I turned it down, didn't want to go down this road, but now these three letters have started to really worry me about bailifs, and the idea of contacting the loan shark is rearing it's ugly head.

I've been thinking that if I make this offer, and if they say no, will they take me to court, demanding more money, and the judge can see I've made on offer to start paying off THREE council tax bills from my benfits, or will they just send the baillifs round instead, to take all my stuff? I'm not denying the debt at all, just want a way to pay what i can without the threat of DCA's and baillifs. I know I'm not gonna sleep tonight now, cos it's been racing through my head all day.

Any advice would be much appreciated. i have to send the forms about making a payment offer in this week.

edit: I'm actually getting really scared now. I've been reading that these amounts have to be repaid in 12 months or bailifs will be here to take my stuff. I am seriously considering leaving my home I've lived in for 11 years and doing a runner, as I'm seeing no way out of this mess. This all happened because the tax credit people decided to stop my money and say I owe them £3000 pound. They said I didn't give the info they needed. I did, it was online. They then told me that they no longer deal with claims online, so any info there would not be counted. I really hope someone can put my mind at ease, because right now, I'm worried sick.

Edited by skonk

i cant really help u as i have no expierence with council tax but i will say do not worry about this tonite get some sleep then in the morning bump the message back to the top as there will be more caggers about then

Finally if you succeed with your claim please consider a donation to consumer action group as those donations keep this site alive.

R.I.P BOB aka ROOSTER-UK you have always been a Gent on these boards and you will be remembered for that.

You need to write a detailed letter to them, explaining the payments were made by attachment of earnings, and supply them with all the relevant payment dates. Also let them know you are on benefits now as you should have council tax relief,

If they send a bailiff round you do not let them in, you do not pay 3 x charges for each order, one visit covers each order. However that is some way away yet.

It sounds like the council have screwed up. You also need to go to the local Citizens Advice Bureau and they should be able to help.

You don't say if you have children, if you do you are vulnerable and the council needs to stop the liability order going to bailiffs.

You also need to get the CAB to deal with the tax credit people for you - they should be able to help, if not you get onto your local MP. That is what they are there for.

A Bailiff cannot 'take all of your stuff' although they will probably try listing items on a walking possession - DO NOT SIGN ANYTHING FROM A BAILIFF as they think they can bump up fees for this. There are limited fees they can charge for council tax collection and they cannot charge for each liability order (even though they say they can).

do nt let the bailiff in under any circumtances even if they want to go to the loo or just make a phone call.. they will even try to claim that they will come back later with the police to force entry if you havent let them in they cant force entry point balnk.

their first charge should be around 24 pound for the first visit and 18 pound for the second visit. .

it will be also a good idea to give a phone call to national debtline they may be able to help you.

Thanks for all your advice.I'm going to put on the form £2 a week on all three forms, and hand deliver it and get a receipt for it from the council on monday and see what happens then. In the meantime, I will make an appointment with the CAB next week. At least if I've made an offer, it'll be on record, and I can then see the CAB and discuss with them the situation in case they reject my offer.