Insurance trying to get out of claim! Help

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5392 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I put in a claim back in October 2008 for secondary flooding due to flooding in the area back in June 2007.

After numerous companies being sent by Cunningham Lyndsey and me having to get my own Surveyors report as i disputed theirs this is what they have finally threw at me, baring in mind that my report also picked up on false comments from their report.

As you will see i did not have the policy until the 29th of June 2007, but at the time there was flooding in the area but we did not suffer from this, we are claiming for secondary flooding which i beleive is a totally different matter.

I was told that secondary flooding is where the flood water in the area has to find somewhere to go and weeks later can come up through your floors without you even knowing, this is why we did not make a claim until October 2008!!

Why have they spent a fortune sending in various companies and sending me a mandate for my flooring for £1700 to say your policy was not valid!!

Also why does this letter just not say you had no policy with us FULL STOP, why continue.....

Many thanks

Mr Moss

Letter sent is below:

Dear Mr Moss

Insurance claim

I write further in connection with the above matter.

I have now received further instructions from your Insurers.

Firstly the floods of June 2007 occurred on 15 June and predominantly 25 June. Your policy commenced with Zurich after the floods occurred on 29 June 2007. This policy was therefore not in force at the time of the floods.

The contents of the Surveyor’s report and other available information have been considered by your Insurers. Your Insurers are of the opinion that any dampness or damage at your property is not attributable to the effects of flooding that occurred in June 2007.

Whilst it is acknowledged that flood water may have entered the floor void, briefly touching timber joists, flood water did not actually enter your property. The visible damage within your property is not a result of flood water entering the floor void but is in your Insurers’ opinion a gradual result of the deterioration of original damp proof courses and general historical defects.

As there is no evidence of damage by flood or any other cause covered by your policy, your insurers are unable to deal with your claim. I trust this clarifies the position but should you wish to discuss this matter further please do not hesitate to contact ourselves at the above address.

Yours sincerely

Cunningham Lyndsey

It sounds like they were being thorough. Where I had cases of no policy in effect, I would nevertheless comment on the incident (in terms of liability, cause etc) purely as a courtesy.

Some articles here may put some light on the matter:

issue 68,complaints involving buildings insurance

Did you have insurance covering the period of the floods? If so your insurer could have at least advised you to contact them, or to do the work themselves and claim it from your previous insurer.