Council wanting payment for clearing road after car crash HELP !!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5385 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Back in sept 2005 I crashed my partners cars. local council came after me for clearing the road of oil and debris. I rang the council to say that the people who cleared the road put all the debris in the car ripping the leather/ roof lining and asking them if they were going to pay for that !! Also one of the council workers went around the local area saying my partner was driving and he was drunk ! So I threatened legal action for slander and deformation of character. I heard nothing then in aug 2006 another letter I once again told them on the phone and also by letter. I was told when rang that the issue had been resolved and recived a verbal

apology. Today 20/07/09 a debt collector has called at my mothers house and left a letter regarding payment to the council for clearing the road. Anyone have any idea where I stand.

Guest Old_andrew2018

I think you may eventually have to pay, councils have a duty to recover these costs.

You could write the debt collector rejecting their claim, they may send it back to the council, IMHO if they issued a county court they stand a good chance of success.

Andy

Guest Old_andrew2018

Have you contacted your insurance company, if not it may be worth doing so.

The insurance company however may not pay those additional costs which accrued after you refused to settle, the legislation relied on my the council I believe is the HIGHWAYS ACT 1980.

Andy