help insurance company got policy dates wrong

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5366 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I have an insurance policy which I changed my car on, on the 25th Jun 09 as it's an online insurance company you have to email them on the day you want it changed if you want the cover to be immediate. I did this and have proof. The named driver was using the car and was pulled over by the police saying he had no insurance, they let him go with a ticket to produce the insurance certificate and on inspection of the certificate they have not changed the details on the 25 June as I asked but from the 25th July. Even though this is their mistake they do not care and refuse to back date the policy as they say it is illegal, I asked for them to send me a letter detailing their mistake but they refused. They told me that I would have to use the certificate that they would change today, from todays date and the police could call them and they would explain this was a human error on my part and that I wasn't trying to get away with no insurance. I called the police and asked if this was ok and they said no, the car was still uninsured on the day and the points and fine would be imposed in court. I've made an official complaint to the insurance company. I just dont know what to do.

You are not actually asking for them to back-date the cover if it was a human error.

When I worked in a brokers we used to issue a covernote and then send that to insurers, they would then issue the certificate with the corresponding date on the covernote.

I cannot see there is a problem as I would imagine its much the same process, forward them a copy of the email and ask them to re-issue it correctly.

does the email confirmation you received from them confirm the dates cover requested? and are they correct? double check what you requested to what was received.

if their error they can indemnify the named driver. Log a complaint and advise that you or the nd are seeking compensation. Your lucky he just got a producer and the vehicle was not seized, then you would have had impound fees etc.

I had an auto email acknowleging reciept and than a standard email stating my changes had been made, so I assumed that was it and started driving the car. Lent it to my partner for 1 day and he gets pulled over. They mentioned an indemnity letter and the lady I was speaking to went to speak to her supervisor who said I could not have one as it was my fault the details were wrong. All I want to do is prove to the police that I was covered or should have been. I am not trying to claim against the policy.

Do you have a copy of the email you sent to the company? If you use an email service like Hotmail, it automatically saves your sent emails to the Sent folder, along with the date and time you sent it. That could serve as proof that you requested the policy to start on the 25th of June.

Thanks for your help. I did have copies of the email and they also found a copy. I had to make a complaint in writting and over the phone and they are going to issue an indemnity letter. Thankfully. A lot of hard work and arguing paid off.