Are You Liable for Council Tax On Job Seekers Allowance & Unemployed?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5363 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi, it's been mentioned several times in this forum, if you're unemployed or on jobseekers allowance you're not liable for council tax. Could anyone confirm this or provide the relevant rules or statutes etc.

I've basically had a liability order for missing a council tax payment, occurred during trying to get my council tax benefits sorted out.

Can i get an attachment for £3.00 a week on my jobseekrs allowance, or something?

thnx

There's a difference between owing Council Tax and being liable for Council Tax, you can have full liability but not have pay any council tax (e.g exempt).

If you are the resident owner or tenant then you are liable for the council tax regardless however any council tax you owe may be paid by Council Tax Benefit.

Council Tax (Administration and Enforcement Regs) 1992 reg 6 covers liability.

As long as you can prove you are on jobseekers (not sure if it has to be income based or not), but they come to your house and ask for proof of JSA along with any proof for Child Tax credits. They then ask if anyone in the house is working and if so will base the amount that has to be paid on the wages coming into the home.

Hi, it's been mentioned several times in this forum, if you're unemployed or on jobseekers allowance you're not liable for council tax. Could anyone confirm this or provide the relevant rules or statutes etc.

Hi roony, every householder is liable for council tax. Whether or not you are eligible to pay it is another matter. If you are on jobseekers allowance and can prove it, then you should be entitled to council tax benefit. Your claim for CTB will have been done at the same time you claims JSA. Even on JSA you will still pay a portion of your Council Tax - usually just the water/sewerage side of it.

I live in Scotland and have been on JSA since Feb this year. My claim for CTB was made at the same time, but still hasn't been finalised - (long story, in another thread). I visited my citizen's advice bureau and they advised me to make token payments, which i have been doing since April.

Why not pay your local citizen's advice bureau a visit as they have been really helpful with me.

Best of luck & hope you get a quicker result that I have ;)

Edited by carolmac34

• 3 weeks later...

Hey, you can claim council tax benefit even if you are not on JSA.

I had a period of time where i had what was classed as 'nil income' where i wasn't in receipt of any wages or benefits.

I just had to take in bankstatements and last 5 wage slips to the council and it was all sorted from there. They can backdate.