Laptop replaced by insurance breaks out of warranty

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5365 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi I have a toshiba laptop which broke 4 times during warranty and has now just broken once again outside of warranty.

Before I chuck it do I have any rights since it wasn't really purchased (except for excess + additional fee to upgrade laptop being replaced on old for new policy).

Thanks

makes no diff.

i assume you mean this is one which replaced a previously broken one?

so what keeps going wrong?

seems pretty strange to me you broken one, got it replaced & have now stuffed another?

mighty unlucky in my books.

as there is a history of issues with the machine, i shouldd think it will be quite easy to justify it was never fit for purpose.

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Aye

Had a tecra 6*** series which had the standard power error failure job, had it replaced in 2005 paid excess + £500 to upgrade to tecra M4, mainly graphics problems (had the mainboard replaced each time) problems with this but now backlight invertor has gone.

l'm careful with them! After my toshiba played up for 2nd time it became a desktop replacement as I just don't trust it and now I use a HP day to day and that's never played up.

Cheers

Under UK consumer law any product bought has to be fit for purpose (up to a maximum of 6 years). This means that if you buy a laptop you would not consider that as an item that has a working period of just a few years - out of date and crap compared to new stuff maybe, but broken? No.

Go to the manufacturer and state that you know your statutory rights, and that the laptop breaking at this point means that you are entitled to a repar, replacement or your money back. Also state that due to the poor history of the machine that you would consider it in both of your interests for a replacement or refund to be issued, as if the machine breaks again in the near future you will continue to claim against the manufacturer.

That you got this under an insurance policy is immaterial. Products still have to be fit for purpose. You might find even better advice in one of the other forums (ones that deal with things like washing machines as they get this all the time!)

your first port of call is the point of purchase.

soga is not with the manu its with the POINT OF SALE.

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight...